Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I start this thread - a little background about me. I've carried a .45 1911 in the Navy, so I understand it's quirks, and manual of arms. I like the cartridge for carry, which is one of the reasons I traded a Desert Eagle .41 mag (hard to conceal) for a IWI Jericho 941S (mid- size) .45. The Jericho (also known as 'Baby Eagle') has an all steel frame which is heavy, but it reduces felt recoil, (and if you run out of ammo, so it can be used as a club).
I received my first CHP in Washington State in the early '90's, and two years ago submitted for my NC CHP.

After MUCH research, I've decided on either trading/selling the Jericho and purchasing a Glock 21, 30 (sf maybe), or a 36. I understand the capacity issue, and use of 21 mags in the 30. I understand that the 36 is slimmer, i.e. less printing. The reason for the choice of Glock, is due to the fact of no external safety to deal with, large industry of holsters, sights, mags, etc.

My question(s) are for the concealing of the weapon in ALL seasons. What do you carry, and why? Do you carry year round? (I carry an LCP now, just looking for more firepower, plus the Jericho weights me down to much.) Do you hike/go camping with said weapon?

Thanks,
T.J.

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
My EDC is a compact 1911. I wear it for all activities and clothing choices; shorts and tee-shirt on a hike, shirt and tie in the office, jeans and a sweatshirt in the yard, etc etc.

I like the 45 ACP cartridge as well and prefer a manual safety over a gimmicky trigger. I carried a G30 but for me it was too heavy, thick and blocky for all season concealment. Extra double-stack Glock magazines are also more difficult to conceal than 1911 single stacks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My question(s) are for the concealing of the weapon in ALL seasons. What do you carry, and why? Do you carry year round? (I carry an LCP now, just looking for more firepower, plus the Jericho weights me down to much.) Do you hike/go camping with said weapon?

Thanks,
T.J.
I carry the 30SF. I have owned both the 21 and the 36 and had issues with both as relates to carry. The 21 was a great gun, but was just too freaking big for my taste. The 36 was a good size for CCW, but my experience was the recoil was sharp.

I bought the 30SF and have never looked back. The 30 gives me 10+1 capacity, comfortable recoil making follow up shots for me quicker than with the 36, and reliable as the day is long.

I carry IWB year round in a CrossBreed Supertuck (remember you must dress to the gun - you will find that you MUST increase your pants normal waist size by about two inches to comfortably accomodate IWB). In winter I also carry under a coat in an OWB Wild Bill holster.

I don't do much hiking/camping anymore, but if I did, I would not hesitate to carry the 30 for two-legged self defense. If hiking in bigger predator areas, I would opt for a revolver in .44 mag. (but that's another topic...).

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I normally carry a 9mm simply because I shoot that more and I like the extra rounds ( I just decided in a gun fight I do not want to run out of ammo first, lol ) . However I do on occasion tote a RIA Tactical 1911 45 acp. In a good holster with a good belt imo a 1911 is not an uncomfortable carry at all, even in government model and I am 5-9'' 150ish. Granted I would not be able to conceal it in warm weather but if you are a bigger fella might not be an issue.

If you like Glock and 45 and want a year round carry for the life of me I think the G30 is a better option. Same height, length. Marginally .14 '' wider , but 33% more firepower with better recoil management and negligible weight difference loaded ( 27 vs 34 oz)

Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input so far guys.

I'm going to put Catfish's compact 1911 into the G36 category (ONLY) for size & capacity - (I don't want any flames coming this way)

So two for G36, and three for G30/sf.

Still looking for more info.

Later, T.J.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I carry the G30. I have more of an issue with bulk than weight. I am pretty new to CC. Still working out some details but so far it hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Most of the time I carry the G23 IWB. But at times I carry my Colt 1911 Gov. It depends on what I am wearing and where I am going. I feel both are more than enough to get the job done and a reload really does not take that long.

·
C-130 Puddle Pirate
477 Posts
Before I bought my Sig 1911, I carried my G30 exclusively, and never had any issues with it. With the right belt and holster, it can disappear under a t-shirt for me, and I'm 5'10 and 170. Carried it for almost 3 years, but I find myself carrying my 1911 more often now, and more open carry than concealed lol

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
Glock 30 works great for me in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have also carried it in an N82 Tactical IWB which is also very comfortable. This is one that I shoot great and has never had a hic cup. Accurate and fits.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far it's five in favor of the G36, and nine for the G30.

Glockman30 - do you carry any extra mags?

Keep the data rolling in, Thanks guys,
Later, T.J.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
So far it's five in favor of the G36, and nine for the G30.

Glockman30 - do you carry any extra mags?

Keep the data rolling in, Thanks guys,
Later, T.J.
You're on to something here T.J....... lol
Be sure to consider a good holster and gun belt to go with your choice.... You WILL NOT regret it. Makes all the difference in how comfortable it will ride and that will affect your decision on how often you will carry........ which is controllable. Holster and gun belt expenses should be taken into consideration to make your daily carry options the very best they can be.

Oh yeah........... the G30 will accept the G21 mags with an additiona 13 rounds of back up if you choose to consider extra mag options. Just another one of the many Glock options you have at your fingertips.........

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I carried a G30SF but it was like having a brick in my holster so I sold it to go with the G19, the G30SF is the best shooting Glock though imo.

I had a G36 for a while and loved it, I will buy another one some day because it is easy to carry and a hoot to shoot, the 45 ACP in such a little gun is a hand full but it wasnt a problem getting off follow up shots.

I would suggest shooting the G21, G30 and G36 and go from there, but if you have to pick one without shoting them and you are a big enough person I would go witht he G30.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
My carry gun rotates between a G30, a G23, and Browning HP .40. I like all three of them, especially now that I've found the right holster for each.

The G30 is a chunky bugger. Finding the right holster is critical. For me it is the Milt Sparks Summer Special. It sits a little deeper than the Sparks Versa-Max that I have for the G23 or the Sparks Executive Companion for the Hi Power. The G30 is wide. A holster, any holster, makes it wider. You don't want another thick strip of reinforcing leather around the holster mouth making that wider still. This is not necessarily an issue for Kydex holsters, but it is for leather holsters, which I find much more comfortable. For example, the Kramer #3 horsehide that used to be my carry holster for the G30 has leather reinforcement to keep the holster mouth open. It clocks in at just under 2" wide (1.92 according to my calipers). The Summer Special is 1.6", and, yes, that 3/10ths makes a difference. It makes a difference, in part, because the Summer Special sits deeper, distributing more weight under and below the belt. This is less of a problem for a gun like the Hi Power or a 1911 where the longer barrel counterbalances the butt above the belt. A short, fat gun like the G30 tends to rotate outward if you have any kind of middle. That not only prints the butt against your shirt but also digs the slide uncomfortably into your upper buttock. The less the gun rotates the slimmer it feels and the better it carries.

The bottom line is that a good holster makes even thick or heavy guns reasonably comfortable to carry. I have an Alessi GWH that makes it no problem to carry a full size, steel framed 1911 all day long in relative comfort. On the other hand, a holster that is too thick, doesn't seat the gun deep enough, or is too rigid, can make nearly any pistol miserable to carry. If you like the G30, give it a try. It is the softest shooting, most accurate .45 I have shot to date, which is why I carry it despite it's weight and thickness.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.