Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will get the first thread over here.........Tell me guys, give me some options on shotguns for 3-gun. What is the norm. I have some ideas, but just wanted some opinions and research from there. Price and brand doesnt matter.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have seen all sorts of shotguns for 3 gun
The most prevalent shotguns used are either the fnh slp or Benelli m2
It all boils down to what your budget is the
slp runs about 950 out the door and really doesn't need any modifications it holds 8+1 stock but there are mods you may want to do eventually like a barrel with a vent rib and back bored chokes

Now the Benelli m2 runs about 12-1300 and comes with a vent barrel and really only needs a mag extension and barrel clamp to reach whatever mag capacity you want to run

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If you have unlimited budget, I agree with Kosh, get the Benelli and buy a bunch of parts to get it 3gun ready. Prolly gonna end up with around $1500 in it. Don't forget about your loading system. You need some caddies, load 2 strong or load 4 weak, whichever you prefer. Remember, shooting a shotgun in most 3gun is all about who can load the fastest

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I already have a Mossberg 500 and a Mossberg 835. So I have been looking at the 930 SPX also. Not sure how they hold up. Hopefully I can shoot a FNH soon and try it. I like the M2 alot, but not sure I want to spend that much when it might not get used often enough to justify the quality and price. Thats the reason I have noticed the 930 SPX.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Now mossberg makes the Jerry miculek 930 and is supposed to be pretty good for the price at like 750 I believe
And for the most part is 3 gun ready out the box
But I haven't noticed any being used so I haven't the slightest at how well they are running

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I run a Mossberg 930 JM Pro. Mine runs great, and fit my budget well. I paid $655 including transfer fee. If you already have a pump gun, I recommend that you run that in your first couple of matches. While you are there, check out other people's setups. This will give you lots of good info on what might be ther best fit for you.

if you want my recommemdations on shottys at a pricepoint (including whatever add-ons you may need to get them comp ready)
$675 Mossberg 930 JM Pro
$1000 FN SLP
$1500 Benelli M2

·
U.S. Military (Retired)
796 Posts
What? No Remington 1100/11-87 love here?

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
To all you 3 gun guys. I am thinking about 3 gun.

Why would a mag fed shotgun not be a good option for 3 gun?
Like the new VEPR 12 that loads like an AR (you don't have to rock the mags in like an AK).

I have been told this several times.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
To all you 3 gun guys. I am thinking about 3 gun.

Why would a mag fed shotgun not be a good option for 3 gun?
Like the new VEPR 12 that loads like an AR (you don't have to rock the mags in like an AK).

I have been told this several times.
Let me know how moving around in a little car or other small confined spaces works out with a foot plus hanging out from under your gun :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
A shotgun with a detachable magazine puts you in "open" class. Most of the competition is in "tactical optics." Most people in open class are running souped up Saiga 12s.

I can't think of any practical application for that silly weapon that Tarhil posted. You will not see anyone running a stockless shotgun in a 3gun match.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
A shotgun with a detachable magazine puts you in "open" class. Most of the competition is in "tactical optics." Most people in open class are running souped up Saiga 12s.

I can't think of any practical application for that silly weapon that Tarhil posted. You will not see anyone running a stockless shotgun in a 3gun match.
Thanks CaptSlim and Kosh79, that answered my question and makes sense!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.