Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am about to buy a new Remington 700 to be my "precision" rifle. It will have a 20" barrel. My club has range out to 400 yds, is working on a 600 yd area, and I am interested in participating in the various precision and sniper training classes and matches that NC has to offer. I understand that a 1:10 twist barrel will stabilize heavier bullets that are sometimes preferred at the extreme long ranges. 1:12 twist is the other option and may work better for the more readily available factory loads. I have been doing some research and thought I had settled on the 1:10, but wanted to see what our "precision shooting" membership has to say about the advantages and disadvantages of the two twist rates. I do plan on getting a .30 cal suppressor at some point, but not until the wait is over on my .22 can. I do not currently reload, but it is also on my "to do" list.

I have made up my mind on Rem 700 in .308 so I'm not interested in your opinion on switching to another platform or caliber.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have no experience to share with you about twist rates. However, if possible you should move up the inclusion a reloading setup. For what you want to do a single stage press would be more than enough.

Your a lucky man to have a range where you can stretch out.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a couple of friends that I'm counting on to help me get going on the rifle reloading set-up. I'm also looking into the 5-R Remys that have the 1:11.25 twist, but the cost difference is significant.

·
Teacher of the Craft
8,069 Posts
1/8 to 1/10 with a shorty 14.5" to 22" you are doing well. Since you will shoot factory stick with the 168 to 175grn loads.

Your dope will be in mil:

100yds 0
200yds .5
300yds 1.2
400yds 2.3

This is good +/- .1

John

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
I have the 5R with 11.25 twist. The barrel is optimized for 175 gr SMKs and shoots them extremely well. It also shoots 168 SMKs very well and I've also shot 155 Lapua Senars with good results. But- all in all, this barrel shines with 175 gr SMKs.

·
Guardian Angel
559 Posts
Nothing slower than 1-11. I personally go for 1-10 in .30 cals. Gives you the option to go up to the heavier bullets if you ever get into reloading. If you enjoy precision long range shooting you will eventually get into reloading.

Ex Umbris Venimus

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nothing slower than 1-11. I personally go for 1-10 in .30 cals. Gives you the option to go up to the heavier bullets if you ever get into reloading. If you enjoy precision long range shooting you will eventually get into reloading.
^^^THIS THIS THIS^^^

Maybe 1:11.25 will be fine but I love my 1:10. Sooner or later you will find somewhere to push past 600yrds, and yes you will try it. That means 175gr or 178gr in a .308. Get the 1:10 twist, you will not be sorry later.

Start reloading ASAP!! You will soon find out that a factory load is just a waste of good powder in a long range application.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.