Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a weak recoil spring affect accuracy? I would think it would to some degree. Wouldn't it be possible for the barrel to unlock from the slide, before the round clears the barrel?

I know a weak spriing lets' the empties fly from here to Kalamazoo.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Seeing as you can shoot an automatic without the spring, I doubt it would have much if any effect. The recoil spring does little to slow the slide when moving rearward.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No to both questions.

You can shoot a locked-breech auto without the spring. I wouldn't try it with a straight blowback.

That has very little to do with it.
Coming from you, I have no doubt about it.

I purchased a Colt vest pocket, .25 ACP. The empties were ejected very far from the gun. After a new Wolff recoil spring, the empties ejected about a third as far. What, besides the new recoil spring, could have helped? Thanks.

·
Staff
4,624 Posts
Not a lot. I thought we were talking about a locked breech pistol. A straight blowback is a different critter. Most straight/undelayed blowback pistols really only need an extractor in order to pull a misfired round and to guide the case consistently toward the ejector, and when fired will "extract" and eject just fine without an extractor at all. Ejection may be all over the map...but they'll run. They utilize residual gas pressure to blow the case out of the chamber, and a weakened spring lets the breech open with more of that pressure available.

I remember a test once with a .22 auto rifle. Rounds were clocked with and without the action spring. The rounds fired without the spring actually showed slightly higher velocities, along with bulged cases. How that happened is a little mysterious...but that's how it rolled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.