Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after going to the DPRC NRA event yesterday and seeing lots of neat things, I'm thinking about building a .22 AR. I saw one there that was really sweet & regret not looking at it closer for more specifics. Not sure who it belonged to. It was a suppressed .22lr AR15 as a pistol. The buffer tube seemed to be enough to get enough of a cheek weld & the guy shooting it was easily hitting the steel plates at 25yd firing rapidly with a red dot sight.
I already have an extra stripped lower & LPK, so I was thinking of building something similar. After reading around, I think the CMMG bolt sounds like a reliable way to go. Not sure what barrel length yet. I guess my biggest question is can I use a regular AR15 stripped upper for this, & does it matter if it has M4 feed ramps? I would think the feed ramps wouldn't matter, cause the .22lr barrels I've looked at have a special collar with its own feed ramp to guide the round into the chamber. Just want to make sure get the right parts. So to build the upper, do I need anything besides the upper, a barrel, cmmg bolt assembly, a barrel nut, some sort of hand guard, and compatible .22lr magazine?
Would like to eventually go the suppressed route, but figure I could still start the build while I decide on that for sure.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
IMO, that slick-sided DPMS upper with no forward assist or dustcover makes a great looking upper receiver for a .22 build. I think Wahoo had some pics of one he built. I'm sure he will chime in...

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
I just built this one last week. They're super simple to assemble since there's no gas system. I built mine using a CMMG SS Bolt, TACCOM barrel, and 9mm upper receiver I had lying around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts