Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am looking for a plinking gun out to 200 yards or so. I have done the basic research on all three of these and from what I can tell the 17hmr is probably going to be the best option. I understand the ammo is a little more expensive, but it's still not bad.

For those of you that own them, what are your opinions on the 17hmr?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
.17 is the way to go for a flat shooting rimfire under 200yds. The furthest I have ever had the chance to shoot mine was 150. And it will nail golf balls all day at that range.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am probably going to go ahead and pick one up after all of the interwebz research I did today. They look like fun and IMO are still cheap to shoot, good ammo is <12 per brick of 50.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I haven't shot anything over 100 yds. with the HMR, but I can tell you it beats a 22 hands down, whether it's at a target or hunting small game/varmits...Just make sure you shootem' in the head...After you shoot one, you'll see why. Not sure about the 22 mag.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
17 HMR is an amazing rifle. I've got a Marlin 917VS (now sold as the XT-17VSFL) that I've had for a couple years. With no wind, I have pulled group sizes at 50 and 100 yards that are impossible with an equally priced .22lr.

Zero recoil, smooth trigger, solid stock and heavy barrel. Check out a Marlin.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have owned a couple of Marlin's in the past and been pleased with them. I was really looking into the Savage this time because of the accu trigger, but I will do some more searching now that you metion it. I also wouldn't get one with out the heavy barrel, it just seems like it's more balanced IMO.

Thanks for all of the feed back guys, keep it coming.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, so I was able to hold the Savage today at Dicks' while picking up my 10/22. The heavy barrel felt great, bolt wasn't bad, but the stock was terrible IMO. I am still going to pick one up, but I want to hold the Marlin before I make my final decision. I am probably going to keep the .17hmr stockish and just mess around with 10/22 builds so I really want the gun to feel good out of the box. Again, thanks for the info guys, I will post up when I purchase my new rifle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.