1911 Gunsmith in N or S Carolina? | Carolina Shooters Club

1911 Gunsmith in N or S Carolina?

Discussion in 'Carolinas 1911 Forum' started by wetdog1911, Jun 15, 2020.

1. wetdog1911

wetdog1911 Registered Member

To fit a solid bushing on a Series 70 bbl and slide.

Nothing major, the top end is just a "just in case" .45ACP conversion for my 70s SM ACE. Got it cheap because the guy over polished the slide for a re-blue and wiped out some of the roll stamps. Functions perfectly on the ACE lower.

The problems came when I went to disassemble for cleaning. I'm used to breaking down GI 1911's by hand, no wrench needed. Big surprise!

The collet went into the trash about 10 sec after I finally got it off. I didn't trust it anyway and that was just the iceing on the cake.

I know it's a fairly simple DIY, but I would much rather have an experienced pro do the job rather than depend on my lack of experience and proper tools.

Would prefer to keep the $$ spent in the Carolinas, but anywhere is Ok as I will only be shipping the slide and bbl, not a complete pistol.

Thanks for any advice/info.

Wet

2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

wetdog1911 likes this.
  3. McGeezer

McGeezer Registered Member

I have used and recommend Amick's Guns, in Columbia, SC. They do excellent work, though may take a while because I know they are busy. Father and son business, Jim (dad) and Brad. Give them a call.
    Amicksguns.com

cocopuff and wetdog1911 like this.
  4. wetdog1911

My first thought also, but, I've also been under the impression for more than a few years that he has been retired, or, at least semi-retired.

To be wrong on this assumption would be wonderful, I've followed him for years.

Wet

5. wetdog1911

Thanks! I'll give them a call on Mon. No rush on the time as the .45acp top end is a "just in case" item for the SM ACE. Like a .22 conversion in reverse.

Wet

6. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner Staff

You didn't need a wrench to turn the collet bushing. All you need to do is back the slide up about a half inch and turn it with your fingers. Turning those bushings with wrenches is why so many broke and led to the mistaken belief that they couldn't be trusted.

7. ladder13

ladder13 Registered Member

I’ve had a collet bushing on my Colt S80 gov’t for over 30 years through thousands of rounds.

8. rellascout

rellascout Registered Member

Yup if you don't abuse them they don't break like so many other things.

9. wetdog1911

Yeah, I realize that..... Now. LOL, but the collet bushing is still long gone and I'm Ok with that.

I mainly didn't want a different field stripping from the normal protocol of a 1911 and the SM ACE (except for the 'floating chamber), follows that protocol. All my 1911s do.

My kid is likely to get his pick(s) of whatever guns he wants. but shows little interest besides shooting, like cleaning/maintence or much thought other than the trigger time. I do want him to be able to do a field strip of at least what has picked so far ( A RUGER MKI 6 7/8 tapered bull bbl that *I* had received for Christmas ~1964 and already gifted to him several years ago, along with a Bulgarian, milled receiver SLR 95. Good taste there, but he also has zero interest in the 5 line, all GI, Pre Ban M1A ... Go figure!), aaaaand my old SAI 1911A1 that was my carry piece for many years in SoFl.

I at least want him to be to dis/re assemble what he's picked so far.

Wet