Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, I am pretty into sourcing affordable reloading components, I am new to the game and evidently I missed the boat when components were truly affordable and available but, I honestly can't think of any Large pistol primers that I have come across..... maybe 1k box here locally but I believe that they were Fedral magnums sorry didn't get the make #. They wanted $150 ,I don't know if that's a fair price or not. I am going out in a couple hours and can get that information for you if you would like. Gives me a reason to stop by the gun shop. I check there regularly because they have a consignment section and occasionally you can find a real deal.

· Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Primers used to be 23 a 1000. Or 150 a case of 5000. Not anymore. I managed 60 a 1000 from a guy off armslist. Im always looking.

Armslist you say? I don't have that one yet, I will in a few minutes though. Lol
I look at ammoseek. I just buy live ammo and reuse the brass when I need it. As some brass is outrageous price

· Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Primers used to be 23 a 1000. Or 150 a case of 5000. Not anymore. I managed 60 a 1000 from a guy off armslist. Im always looking.

[/Wow I can't imagine that even, the only real benefit since I began is better quality and I suppose that there's still substantial savings when shooting my 75gr and up 5.56 rounds I've got some 88gr Hornaday put together and can't wait to try them out but have not as of today
QUOTE]

· Registered
4 Posts
So Southern Defense has a couple different type in stock. These are small pistol, they have Rifle as well. I haven't used these but i have a bunch of the Ginex ones and haven't had any issue with them yet.
Problem is now they moved the minimum to 3 instead of just one brick.

Sean

· Registered
146 Posts
Primer prices are truly outrageous. I've been using Genex primers also (small pistol). Large Pistol primers don't seem to available anywhere at anything like a decent price. Hopefully we'll see things get back to normal soon. We're all waiting...

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm sorry, I am pretty into sourcing affordable reloading components, I am new to the game and evidently I missed the boat when components were truly affordable and available but, I honestly can't think of any Large pistol primers that I have come across..... maybe 1k box here locally but I believe that they were Fedral magnums sorry didn't get the make #. They wanted $150 ,I don't know if that's a fair price or not. I am going out in a couple hours and can get that information for you if you would like. Gives me a reason to stop by the gun shop. I check there regularly because they have a consignment section and occasionally you can find a real deal.
I have had pretty good luck buying components in online auctions. I followed a number of auctions over 6 months or so and bid and did not win several. But during that time, I was able to score a lot of reloading components at "reasonable" prices in 2021 when I could not find primers or powder for reloading anywhere. Not amazing prices but I ended up paying around $38/1000 for primers and $25/lb for pistol powder, throwing away about 10% that was bad.

· Administrator
3,313 Posts
I have had pretty good luck buying components in online auctions. I followed a number of auctions over 6 months or so and bid and did not win several. But during that time, I was able to score a lot of reloading components at "reasonable" prices in 2021 when I could not find primers or powder for reloading anywhere. Not amazing prices but I ended up paying around $38/1000 for primers and $25/lb for pistol powder, throwing away about 10% that was bad.
You threw away primers or powder?

How did you know it was bad?

· Registered
4 Posts
You threw away primers or powder?

How did you know it was bad?
I threw away bad powder. The nitrogen compounds in smokeless powder, like nitrocellulose, degrade and release nitric acid, which has a peculiar acrid smell that I am familiar with (I am a chemist). Typically, exposure to heat, like being left in a garage in our NC summers, causes the degradation. It's probably shootable but I won't use it for 2 reasons. I don't like the idea of pumping corrosive acid down the barrel of the gun, and nitric acid is notoriously reactive and prone to form unstable explosive compounds.

While I have never heard of old smokeless powder spontaneously catching fire or exploding, I still don't trust it. I have seen the aftereffects of a nitric acid solution that exploded in a (thankfully empty) laboratory about 15 hours after it was made. I have read that it makes good fertilizer for the lawn, but I usually burn it (that's more fun). If your powder has a strong acrid smell, it has degraded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts