A Beginner’s Guide on “How To Get Laws Passed In North Carolina” | Carolina Shooters Club

A Beginner’s Guide on “How To Get Laws Passed In North Carolina”

Discussion in 'Firearms News and Firearms related political news' started by NC Bullseye, Dec 1, 2010.

1. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

I'm working on a handout for classes as well as a response to others on this so any additional input on what to include would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Edited to clear first draft

Thanks for all the input if you're interested in the final edition, feel free to PM me.

2. NC Dave

NC Dave New Member

+100000

Excellent, informative post.

3. SpeedyCotton

SpeedyCotton New Member

Excellent write up, Thank You.

4. snubbie

snubbie Member

Good job and great advice. You've done the hard part, now if people on here that profess to be concerned with Castle Doctrine, restaurant carry, etc, will JUST DO IT, then we may be able to make some headway in the next couple of years.

5. Indy

Indy Not Subscribed

I think the steps to get laws passed is more like this:

1. Have a lot of money.
    2. Pay a lawyer to draft you up a bill with the changes to the law you want.
    3. Give your money to one or more politicians along with a copy of the law so they will (co)sponsor and vote for it.
    4. Congratulations, you've now seen modern democracy in action.

6. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

Thanks for your constructive input.

7. mbossman2

mbossman2 Registered Member

you indicated that this is for a handout, I have some questions and suggestions:

- what kind of handout is this going to be? single page (regular paper), single page (slick which is a heavier bond with a glossy finish), trifold pamphlet or something else?
    - who or what is your target audience? (age, sex, educational level, income, hobbies and the like)

the writing and information provided is very good and well researched however, it is long. When righting to inform, you really don't want "long", you want short, sweet and to the point.

Additionally, you want to appeal to something that your audience wants or desires (which you have done) so you need to tailor your message to fit their needs/wants/desires. Think about it like this: you walk into the store wanting a pair of shoes and the sales person keeps directing you to suits. What happens next (the majority of the time)?

Finally, KISS comes into play here, especially the last "S" (yeah, I know that this might offend people and I could have called it something else but KISS is a well known acronym). The average american reads at somewhere around the 4th - 6th grade level, you have to make sure that your reading hits that comprehension level and attention span (approximately the length of time from one commercial break to the next - 10-15 minutes, tops). So dial back your writing to that level: simple sentence structure (minimal commas, much less a semi colon); simple word selection (no $5 words); simple and clear logic (nothing that requires more than 1 or 2 steps to draw a conclusion); and images (people LOVE pictures).

From your point of view: be prepared for what you write to end up in the trash. that can be a real kick to your ego (It was for me every pamphlet I wrote or collaborated on ended up in the trash or scattered on the ground) so armor up your feelings. Statistically, you will get 1-5 out of 100 to actually read thru your document and it might influence 1 of them.

You can improve the odds by making the document standout: pictures and bright colors; provocative title (ever see one of those pieces that starts out with something like: "HOT HOT BEAUTIFUL NUDES!!!" and then goes on to say "now that I have your attention..."? same thing applies here) and an easy clear read.

and oh yeah: you forgot the most important pieces of getting legislation past: money, bags and bags of it...preferably in used bills in non-sequential order...a brown paper bag or two and a secluded location picked out so you can make the $$$ drop. :D

8. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

Moose, this is for a CHP class and other shooting classes. It will be a section in their class notebook so it will probably end up being a 3 to 5 page chapter.

I've had the "Short And Sweet" version and it always results in the same questions over and over again so this is the attempt to cover the repeated questions. This will also give them a guide they can have handy while doing the research.

As to pictures, I plan to have a few screen shots and such but internet forums don't lend themselves to a page layout type of post so for now, I want it readable so forum members can get the info without it being screwy based on their web browser and settings.

I know some will have no interest in following through with this but the majority of my target audience will have either paid for the class and thus be financially invested and that will go hand in hand with the class subject matter or it will be forum members that are wanting to know how to go about voicing their desires to their representatives. I just want to give them a hand holding trip through the first time so they don't get lost in the plethora of variables the gov web sites offer.

If it gets 1 out of 100 to actually sit down and write and phone their reps I will consider it a big win. That's better that what happens now. Seems that filling out "online polls" and posting a "me too" in political forums makes many people feel they have done their civic duty.

Thank you for your input and if it kindles any other ideas please feel free to add more.

9. Indy

Indy Not Subscribed

Sorry, I was half-joking but that's how a lot of things get done. I actually do write a lot of letters and emails to my reps to try to get things changed and hope it will pay off soon when the new senate and house take over.

10. NCFlyfisher

NCFlyfisher New Member

Very nice information, NC Bullseye! Thanks for your time in doing this helpful material.

11. mbossman2

mbossman2 Registered Member

questions, even ones that you have heard a hundred times before, can drive a very important thing: discussion, differing comments, differing viewpoints and occasionally, even the teacher might learn things (if nothing else a catchier way of phrasing an argument. Removing them from the mix creates a static and, dare I say it, dull environment plus most will take your book and put it on the shelf and never look at it again. but questions, passionate and compelling answers - - this stick in your mind for much much longer.

whenever i teach/train (regardless of topic or audience), the "book" is used for a while, more so for a framework than anything, but then it gets tossed to the side and discourse occurs. I figure if it worked for Plato, Socrates and Aristotle to name a few, I can work for me.

12. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

The problem is not while teaching the class or the methods of teaching, the problem is when they get home and call back later wanting to contact their reps a few weeks later and they have forgotten some of the info presented. They don't ask questions while in class, because it's fresh on their mind.

This is a very small part of the class curriculum. It's not a required part of the class for the state CHP but with the current laws it's always asked why the laws are what they are. This is just one of the many additional things that I try to touch on that should be important to everyone taking these types of classes.

I'm not having a problem with the teaching aspect, it's the later reference that I'm trying to fill with this. People don't retain in memory the exact URL addresses of websites and which info is provided on which site so this is an attempt to provide a step by step guide.

As mentioned above, I also wanted to have it available for people here that are new to the idea of how to go about letting their representatives know what they want.

When I've recommended on the forum that a person contact their legislative representative it always gets the reaction of "How do I do that?" from someone new to the idea. Instead of posting the complete instructions each time it'd be nice to have the ability to refer to an existing thread.

This is like a good cookie recipe that gets made once a year, you remember it's a good cookie and it has certain ingredients but you have to look at the written instructions on the exact quantities and what order to do the steps in.

Hopefully the people that use this "recipe" won't use it just once a year, they'll use it so often that they'll memorize it and pass it on to others to try.

13. M4Mafia

M4Mafia Member

NC Bullseye thank you. I will start calling and writing next week. We really need to step into the 21st century.

14. M4Mafia

M4Mafia Member

Lets keep this on the first page.