Any Grendel owners/builders/reloaders? | Carolina Shooters Club

Any Grendel owners/builders/reloaders?

Discussion in 'The Snipers Nest' started by Headspace, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

I'm starting my Grendel build, doing an upper to go along with my BLK. So far, I've collected the barrel, bolt and carrier and gas block. I have the gas tube (Spike's), muzzle brake (Precision Firearms) and charging handle (BCM Gunfighter) on order, and when they are back in stock, will order my upper receiver and rail.

I want to use an A3 "slick side" upper, no need for a forward assist, although I think I'd still want the case deflector. I'm going with a forged Mega upper, to match the Mega lower I already have on my 300BLK. My barrel is an OdinWorks stainless, 20", button rifling, rifle gas, 1-in-8 twist. Bolt is headspaced and matched to the barrel. The rail will be a 13" Geissele Mark 8 rail. I'm ordering a 9.5" Mark 4 rail, but will put it on my BLK, and use the 13" rail from my BLK on the Grendel. I already have a good trigger, Geissele's High-Speed National Match DMR. Plans for this rifle is plain-old paper punching, 300+ yards or better. I have a Millet scope I'll trade between this rifle and my M1A.
    Questions:

Who's the best to order brass from? Doesn't matter if it's new, or re-formed once fired.

What is the heaviest bullet commonly used? I'll probably start out with 123 AMAX, but would like to know if the 140 Match is possible to load on the AR platform. I love the almost-.600 BC of those bullets, but wonder if it's worth it for the reduced MV the heavier bullet would give. I also haven't seen any powder loads for that size, but haven't looked too hard, either.

What powders are you using? The Hornady book shows CFE-223 as giving the best velocity, and I've had good results using it on my .308 bolt gun.

Here's my M4 BLK that I built about three years ago: DSC07730.JPG

2. Errorhead

Errorhead Registered Member

I got two Grendels, love them, one 24" AA overwatch upper on an Anderson lower and a pinned 14.5 Sabre Defense before they messed up. My son has taken deer with both out two about 250 yards, I hunt with a bow, but enjoy ringing steel out to 500yards or so. Need to go somewhere to stretch it out further. I don't reload, don't have time, but here are a couple of good links with plenty of good 6.5 Grendel info. I have found the Hornaday factory 123 SSTs hard to beat.
    http://www.65grendel.com/forum/
    http://www.ar15buildbox.com/

3. chuckman

chuckman Well-Known Member

I send all my Grendel questions to Bob Reynolds at Templar Consulting (http://templarcustom.com/). He is in Apex. He was working with Grendels way before they became popular.

4. 5string

5string Active Member

I use Vihtavuori N133. I doubt it can be equaled for clean burning and top notch accuracy.
    Also Lapua brass. Check with Powder Valley for the that.

5. tsconver

tsconver Sponsor Club Subscribed

I use 8208, Hornaday brass and 123gr amaxs in my wife's rifle.

Make sure the grendel barrel is a good one, not all are being made to the original spec, same for the bolt. Basically a 7.62x39 bolt but if they do not make it with the correct depth they are weak. As mentioned above talk to Bob, he knows his Grendels.

6. nukeman

nukeman Registered Member

It's really hard to load bullets heavier than the 123grns to mag length and still fit enough powder to have a decent velocity.

I've put a couple thousand 123 Noslers and Amax's through mine. I did a LOT of powder testing. 8208 is the accuracy winner for sure, ES less than 10fps. Cfe223 gave a little more speed and meters very well.

7. East of Here

East of Here Registered Member

The most accurate handloads (at 100 yards) I have loaded for my rifle have been 123 AMAX's with 8208 in Hornady brass with CCI 450 magnum small rifle primers. I've run them out to 1000 yards. Out to 800 yards they are pretty much automatic, but beyond that, it gets a lot more complicated.

nukeman likes this.
  8. nukeman

nukeman Registered Member

+1. Our results are pretty much identical. I've run them out to 1100, but they turn unpredictable somewhere between 825 and 925. Once they enter that transonic region, they start dropping a lot faster in my experience. They'll still print a great group at distance, though, once you get them on target.