Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be getting a rimfire to practice long range shooting. Thinking of a 22mag because of the flater trajectory. What u guys think? I keep 22mag on hand for a handgun i have. But i also keep 22lr on hand. Thanks

Dale

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
22lr is cheap, and if you want to practice for long range shooting, you need to learn to keep records of your dope, which will be more interesting with the 22lr. Like you said the 22mag is flatter. Start with 22lr out to 100 yards you will learn more and shoot more.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
22lr is cheap, but really cheap 22lr is going to be useless for long range. There is a huge difference in accuracy between federal bulk and minimags or automatch for instance, and even more with real match type ammo. As with most calibers, the most accurate is not the most powerful, so it kind of works against itself in that regard as far as distance is concerned. 22lr has a ton of super accurate match ammo available, but it is all standard velocity and since it is slow moving shooting really long range will make it more susceptible to wind. 22 magnum is much better in that regard, but I don't think I've ever seen a 22WMR labeled "match". So to sum up, I think out to 100yds or so you'd have better accuracy with 22lr match ammo, much beyond that I think 22 mag will give better overall accuracy if there is any wind to deal with. Just the way I see it YMMV.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Shoot golf balls at 200yd with 17HMR; bullets are around $12 per 50 rounds. The 22LR is certainly much cheaper for 100yd. If I had it to do over I would probably get a 223 for 200+yd instead of 17HMR since they are not much more expensive.

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Need to define "long range" first before we all go jumping off on 22lr.

I shoot a lot of IDPA and steel plate matches.... 50yrds is "long range" for me :)

But if you're talking 20--, 300 yrds:
How about a AR15 with a .22lr upper swap... best of both worlds?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.