A "gun control" idea that might make everyone (or at least most) happy | Carolina Shooters Club

A "gun control" idea that might make everyone (or at least most) happy

Discussion in 'Politics Section' started by 98cwitr, Feb 25, 2021.

1. 98cwitr

98cwitr Registered Member

I have yet to see this idea floated, but I think this solution addresses the actual valid claims from the anti-2A side (few and far between that aren't just appeal to emotion fallacies), while undoing the infringements that we have experienced ever since the NFA was passed. So here's the idea, and you tell me what you think (hopefully reading this with an open, pragmatic mind):

Repeal the entire NFA and GCA. No more 4473s, Form 1 or 4s, full auto, SBR, SBS, suppressors completely legalized, no mag bans, no more FFL middlemen or transfer fees, and no gun registries of any kind. 50-state federally approved concealed carry.

All of that in exchange for a national firearms license to purchase firearms, ammunition, and ignition media (ie: powder and primers). License would require background check and proficiency exam at a minimum. In order to purchase any firearm or ammunition, you'd need to show a license. This would also apply to both retail and private party transactions.

The only way a gun or ammo gets into the wrong hands is if A) They have no criminal record, or B) They break into your home and the guns/ammo are not secured (or they crack/cut your safe open).

I think I'd be willing to make that deal. How about you?

2. 1911gobang

1911gobang Sponsor

You’re new here, aren’t you?

Lemme go get my popcorn....

“....shall not be infringed.”
    That part has already been violated enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJT and Barrett like this.
  3. 98cwitr

Rolling back the GCA and NFA would undo the mass amount of those, while ensuring that criminals not only can't legally acquire firearms, but makes it harder for them to get ammo to feed their illegally acquired guns; all the while better arming law abiding Americans.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  4. cocopuff

cocopuff Registered Member

Simple solutions to a very complicated matter never work. Sooner or later the country would end up being the second coming of nazi Germany or worst yet Soviet Russia. Great try though.

5. 98cwitr

Correct my thinking here, but it would stand to reason that a 4473 is nothing more than a temporary transactional license anyway, why not simply solidify it? With my CCP, I can buy a handgun same day but still must fill out a 4473, and if you go to sell me one, I need to show my CCP or a PPP to you. This system is ridiculous and is, IMO, far more of an infringement than having a national license if the GCA and NFA were repealed. I'd much rather have a full auto M249 become affordable, available, and shipped to my door if I show I am not a criminal; and in turn, I'd much rather not have felons getting their hands on all the ammo they want to feed their illegally acquired firearms.

6. 9mmEverything

9mmEverything Registered Member

How much is that license going to cost me? Who will it actually exclude? How will I pass the proficiency test if I can’t purchase a gun for practice? I can rent one? There’s another financial barrier.

Once I get it, though, I can file it away with all the other licenses I have for my other rights. My first amendment license needs to be renewed soon. The knowledge and proficiency tests are going to be killer.

No compromise.

Frank Powers likes this.
  7. cocopuff

I’m all for the removal of all firearm restrictions/laws/permits but I will never trade my rights to firearms for any categorized licensing system that is governed by the state. Once you enter that slippery slope the state can at their will totally control your abilities to defend oneself. No approval= no firearms.

8. BIG BUCK 89

BIG BUCK 89 Registered Member

just curious did you vote for Biden..??

NO INFRINGMENTS PERIOD

majicmike likes this.
  9. majicmike

majicmike AKA Studly Hungwell Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

You’ve a little Lib in you. Guns aren’t or never have been the problem. Let’s try harsh punishment for those who commit crimes.
    You don’t solve a mice problem by asking them to follow the rules.

Pumpkinslinger and BurtGummer like this.
  10. cocopuff

98cwitr, the last couple of threads demonstrate what my thoughts are in regards to licensing/categorizing folks. With a statement such as yours, a very thoughtful statement indeed, before you know it you are Pelosi’s favorite son! A much better plan is to do as those that know how to divide and conquer. That is, go after the Democratic Party and support pro-gun candidates, yes it can be done and with a handful of the pro gun faithful within the party their divide and conquer game is over. Lesson: never put all your eggs in one basket.

11. Frank Powers

Frank Powers Registered Member

Don't fuel the fire, no new gun laws period, main reason is it only affects us, criminals could care less what the laws are and they don't buy guns legally anyway.

12. Barrett

Barrett Registered Member

Dude...there are already laws to prevent criminals form obtaining firearms...it doesn't work. The only people following gun laws are law abiding citizens....criminals don't give a shit...a criminal is going to obtain a firearm via illegal means so no new law or new system makes absolutely no difference.

Good effort though..."shall not be infringed" should be pretty obvious to the BATF that everything they do is against the Constitution.

majicmike and Frank Powers like this.
  13. Frank Powers

Criminals steal guns, or buy them from someone else who stole them, do you think they are at gun shows or standing in line at Academy Sports to buy ammo?

majicmike likes this.
  14. 98cwitr

As I've had my home broken into and guns stolen before, I know the value of a good gun safe, albeit I do keep one readily accessible for bumps in the night.

Yes, criminals just buy ammo from the store like the rest of us.

15. 98cwitr

Then how do we get the NFA and GCA repealed? Or are you good with those as "status quo?"

16. 98cwitr

The Dems WILL NEVER willfully agree to repealing the NFA and GCA. SCOTUS wont either....whats the solution?

17. 98cwitr

No. We have a bunch of infringements. I want them gone.

majicmike likes this.
  18. cocopuff

Again the solution is not a simple one, at present the discussions have our country in an extreme division and whatever action our government makes will not be the right one. My solution is the development of a device that supersedes firearms thus killing the need of the 2A as written. Then we can return the firearm to a recreational/historical tool and let the masses continue in the slaughter, hopefully with a more manageable deadly force.

19. 98cwitr

Id like to hear more about this "device" and how it wouldnt be covered by the 2nd

20. cocopuff

Should not have mentioned the 2A being superseded, that’s too long a discussion and not what I was wishing to say. Future technologies will come up with a device to replace a firearm as the primary defense weapon for the masses and my bet is in the not too distant future. Surprises me we don’t have one at present but I figure it is being withheld from the market for one reason or another; crime investigation is one.

21. Frank Powers

I actually haven't heard anyone mentioning repealing either one of them

22. Frank Powers

So they stole your guns, then went to Academy or Wally World to buy bullets for them?

23. 98cwitr

We should be blowing up our Reps phones and demanding GOA and SAF take that position. If we really adhere to the constitutional reasoning for the 2nd, these are intolerable infringements.

The flipside of that coin is the acknowledgement of Americans of the forfeit of constitutional rights for violent felons, and therefore there must be ways to keep arms AND ammo out of their hands without severe repercussion.

24. FINO

FINO Registered Member

If a person is too dangerous to own and bear then that person s too dangerous to roam free among the less dangerous citizens. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED is an absolute not a suggestion.

25. 98cwitr

Agreed! So how do we determine them?

26. cocopuff

Problem is who gets to judge those fit to own a firearm. No way to stop a mental case from acquiring a firearm and protect their personal freedoms at the same time. Lucky for most of us that is the law:).

27. 98cwitr

Im just trying to find a pragmatic way of getting the NFA and GCA repealed.

28. MurphyLong

MurphyLong sudo Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Even if you could get the 2A crowd behind this, there is one huge flaw.

The guns that already currently exist in the hands of the criminals won't just disappear.

cocopuff likes this.
  29. 98cwitr

Their ability to acquire ammo for it legally would though. Right now there is nothing standing in a violent felon's way from walking into a store and buying whatever ammo they want (not considering this dire shortage we're currently in). I consider that an issue worth thinking about. What use is a gun with no ammo? To gain back our freedom to own full-auto SBRs, SBSs, a belt-fed M60 or whatever we want would be worth it to me. I know the left is already gunning for licenses without giving us any freedom back, and the thought of repealing the NFA entirely probably makes them pee themselves a bit, but honestly, it seems like a smart move. Licensing is a slippery slope...I don't want us to become the UK, where you need a license to literally have a cable TV subscription, but I don't think 2A (or even voting rights) should be extended to violent felons.

Owner of AutoKeyCard.com was just arrested by the ATF. We're losing our rights left and right for something that should be constitutionally protected. We wouldn't need "autokeycard" if we simply repealed the NFA outright and he wouldn't be sitting in jail right now.

I would worry less about felons being armed if we had constitutional carry. An armed society is a polite society.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  30. MurphyLong

MurphyLong sudo Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Key word... "Legally." I feel like I've said this phrase so many times to "the other side" so many times, yet it still falls on deaf ears... "Criminals don't care what's legal." On top of that, there are shitbags who perform straw purchases of firearms already, that's not gonna stop at ammo. More fuel for the fire, there are already MILLIONS of rounds in circulation, and as soon as some kind of legislation like that were proposed, reloading components would become unobtanium for everyone. (Worse than it is now.)
    The only people at risk for losing firearms rights are the law-abiding citizens that are hit with the new laws. Want true 2A rights? Become a criminal.

Frank Powers likes this.