795 or 10/22. | Carolina Shooters Club

795 or 10/22.

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by Damn_Yankee, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Damn_Yankee

Damn_Yankee Active Member

Which would be the better choice for Appleseed and plinking in general? I don't plan on doing much in the way of modding. Just tech sights and maybe some trigger work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

2. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

If you ain't a tinkerer get the Marlin. 10/22's are great for tinkering and making them shoot good. Marlins, at least my pre-Remington Marlins, shoot great out of the box.

C.S.

3. FNG

FNG Hall of Shame Club Subscribed

Id say if you dont have a 10-22, thats the one to get.

4. MarkG

MarkG Registered Member

My vote is for M795 with Tech-sights. Tough guns and good shooters. Add in a bore snake and one of those Uplula(?) 22 magazine loaders and you will be good to go. Nothing wrong with the 10/22's, wish I had one, but for a while there Marlin was running a rebate program and you could get a 795 OTD for under $100. The shoot very well out of the box. I don't know how the new production is. Check around over at Rimfire Central. This topic has been discussed several times. Now, if you like modding rifles then the 10/22 is the way to go. I think you build one out of aftermarket parts with nothing from Ruger in the build. Crazy.

5. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

The Marlin is going to be more accurate than the 10/22 out of the box. With Tech Sights ($69), a DI Products trigger ($21), and a good sling, you're all set. A new stock would probably be even better. Boyd's laminate stocks are $100, and add some rigidity and weight to the gun. Haven't gotten one for my 795 yet, since the factory stock is fine, but it would be on my list for Appleseed shooting.

So $105 for the gun (what I paid for mine at Dick's)
    $100 for the stock
    $21 for the trigger
    $70 for Tech Sights
    $296 total (plus sling). That is OUTSTANDING value, considering all you get, and the level of accuracy you get.

The only issue with the 795 is the lack of aftermarket magazines. Stick with Marlin 10-rounders, you'll be golden. But don't even bother with the 25-rounders on the market. All garbage. If you're really into tinkering, and want the magazines, get the Ruger. They've got the massive aftermarket, and you can easily make the Ruger a very accurate rifle. It just costs a bit more than the 795. Also, it's worth noting, that in 5k+ rounds with my 795, I can't remember a malfunction that wasn't caused by an aftermarket mag. I only shoot Federal AutoMatch and CCI Mini-Mags, so that may have a lot to do with it. But the gun is just an incredible value.

6. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

795, for all the above reasons.

7. ilivas

ilivas Vendor Vendor

I have to say the 10/22. The 10/22 is a much nicer rifle even if it isn't as accurate. The accuracy isn't that much better. You can always make the 10/22 much more accuarate, and the aftermarket is endless. The 795 feels very cheap, and it's very small. I had to buy a boyd's stock for my 795 to make it a decent gun. I also don't like the 795 mags, as they don't drop free.

The 795 does what you need it to do, but its fit in finish is just not up to par compared to a 10/22.

8. SHOWTIME100

SHOWTIME100 Registered Member

I have several 22s but I just got a savage Fv-sr and holy crap it's a the most accurate rifle I have, you can find them for 230 and they shoot great with sub sonic loads and cci standard , it would be the one 22 I would take if I could only have one 22 to carry if zombie rodents showed up on my block

9. RFMan

RFMan Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have both, and both are set up for Appleseed (haven't been yet though).

10/22: Birch stock. More expensive ($180 at a sale; normally $220 or so). Needed sling studs, sling, aperture sights (I used Tech Sight front and Nodak Spud rear, rather than all Tech Sights, to have the rail), extra mags. Also needed trigger work. I plan to pin the firing pin and radius the bolt eventually. My other 10/22s have much more in them. And that is the primary temptation here: to mod the snot out of it. Resist it for an LTR. Recessed mags are nice for this application. They typically drop free easily.

795: Synthetic stock. Less expensive (I got the rebate, and a Dick's sale, before they went full retard after Newtown, so $100). Needed sling, Tech Sights, extra mags. Also needed trigger work (have not done yet). I put grip tape on the mags, but mine (unlike some others) DO drop free. I did polish them and the magwell a bit before checking, so it may have been GTG out of the box. Mags do protrude down; it doesn't bother me. Not much aftermarket parts available, so not much temptation :) Mine has a slightly canted front sight - be sure to check for that. I didn't find that out until I changed out the sights, and then it was too much hassle to send it in, so I just live with it. (The front peep is in a dovetail on the barrel, so it's easy to miss.)

Both of these have out-of-the-box triggers that are fatiguing to shoot Appleseed quantities of rounds through. For that reason, and for better performance, you will want to see to the trigger on whichever one you get.

10. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

considering the cost, the 795 is a great value. But aftermarket support can turn the 10/22 into whatever you can afford. I think the 10/22 mags are better, more reliable and flush so it's the better hunting gun albeit at a higher price.

I've hunting with my all-weather 10/22 for a longgg time and never felt like the accuracy was lacking. My son's Marlin 60 is a tack driver but it's heavier and less handy.

11. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have a rem 597...mainly because I picked it up from Jason at Peters Creek for $70 in rouqh shape. It had cosmetic pittinq and surface rust on the barrel, the stock was scratched (synth so not a real prob) and was missinq the front siqht entirely. It was far from pretty but did function once I cleaned out a bunch of the powder residue.

Now it is unrecoqnizable from its old state and I added in a volquartzen triqqer (thank you Brownells and their FFL discount). I have not added tech siqhts as Jason also had a red dot he included in the deal and I have that for the moment. Add in some maqs that Bnizzell traded me and Im set for my needs.

If I ever do qet a chance to do appleseed I have an extra extractor as that is the leqendary failure for the rem 597.

[​IMG]

12. nick9

nick9 Member

My 795 is a great shooter. I slapped a cheap scope on it and it has shot circles around any other .22s that we have or have shot. Not a lot of accessories for it but like someone said if you ain't tinkering and just shooting, go with the Marlin.

13. bashman

bashman Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

My 795 has one of, if not, the worse triggers of any gun I've ever owned.
    It's a great looking and handling gun. Nice wood stock. But the trigger sucks.

14. RedneckFur

RedneckFur Well-Known Member

If you want to spend $250 on a gun, and then spend another $100 to make it shoot...get a 10/22

If you want it to shoot good out of the box (for under $150) get the Marlin.

15. morgantm

morgantm Member

I have both and shoot the 10/22 more. Just my personal preference, the 10/22 feels a lot more solid than the 795.

16. ikarus1

It is MORE solid, with no questionable build quality. I don't think any Marlin made in the last 8 years can really be a shining example of quality assurance thanks to Freedom group.
    That's where the costs/value come into question. The 10/22 can be match-accurate with a $99 Green Mountain sporter barrel, a $30 Volquartsen hammer, and a good glass bedding job.

Oh, and don't get me started on the lack of a quality 25 round mag for the Marlin or Remington or Savage rimfires.

As it stands now, the 10/22 is a great hunting rifle and it's accuracy and handiness is great for that purpose.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  17. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

I fail to see how the marlin's build quality is inferior to the Ruger's.

They're about on par with each other. I've never looked at my 795 and said "well shit, this $105 gun has an awful bluing job."

