Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I look for in 22LR ammo for my semiautos? I'm looking for a good balance between cost and reliable performance (minimum duds and FTF/FTE). Ideally the ammo would be relatively "clean" too. I like to plink and shoot targets, no hunting here.

I've used CCI Mini Mags and "AR Tactical" bulk pack, Winchester Super X and "525" bulk pack, Federal Champion and "Target Match" bulk pack, Remington "Thunderbolt" and "Golden Bullet" bulk pack. Nothing has been 100% reliable in my:
- 10/22
- M&P-15 22
- GSG 1911-22
- Buckmark

I'm curious if the cartridge tip makes a difference in "loadability". Does a round nose do a better job for autoloading semiautos? Does the nose type matter at all?

What about FPS? Should I look for at least 1300fps for maximum ability to cycle the weapon's action?

Maybe no 22LR ammo is 100% reliable because it isn't strong enough to reliably cycle the action?

Thanks for helping this newbie out!:)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
in my experience, yes, hollowpoints do tend to have more feeding and mag related problems in automatics than do RN bullets. FWIW, my go-to ammo in all my .22s (autos, slide, and bolt gun) is CCI Standard Velocity.

IMO, you can go cheap with the bulk packs from WalMart and the like and deal with a handful of duds and jams in every box, or you can spend a little more to not have these issues...such as so many things in life, you get what you pay for. I do not understand why the majority of "bulk pack" ammo is hollowpoint when the vast majority are not using these boxes of ammo for hunting. We want cheap ammo for plinking, target shooting, etc. LRN or plated round nose seems to be a more reliable round.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
You'll have to see what your rifles like. But, the federal champion or burgundy bulk box at walmart works great in everything I have. The Federal Auto Match is supposed to be better for the auto loaders and it works great in all of mine as well. CCI mini mags give the best performance per dollar for me and have always been super reliable.

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
I agree with frozen, my 10/22 eats anything, but my Mosquito I had a hard time finding anything that would feed. Im not a scientist, but I had to use the trial and error method. Not good advise, sorry

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
+1 for Federal AutoMatch. It comes in a 325 round box. It has been very reliable when used in all of my guns, although I do not find it as accurate as CCI SV, it is cheaper and WalMart stocks it.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The Federal 550 & 525 packs work wonderfully in all my .22s. Very accurate, totally reliable. Have bought several bricks of Winchester 555, but not shot any yet.

I do really like the Federal Automatch, but I suspect the lube gums up my Buckmark. It's the only "half decent" ammo that has ever malf'd in my Buckmark & then only rarely. But always during a match....

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Federal bulk for value....
Winchester next...

Frankly, ANYTHING but Remington .22 ammo.....

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
My P-22 will run about 90% with Blazer lead round nose bulk pack, but functions as close to flawless as you could hope when using copper Federal Champion 36 grain copper plated hollow points.

I have an early 90's Colt Target .22lr that spoiled me on some .22 pistol reliability and accuracy. It'll disassemble whatever ammo I put in it equally.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I have a buckmark, a mp15-22, rem 597, and a really old high standard supermatic. The only ammo that they will all shoot with out fail is the federal from Walmart, or gander mtn or where ever I can find. I have never had one dud or misfire. I have had and issue with the buckmark. But I hadn't cleaned it in about 2500 rounds.
It really nerves me when people bash the big retailers. Stating that there ammo is somehow not up to the standards of their local gun store or some online bulk distributor. I have literally fired 10s of thousands of 22. rounds and 99 percent of it has been federal bulk 550 pack from Walmart. And can honestly say reliability have never been an issue. And yes I have also tried every other 22 ammo on the market.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I agree with frozen, my 10/22 eats anything, but my Mosquito I had a hard time finding anything that would feed. Im not a scientist, but I had to use the trial and error method. Not good advise, sorry
Same thing with my mosquito, that way I now have a buckmark and the mosquito is someone else's problem..

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Federal 550 bulk from wally world works well in everything that I have. I tested it over and over and now have enough stored away to fill the trunk of a Crown Vic.
I have also had very good luck with Remington Subsonic when I go suppressed.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Another vote for the Federal bulk pack. I buy it by the case (5250rds).
Stored correctly it works great. Leave it in the truck for a few weeks I may get a dud or two.

·
Zombie Task Force
1,972 Posts
Thanks for the thread guys, I was just thinking about 22 bulk packs and which was best. The last Remington I got was horrible. The Blazer seems to have a few duds as well. I'll give the Federal a whirl for bulk next. I did grab the 1600 pack of MiniMags (which always go boom) at Wally World, but it is nice to have some cheap stuff at the ready.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Ah, 22lr ammo...you can test forever :)

I generally use Federal bulk for plinking and Federal Automatch for more serious (but not TOTALLY serious) shooting. CCI HV is very reliable, but not necessarily more accurate (in my rifles). Winchester SuperX is fairly reliable, though it would not reliably cycle my Sig Mosquito when I had it (no surprise there). I picked up a couple of boxes of Remington Golden Bullets to evaluate, since I've heard they are better now (jury is still out).

I've got more than a dozen different boxes of stuff lying around to try out in the various rifles. It takes time, and is pretty aggravating if you have to go to a by-the-hour range. Wolf Match (I get that at Fuquay Gun and Gold) is very good. The other stuff, I don't know yet because I have to adjust the pillar in the main rifle I've been using to shoot the others in.

Given the current environment, it's often "what you can find, where you can find it" but I pick up Federal bulk and Federal Automatch whenever I see it at Wal-Mart. I did get one of those CCI cans of 1600 rounds for $98 a couple of weeks ago; with what I already had, that should feed the "regular" CCI habit for some time. I have some CCI standard velocity from Dick's that I want to evaluate...thinking that might be better for 100 yard shooting. Have not every really done Blazer 22.

The worst I ever had was a Winchester 333 round value pack from Wal-Mart. Something like 90% of the bullets were LOOSE in the casings. I mean, you could twirl them around with your thumb and forefinger! Basically, I had to TWIST each bullet like a nut/bolt to tighten it up, to get it to shoot, and had several duds. That was the first and only Win 333 box I ever had, and it kind of put me off of them... And of course you've heard about the dirty, crappy other Remington ammo :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Of the bulk packs I prefer Federal from Walmart. Winchester 555's jammed in every pistol/rifle I have without fail, and the Remington Goldenturds are even worse (haven't tried the "new and improved" out of fear of the old, lol. CCI minimags and sv are better, but come with a heavier price tag. For target shooting I really have no idea as I've only tried Wolf and have nothing to compare it to in that price range.

·
Off to Greener Pastures
5,858 Posts
I concur with the posters on any of the Federal bulk from walmart. Excellent for the price.

And, I too, will avoid any Reminton or Winchester rimfire ammo.

Also have had good lock with several varieties of CCi mini mags and whanot. But I prefer the 550 Federal bulk packs.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I like the Winchester 555 packs. Use them in 10/22, Ruger MKIII, Ruger .22/45, Remington 552 (eats anything anyway), Chiappa M1911-22 and Ceiner M1911/22 conversion. Very, very few issues and then it's usually my fault like dirty chambers or something else I've forgotten and neglected. Never an issue in any of my single shots or bolt actions.
I did have some older Remingtons that "sounded" different going down the tubes and the targets showed flyers if that had happened.
Federals are working o.k. (am shooting older stashed bullets now to replace with newer) but the bullets have turned black instead of a pretty copper colour like I'm used to.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.