2021 Cowboy Action in Upstate SC | Carolina Shooters Club

2021 Cowboy Action in Upstate SC

Discussion in 'Shooting Sports & Competitions' started by Crunchy Frog, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Crunchy Frog

Crunchy Frog Registered Member

New year (good riddance to 2020), new thread.

I've been having a great time shooting cowboy action matches since 2010. There are lots of good clubs in both carolinas, most of which are SASS affiliated and listed on www.sassnet.com but there are some (currently) unaffiliated clubs that follow SASS rules. All the clubs are listed by state in a handy calendar format at www.carolinacowboys.us; suffice to say there is a match just about every Saturday and Sunday and with a couple of exceptions we are able to shoot year round in the Carolinas.

Here in Upstate South Carolina we now have three clubs holding monthly matches. My home club is the Greenville Gunfighters; we shoot on the 4th Sunday of the month. www.greenvillegunfighters.com

Just down the road the Belton Bushwhackers ring the steel on the 2nd Saturday of each month; www.beltonbushwhackers.com. Belton is hosting the 2021 South Carolina State Match on April 8-10, 2021; it will be a great venue with all events held at the range. More info at https://sites.google.com/site/scstatematch/

The newest match is "Moonshine at Dark Corner" above Travelers Rest on SC Highway 11 a couple of miles north of US 25. https://actionshootingnetwork.com/mdc/

Here's a video that we made as a demo for a cub scout day camp:

If you've never been to a match, come check out a match in your area. There's never a charge for spectators, just bring "eyes and ears".

If you are interested in getting started in the sport, DON'T BUY ANYTHING! Keep that stimulus money in your pocket for now. Come out to a match and see if it's for you, talk to the shooters and find out which gear works best. It will save you money, time, and aggravation.

See you on the trail!

2. Crunchy Frog

Well, I guess 2020 has not released its grip on us yet. The Greenville club has suspended all matches (all disciplines) until at least March 1.

I am informed that the Belton club will not close. I expect “Moonshine” will continue to hold matches as well.

3. Crunchy Frog

Update. The ban has been lifted. Greenville’s February match will go forward on Sunday the 28th.

4. Crunchy Frog

Despite the pandemic and ammo and primer shortages notwithstanding, Cowboy action shooting is having a good year. The SC State Match in Belton had a really good turnout and I hear lots of people have signed up for the Georgia State Match. Our monthly match in Greenville was well attended and we are seeing lots of new folks coming to check out the game.

I saw a post today that SASS headquarters reported an increase in new members worldwide.

Perhaps it’s partly due to the record number of firearm purchases, many by first time gun owners. These folks might be looking for opportunities to shoot. Perhaps being home watching YouTube has made people want to get out of doors and try what they’ve been watching.

Whatever the reason it’s good to be out there and it’s fun to see new shooters who have enthusiasm and a fresh perspective.