Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
For just a plain jane shooter any of the 91s will work for you. 44s are shorter and then there are the sniper models. The bores vary from 308 (rare) to 315 according to how much they were shot and when they were made. Lots were made during war time and under stressful conditions. Most are from 310-313. Light ball ammo is 148 and what I look for in milsup ammo. The other is fine also and may even be more accurate. Reloadable brass is expensive but is available. I have maybe 200 boxer casings that I guard carefully--lol. Sardine cans of ammo is available and have never had a FTF from them. Most is corrosive so you need to clean your bore right after shooting. A simple wet brush/patch is sufficient then light oil. They are loud and produce a big fireball with milsup ammo--hand loading will produce a better round but you need to "slug" your barrel to determine your bore diameter. Enjoy the old war horses--they helped kick Hitler's butt, saw action in Korea, and were still in production into the late 50s. There are new in cosmolene still out there but like Forest Gump's boxes of chocolate--never know what you are getting till you clean them up.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Best rifle for what purpose and in what price range? I've got a number of rifles in the caliber and I love them all for different reasons... I had my wife ringing a 6" steel gong at 200 yards with my Romanian PSL yesterday and my Mosin Sniper is capable of MOA or better shooting. I'd love to have a VEPR in 54r but the PSL fits that need for now.

You really can't go wrong with any of the surplus that's out there. I've got everything from 1940s to 1980s ammo and it all shoots pretty darn good. I also reload for the caliber but that's pretty much for the sniper since the PSL beats up the brass a little too much.

-06: have you not bought any from the place I told you about? I've got my stash up to almost 1k cases thanks to their deals.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Just my .02 - don't forget there are a few Finnish 39s out there, reworked Mosins the Finns made into accurate bolt rifles for target/competition work - and there are places that sell the yellow tip heavy ball and match ammo for those rifles, as well....best, redclay7 11/25

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
I'll give you a simple quick answer :D :D

Get a 100 dollar Mosin 91/30 and a 440 round tin for 60-80 some dollars, and shoot it! If you like it and get bit by the bug, then you can start adding those nice rifles to your collection that the rest of these guys have mentioned :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Dunhams in Burlington have the nagants on sale again for $99 if you don't mind waiting forever for their gun buying process. They also have the spam cans of ammo for $99 but you can get those waaaay cheaper at the gun shows and from AIM right now. If you have your C&R, SOG has a deal on Chinese Carbines for $99 right now and they have them in stock.

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
Just my .02 - don't forget there are a few Finnish 39s out there, reworked Mosins the Finns made into accurate bolt rifles for target/competition work - and there are places that sell the yellow tip heavy ball and match ammo for those rifles, as well....best, redclay7 11/25
I agree the M39's are truly the best most accurate Mosin Nagant based rifle ever made IMO. The Finns are renowned for making accurate rifles and the M39 are made from captured Russian rifles re-barreled and stocked.

Some for sale here and these are general very good rifles. The one I show below was purchased from here and is a great shooter. Considerable more accurate than a 91/30.

http://www.gunsnammo.com/

·
Anne Murray sucks.
1,014 Posts
If you can find one, the Finn's also reworked some M91's. These usually have bull barrels and (I've heard) are pretty accurate.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have a Finn M39 with an 1898 receiver and a 1944 barrel. Wood is that beautiful spalted maple on a war time stock. My favorite of the family. I agree on buying a base model and a spam can. FWIW the hex receiver is a bit more sought after and will cost about $10.00 more. 1943 Ishevek is the most common I think.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Finnish M-39 can't be beat. I have one with an 1892 French receiver and the big ole P word on the barrel. Young marine shooting near me at the range wanted to shoot. Gave him 12 rounds and he said he was gonna shoot at the pig. What pig? I could not even see it. Pig at 200 yds. Missed first shot, then 11 pings in a row.

Got mine at gunsandammo, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.