Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a buck on a busy road Thanksgiving evening near Fuquay. Lower back was broken and both hind legs were inop, but the poor thing was sitting up and trying to rise. That area is no longer rural... three cars ran over his hind quarters while I waited for traffic to clear. He turned away when I approached, so I shot him in the back of the head and pulled him to the side of the road. What a waste!

- MacEntyre

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
The deer are crazy this time of year I saw at least 10 on the side of 77 on my way to work last night.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
I am not criticizeing you because I think you did the right thing but remember some of the rabbit police do not use common sense. Was deer season open? Do you have a valid big game license? Were you wearing hunter orange? Is it legal to hunt from the roadway? Sometimes you can get in trouble for doing the right thing. Larry

·
Registered
469 Posts
I called 911 for one years ago. I was coming home from work around midnight, and there was one on Falls of Neuse Rd that had been hit and disabled. He was lying near the curb, but actually sitting up. Like the one you saw, his backend was hit and probably busted up. But he obviously couldn't get up. He was sitting up and watching cars go by. You could sense panic in him as well. I had no means of easing his suffering, but I did call 911 and tell them exactly where he was. I might have also embellished that he was making his way back into traffic, and they needed to hurry. But I have my doubts that a local PD would shoot him...I'm sure they aren't allowed to do so.

·
Vendor
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes you can get in trouble for doing the right thing. Larry
I thought about all those things, and worked quickly. I made sure no one saw me with a gun, and departed soon after the shot.

Thanks!

- MacEntyre

·
Hunter of Deer...Few More Days
3,619 Posts
You done good. I would have done the same thing and have twice.

Once with a flashlight in one hand and a S&W .357 in the other. Deer ran into the side of a truck in front of me. Deer had intestines hanging out and was dragging rear end trying to crawl up a dirt bank at side ditch.

One shot and I left quickly as I figured the game warden would view me as easy pickings for doing something "against the law."

·
Vendor
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You done good.
Thank you very much!

...I left quickly as I figured the game warden would view me as easy pickings for doing something "against the law."
Me wifey told her friend what happened, and she asked, "Can they trace the bullet to him?"

That made me realize that I left one piece of brass on the road... these good deeds should be done with revolvers!

It wasn't in the country, where these things are normal. Sheesh!

- MacEntyre

·
Vendor
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's nice! All my revolvers are .22 or 32-20... except one. I should carry my BP revolver during the fall... it's not a "firearm" and a .44 ball would do the trick on road-maimed deer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.