17HMR EXPLOSION Mag destroyed Volquartsen | Carolina Shooters Club

17HMR EXPLOSION Mag destroyed Volquartsen

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by crebid, May 2, 2020.

1. crebid

crebid Registered Member

I have a Volquartsen Predator in 17HMR , fairly rare. I was at the range today shooting Hornady 17 grain, I had ran twenty plus rounds of CCI 20 grain HP. I shot (17 grain) and the magazine blew out of the receiver in pieces. The projectile and brass case were left on the bench with the magazine pieces. Several guys shooting came over to see what happened. I am including pictures, check them out and see if you feel the same as one of them speculated. He felt that the bolt was pushing the round in the chamber and hit the rim enough it fired out of battery. It happened so fast I am not sure. I pulled the trigger and the round exploded.

Attached Files:

2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Wow. Out of battery detonations are so nasty. I'm glad you weren't injured.

Is the head of the case bent at all? I can't see a dent but if the bolt face crushed the head just enough to start the sequence, it wouldn't leave much of a a dent either.

Looks like the the projectile tip is flat. Could the magazine have been unlocked? The closest I came to having one was during a magazine change in a handgun competition. I hit the magazine release while the slide was back from the last shot. As the magazine fell, the slide cycled forward. The transfer bar on the bottom of the slide pushed the round into the back of the trigger, denting the primer and deep seating the projectile into the case. Not enough for detonation but enough to be scary.

You may never figure it out. Just glad again that you weren't hurt.

3. crebid

crebid Registered Member

You can see a ring a quarter inch from the back of the case head. There is no obvious bend in the case. I fired two 17 grain rounds, no issue the third round was the boom. It is possible the magazine was not seated all the way, now that you mentioned it. I had had a fail to feed earlier and it was not seated all the way. did not think that to be an issue as it fed the first two fine. I looked at the stock and receiver and there is no obvious sign of the round detonating.

4. Noveske13

Noveske13 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

How old is that gun? They replaced a bunch of them several years back as they were blowing up just like your experience. I guess they finally fixed the issues as I see they offer them again but for me no semi 17 hmrs

5. crebid

crebid Registered Member

It was one of the first made, two-digit serial number. I have no contacted them about it, as I have not heard of issues. Mags are not cheap to be destroying them, to say the least about the chance of bodily harm. Maybe call and ask if they have had the issue?

6. crebid

crebid Registered Member

I spoke with Volquartsen yesterday. They offered for me to send in the pistol and mag pieces and they would look it over and determine if there was damage to the firearm. I was told in the future, " Do not use Hornady 17 ammo" Winchester and CCI A-17 are ok with no known issues. So I gleened, shoot at your own risk and hopefully, you will not get hurt.

7. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Wow. Sounds to me like this is not the first time they have encountered the issue with Hornady ammo. WTH?

Facetious question, but does your owners manual warn against using Hornady ammo?

8. crebid

crebid Registered Member

I purchased used, no manual. The internet search shows this to be a common issue back to 2010. Back then they were replacing the firearm, now an online download manual I found spells out that only Winchester 17 grain and CCI A-17 is recommended. They told me to just stay away from Hornady as the necks split with time.

9. GunsRgood

GunsRgood Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Had the same thing happen with a Ruger Mark II. I’m not sure how it happened but I caught a nasty piece of brass on my trigger finger knuckle. It didn’t blow the mag but it was crazy loud for a .22 and the case partially disintegrated. The rimmed half of the case was “stovepiped” in the receiver.