Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not have a fuse, so it is an inert ball. I had a PM from someone saying they thought it was an odd weight for a land based cannon. I just called my buddy and he said he was just guesstimating the weight. He is going to stick it on a scale.

He also told me that he took it to the Greensboro Historical Museum curator who told him it was a civil war ball.

Of course the he also said the guy smelled like whiskey and mothballs sooooo.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
What is the Dia of it.
Any stamping, marks on it that could be used for info?

It could be a solid shot but is off in weight for what it should be.
The size of it should tell.
Several field guns were 12 lb and 24 lb guns. this are 4.5 and 5.67" if I remember.

I have several, solid shot always sells for less then a charged round.
The CS wood fuse 12 and 24lb sell for a good chunk.
Would need to get better pictures on the ball, any casting marks, pits, stuff like that.
Looks real good to be CW, my guess is it is a shotput or something like that from the weight.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the Dia of it.
Any stamping, marks on it that could be used for info?

It could be a solid shot but is off in weight for what it should be.
The size of it should tell.
Several field guns were 12 lb and 24 lb guns. this are 4.5 and 5.67" if I remember.

I have several, solid shot always sells for less then a charged round.
The CS wood fuse 12 and 24lb sell for a good chunk.
Would need to get better pictures on the ball, any casting marks, pits, stuff like that.
Looks real good to be CW, my guess is it is a shotput or something like that from the weight.
Thanks for the info. He's going to bring it to work tomorrow and we'll do some more research.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.