18. ikarus1

There is more to a rifle than a blueing job. The grittiness of the action, the fit of the mag into the magwell, etc.
    It's not just the 795 either. In fact the 795 might be a shining example of what can come out of Ilion NY

it's not just me that notices:

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....0.101.778.9j1.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.swSrUqQsfKI

Here's some direct comparison videos:

[video=youtube_share;VjBNcUhBld4]http://youtu.be/VjBNcUhBld4[/video]
    [video=youtube;DxLs9V25Q-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLs9V25Q-k[/video]

19. jakerson9

jakerson9 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I cannot criticize the 10-22 or the 795. Both are a great bargain, will last a long time, and are fairly accurate. But you want opinions and here is mine:

I don't have a 10-22. I do have a 795, and I strongly recommend the 795. Many people are sure to disagree, but I would say that the 795 is one firearm that is just as good as a Remlin as it was as a Real Marlin. More people will disagree, but I would take it a step further and say that there *is* a good 25 round mag, too! I almost choke when I say this - but I'd recommend the 25 round Promags. My experience is that these mags work, in this rifle. Internet Experts will scoff, but not all of them. :)

Here is a link to the promags - and Here is a review right here on the Carolina Shooter's Club.

Those mags are just over $21 each, and In the 6 or 7 months since I've gotten mine, I have been very happy with them. The 25rd promag magazines perform as well as I'd expect if they would have shipped with a "MecGar" brand instead. I normally hate Promags because they are usually extremely bad, unreliable, cheaply made... etc. To me, these 795 mags are the exception to that rule, and the 795 is the exception to the "Remlin-ruined" rule. The rifle is solid, it is less expensive than the 10-22, it will last, and as long as you don't want it in a super-tacticacool archieangle stock or something:

The Marlin 795 is what you're looking for.

20. NoKimberDave

NoKimberDave Off to Greener Pastures Club Subscribed

Can never really go wrong with a 10/22.

21. ikarus1

never see em on sale either.

22. RedneckFur

RedneckFur Well-Known Member

I've "went wrong" with several. Bad mags, bad accuracy, and I've owned one that stove-piped 3 out of every 10 rounds. That one also has a 10lb trigger.

When you get a good one, it is good. But I'd rather pay less for something I know is good, over some thing more expensive that might need work to be good.

The 10/22 wins when it comes to ergonomics, but in all the 60's, 795's, and 10/22's I've owned or handled, its the only area the 10/22 leads in.

23. morgantm

morgantm Member

My 10/22 is way more reliable than the 795. The 795 has let me down multiple times running rimfire matches at Caswell Ranch, it would stovepipe multiple times for every 100 rounds. It is probably just a friday afternoon rifle, I've just never cared enough to send a $100 rifle back to the manu about it.

Moral of the story, 90% of the time if you look hard enough you'll find people with stories about unreliable firearms. With every negative review theres probably 10 times that of people who have never had an issue.

24. ikarus1

90% of stovepipe issues are dirty ammo making a gun dirty, and/or low powered ammo not fully cycling a semi-auto. It's why I boycott most Remington rimfire ammo.

25. dwhite6637

dwhite6637 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Your choice really, personally I have never had a problem with a Marlin Rifle, and I can buy 2-3 of them for what they have most of the 10/22's priced at...end of story for me.

26. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

I really do not care about the fit/grittiness/finish... I think you're failing to realize that it is a $150 rifle. Mine has proven to be more accurate and reliable than either 10/22 that I've owned, which were over double the price of my 795.

27. ilivas

ilivas Vendor Vendor

Doesn't really matter but 10/22s can be had for around $200. it's worth the extra money for me anyways.

That being said, I haven't had any problems with my 795 or my 10/22s. However, I have multiple 10/22s and only one 795.

28. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

If u are buyin at $230 rifle..then addin in a barrel and hammer and some other stuff to make if a 400$ rifle..why not buy a cz and be done with it?

29. ilivas

ilivas Vendor Vendor

That's a very valid argument. However some people like to customize their own stuff.

30. RFMan

RFMan Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Picked up this Marlin 60SS with laminate stock about 4 years ago. BSA Sweet 22 scope was $40 from SWFA. Leapers mount. I like shooting both the 795 and the 10/22s (all of 'em :) ), but this little baby epitomizes "sweet shooting"...

Right.jpg