Advise on a good setup for a beginner. | Carolina Shooters Club

Advise on a good setup for a beginner.

Discussion in 'General Questions and Discussion, photos' started by Damn_Yankee, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Damn_Yankee

Damn_Yankee Active Member

My daughter is a sophomore and is part of the yearbook team. She has taken a liking to the photography aspect and is hinting at a camera of her own. I don't know the first thing about digital cameras. I know she is enamored with the new ones the school purchased. They are Canon Rebels of some sort. I would like to get her something that has good useful features but I can't spend a whole lot of money. Budget is no more than $400. She sent me this link on ebay. Is this a good deal?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/222331380899

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. Zbizzle911

Zbizzle911 Lead Slinger

Last Christmas before the birth of our first child I bought my wife a Nikon D3300 kit from sams for $399 Iirc it takes great pictures and is an entry level DLSR. We love it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn_Yankee likes this.
  3. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Nikon has some very good starter kits. Costco has some great prices on those kits.

Headspace and Damn_Yankee like this.
  4. Damn_Yankee

Damn_Yankee Active Member

Great. Thanks.

5. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Retired Staff Member Lifetime Member

T6 won't have video, I'd back down to a T5i. Check Craigslist or KEH.com, lots of options in the Canon realm. I am not familiar with Nikons, but should have some good luck with their "serious hobbiest" line also.

6. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

I agree. Between Canon and Nikon, you won't go wrong, but compare the models because features will vary some between the brands.

I bought a Nikon D3400 combo set just after Christmas, the prices were less than they are now, but you can get a full starter DSLR set for about $600. It's a bit more than your stated budget, but you get two lenses that cover a lot of territory. One is an 18-55mm, the other is a 70-300mm. The D3400 also does great video, and is a 24 MP camera. The high resolution allows for cropping large photos without losing sharpness when you enlarge the cropped image for prints. The combo kits are varied, some come with tripods, or a camera kit bag, or accessory lenses like polarizing and UV filters. Go to Amazon.com and enter "Nikon D3400 combo", and shop all the variations. If Canon is what you want, enter Canon EOS packages. I got a package with both lenses, a kit bag and accessory lenses for $500. A couple of shots I made with mine recently: DSC_0087.JPG DSC_0089.JPG DSC_0228.JPG