1911 Magazines | Page 2 | Carolina Shooters Club

1911 Magazines

Discussion in 'Carolinas 1911 Forum' started by Tarowah, Aug 9, 2016.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire Well-Known Member

2. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner Staff

Since I was asked...

There is only one magazine design that presents the cartridge to the 1911's chamber correctly and guarantees full controlled feed...as designed and intended.

That would be the original or "GI" design that allows the rear of the cartridge to rise at close to the same angle that the front assumes as it moves forward. It starts to release the round as soon as it moves while still keeping it in control so that when it achieves final release, the rim is already under the extractor...so that if something happens to cause the magazine to release it abruptly, it can't go anywhere except where it's supposed to go.

Pictured below are two 7-round magazines with the "tit" on the followers. One is a parallel lip or "wadcutter" design and the other is a tapered lip "Hybrid" design...which provides the rise at the rear AND a timed release point that comes a little later than the former design...though not quite as late as the original.

The cartridge has been stopped by the follower bump...as intended...just before the final release point. This point is identical to the one on the original follower, and final release is effected at the same time as the original, with one small difference. Rather than releasing the round suddenly, the GI magazine releases a little more gradually with the last part of the taper acting as a brake of sorts. A final redundancy that works to insure that the magazine doesn't lose control of the round until it's well under the extractor.

When the rear of the cartridge is higher, it enters the chamber at a lower angle...making feeding sure and smooth rather than clunky. If the extractor has the correct amount of deflection, the shooter often isn't able to tell by feel that the gun even fed...even on the top round of a fresh magazine.

Specs are important. All specs...and the magazine is no exception. That magazine wasn't an afterthought.

As I've often said: The 1911 was designed to function. If it's built to correct specs and fed decent ammunition from a PROPER magazine...it WILL function. It's a machine. It doesn't have a choice.

This picture is easily worth a thousand words. It illustrates the magazine's critical role in controlled feed. Some will accept this. Others won't.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  3. Steve Weingart

Steve Weingart Registered Member

I'm a real fan of the classic 8rd CMC Shooting Star and the 8 rd Wilson Combat. I have some that are pushing 25 years old and they never fail if I do my job (feed them decent ammo and hold with a decent grip. Even if I don't, when I am in a crazy position at a match, they work anyway).

4. Tarowah

Tarowah Member

Old thread I know, but I have been picking up the Wilson combat 47D mags whenever I can, but they are really spendy.

5. crashclint

crashclint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Interesting fact with my Colt Wiley Clapp Government. I bought some of the new CMC Railed Mags and Trip Research Mags. My other mags are Colt Factory Checkmate with Hybrid feed lips. I hand cycled 230 FMJ and 200 HST and all fed with no issue through each mag. I then loaded empty brass in the magazines and hand cycled the slide. The Factory Colt mags were the only mags that would cycle without a hitch. The CMC and Trip release the round earlier than the Colt mags.

6. gtnc

gtnc Member

This...

JimP42 and Case Mouth like this.
  7. JimP42

JimP42 Bitter Clinger Club Subscribed

I have used 5 Tripp 9mm 1911 mags a LOT for 10+ years without a hiccup. Lots of practice and lots of IDPA, USPSA, 2gun, 3gun, and Steel matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. crashclint

Many years back Tuner1911 showed me a trick and this is what I was talking about by hand cycling the slide in an earlier post. I removed the recoil spring and guide rod, reassembled and operated the slide slowly by hand and watched how the round or empty cartridge feeds from the magazine into the barrel. I learned more about magazines, springs, feed ramps and the internal working of a 1911 in one afternoon with Tuner than years of owning and reading about the gun.

JimP42 likes this.
  9. crashclint

@1911Tuner Jog my memory, are you using full tapered GI magazines for 200gr lswc or are you using the hybrid style?

10. crashclint

So, I picked up these magazines a while back and they have worked flawlessly in all my 1911's. I am guessing these were blemished or seconds because it appears the logo was machined out of the magazine. They look a lot like my Kimber mags except my Kimber mags don't have the dimple on top of the follower or Hybrid feed lips. The only marking on the bottom is an "S" which normally stands for stainless from what I understand. Does anyone hear have any mags with the a side stamp similar to the one in the picture?

Magazines.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  11. crashclint

Well, that was quick, a friend sent me a text saying they were made by Checkmate for Ruger.

12. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner Staff

For carry, I use the Hybrid, but I wouldn't have any problem with the full tapered GI magazines if I owned any besides the ones that I have made by the WW1 and WW2 contractors that are pristine.

I use the parallel lipped wadcutter magazines in my range guns because I use my own cast 200 grain H&G 69 style SWCs, even though the tapered lips feed them just fine. I have 72 of those magazines. all 7 round and all equipped with Wolff 11 pound springs...all Metalform.

The pictures above demonstrate how the tapered feed lips work. It's fairly self explanatory. As the round moves forward, the nose and butt end rise together, placing the tim closer to the extractor pickup point before final release. The full tapered "GI" lips actually get the rim under the extractor before it reaches the release point for assured complete controlled feed.

The magazine pictured above is a bit of a mystery. Maybe an unknown manufacturer's tube with a CMI follower, or a CMI variant 7 rounder. A little hard for me to tell, but it may also be a CMI 8-round stick with the false pad removed. It it is, it won't fit flush with the grip frame.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  13. magicmanmb

magicmanmb Registered Member

Old thread but watch out what you get that says they’re GI, even w/Colt markings. Last few gun shows & even orders from several internet stores have resulted in crappy counterfeit magazines. The feed lips bent from improper heat treatment as soft as Jello they wouldn’t hold a round in the tube. Personally I prefer Wilson for practice & competition. Duty wise I have to carry 10 round magazines in my 1911 so $35 CMC shooting stars, Mec-Gar or custom made from lengths of repair tube & make them, a real pain to do after 4 hours with a Dremel and magnifying lamp.
    My Sons 1934 Colt will only use true Colts from 1963 or before and very ammunition sensitive, accurate and reliable as long as 230gr ball Ammo in a 7 round mag 8 round will FTFeed, Wilson Combat, CMC, Mec-Gar even current production Colt marked don’t feed properly. My Kimber is 80% off the shelf reliable and a Taurus that I won in a raffle after a 50 round break in feeds hollow points like they’re ball ammunition. The mags that came with it are garbage. They also have counterfeit Glock, Smith and Fn’s floating around

14. pineoak

pineoak Registered Member

all I recommend now are Wilson Combat magazines

47D on standard magwells and 47DE on extended magwells, AND... (will get to that later)

the most consistent magazines made IME, and I've never had a single one that hasn't worked reliably for the first year at least

I used to use Chip M & Shooting Star with good results the vast majority of the time, but $35 for a very high quality magazine isn't all that spendy overall compared to other brands like HK, M&P

The Wilsons are consistent, reliable, and eliminates one aspect of decision making for me. I like the DE version better with a deep magwell for sure

that said...

The ETMs by Wilson are supposed to be better.

Vickers has a version too. But I'd wait a while and see how that pans out over time.

When my 47s fail and I need to replace... I'll find out for myself. I'll pick up an ETM and a Vickers version to compare.