Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Great Uncle passed away yesterday after a long life. He lied about his age and joined the Marines at 16 after leaving high school to serve. He was wounded in the Pacific while serving with the 6th MARDIV. He received the Purple Heart and was medically discharged and came back to his home town and finished High School, co-captaining the varsity football team with his younger brother, my granddad.

Anyhow, going through some of his things,my dad and I were finding guns, knives, and weapons hidden in every room of the house. The two most interesting firearms were a Springfield M1 and a Marlin .30-30. The M1's serial number indicates it was made in March of 1945 and looks like it saw military service. The Marlin is in MINT condition and the serial number dates it to 1954.

Anyhow, aside from the National Archives, is there a website that I can double check the M1's serial number to see if it was ever assigned to a military unit? I don't think he carried this particular rifle in the Marines, but it's old enough to have seen some service.

Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.