Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, been a facebook friend for a while but just signed up on here. Live on a small farm just southeast of Charlotte out in Union County. Bit of a gun nut... Really enjoying my Sigs, Springfields, and the old trusty 1967 Walther PP right now, but just have way too much fun stuff around to list :). Have a small pistol range out back (well, a good backstop setup in the back field anyway) where I shoot the 22 rifles and the pistols. I shoot the larger caliber rifles elsewhere for the most part since my backstop isn't finished well enough for my taste for rifles yet... but I'm still working on it! Try to take at least 3-5 pistols out at least twice a week to keep brushed up and comfortable with what I've got. Run at least a mag or two through each, or a few cylinders of ammo through the revolvers. I'm always buying/selling or trading (mostly buying and trading) so I'll see you guys around the forums here. Glad to meet ya folks!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Welcome to the group!

·
Fat Boy Belts
2,798 Posts
Welcome from up the road in The Peoples Republik of Wesley Chapel.

Curt

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
Welcome Herd, live just on the other side of Monroe from you. My old bud Bill Hornback recently sold his farm and moved to Tenn. He and I were raised on adjacent farms--only he made money--I am still broke--lol. Have some good friends around your little burg. Do Mr. Oliver's kids still cut lumber (south of town)?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi guys! Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm sure I'll enjoy it here! In reverse order...

-06 Are you talking about the old Winchester sawmill at the end of Crow Rd. where it meets Potter? (I actually grew up on Crow Rd. in the house that looks like a barn) If so yes they still are out there some weekends sawing away! Very cool, we've had some wood cut over there for the family for some projects once or twice. I know who the Hornback family is (don't know them well, but do know the family), that's awesome that you guys were neighbors growing up!

s.mcclure - know where you're at generally speaking, I head up some Monday nights to the "club" meeting up the street at the Take Aim Training shooting location, Sportsman's I think is the shop name if I'm not mistaken? I did my concealed carry course shooting section there with my 9mm Mossad compact. Nice guys over there and Stony and Anne Marie are awesome from Take Aim!

gunbelt - ahh the beautiful people's republic of Wesley Chapel! Are you one of the few who can still shoot on their property in the city limits? I know there was that huge mess over the fella with the excellent range... made me sick. I shoot out back at a home made range and don't know what I'd do if I was told I couldn't shoot on my own property where I'm being safe and responsible... gosh.

I'll try to post up a few pictures of some of the firearms in the appropriate section. If any of you guys are like me I'm sure some of you enjoy seeing some gun pictures! The old police Walther is interesting... has some old hand engraving that was well done... the Springfield P9 Race gun... well that's just gonna have to get posted as well.

Oh, and by the way, Dad was Marine Veteran of Vietnam, trapped planes using old ex-carrier gear on a short runway at Chu Lai. Apparently half the runway was under constant construction because of the amount of traffic and poor runway quality, so they had to trap the planes and use JATO bottles to take off... think he mainly trapped the three F4 squadrons from Marine Aircraft Group 13, but I know they took in damaged jets from other bases at times as well. Believe it was 1966 he was there, maybe into early 67. He had some great stories and still did a very dangerous job considering he wasn't being shot at all day! One of those cables snaps and you can't get to cover and you're in half... just disturbing. He got shot down once in a helicopter while sight-seeing/taking pictures one day, just crazy stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.