327 magnum in sp101 H&R magnum? | Carolina Shooters Club

327 magnum in sp101 H&R magnum?

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Lowcountry, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Member

I researched this on the internet and got mixed answers. I have a Ruger SP101 H&R 32 magnum, 4" barrel. I am trying to find out if I can shoot 327 magnums in it. Here is what I know:

The two cartridges are exactly the same dimensionally except the 327 is ~0.18" longer or so.

The sp101 cylinder has enough head space to load a 327 round.

It would seem that the only safety consideration would be the increased pressures of the 327 round. This is where the ambiguity comes in. I have read that Ruger made all their sp101 frames to the same dimensions, heat treat, material, etc, regardless of the round. This would makes sense to me from a manufacturing standpoint - less variables and chances to screw up... Others say it isn't so.

Guess I could ask Ruger, but I think they might be hesitant to admit it due to potential liability issues.

Anyone one here have any real experience with this?

Thanks.

2. dbarale

dbarale Registered Member

You won't be able to. Same as trying to shoot .357 out of a .38, the cartridge just won't fit. That's per design to avoid potential catastrophic spontaneous disassembly...
    Some people had their SP101 32 Magnum reamed out by a gunsmith to accept the .327 magnum cartridge, whether or not it's advisable remains to be determined.

3. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

Ask Bowen Classic Arms. They will ream it for you. That's all that needs to be done to an SP101 it has plenty of strength.

C.S.

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  4. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Member

I guess I don't understand what ya'll are saying. Ream what? The diameter is the same...

5. Wheelgun_Man

Wheelgun_Man Member

No first hand experience here, but if I recall correctly, the .327 Magnum cartridge case is about 1/8" longer than the case for the .32 H&R Magnum. The cylinder won't accept the longer cartridge without internal adjustments to the throat of the cylinder to accept the longer cartridge (provided the cylinder is long enough itself for such modifications). Just like a .38 Special won't accept a .357 Magnum cartridge. Same diameter but different lengths.

Middle cartridge below is the 32 H&R. The far right is the .327 Magnum. Hope this helps...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    cecilrad and SkydivnShooter like this.
  6. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Member

I understand it is longer - stated that myself. But the cylinder is long enough to accept the extra length of the 327.

Ok, took a closer look. The holes are counter bored. There is a small lip near the end that would prevent the 327 from going all the way in.

Thanks for all the input - guess it isn't really worth all the trouble to mess with it...

Wheelgun_Man likes this.
  7. Wheelgun_Man

Wheelgun_Man Member

Ahhh...what a difference a day makes! I re-read your post and now understand what you were asking. I got hung up on that "lip" hindering the longer round from chambering. All the while, you were asking about cylinder strength.

Like you, the data I could find doesn't translate from one to another: 327 is in psi, while 32 H&R is in CUP units.

Yeah, I agree with you: I'd just leave it alone too.

8. 2MRF

2MRF Registered Member

Lowcountry,
    I know it's been since early April when you posted and I'm sure you know now that the SP 101 is available in the .327 Magnum, likely was then, why not call Ruger and ask if your revolver can be converted by installing a new cylinder, you'd have one more caliber available to shoot from your revolver if it's possible.

9. Pumpkinslinger

Pumpkinslinger Not Subscribed

When the .327 first came out I asked about rechambering my .32 H&R SP101. I was told that the metallurgy of the cylinder was a problem and it may not handle the additional pressure. Or maybe they just wanted to sell me another gun.

10. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

I think the real problem is; their lawyers will not let them do it. They can only return it to the way it originally left their factory.

C.S.

11. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

How old is your SP101? Ruger doesn't show the .32H&R Magnum available any more, but they do have the SP101 now in 327 Fed. Magnum, so looks like they upgraded the older model, don't know what's been changed. You CAN shoot .32H&R Magnum cartridges in a .327 Fed Magnum, similar to shooting .38Spl. in a .357Magnum. I wouldn't modify your revolver without knowing what Ruger did to upgrade the model. The .327 FM runs about 500 fps faster than the same bullet in the .32H&R, significantly higher pressure.