Anybody had bypass surgery? | Carolina Shooters Club

Anybody had bypass surgery?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by byrdman, Jan 1, 2016.

1. byrdman

byrdman New Member

Hey All

Well as young as I am (48) I'm having to have a bypass quad at that on Monday. I was just wondering if anybody has had one and could maybe give me some tips or something.

2. Iron bottom

Iron bottom Member

I had 5 done at once 17 yrs ago. You will feel much better as you recover. I had other complications and don't remember anything for three or four weeks after the surgery. No smoking or fat filled food. Exercise. Change your lifestyle, if necessary. Walk at least 30 minutes three times a week when feeling better.

3. Windini

Windini Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Haven't been there yet, just wanted to wish you the best for the surgery and a speedy recovery.

4. Just Keep Swimming

Just Keep Swimming Hall of Shame

Wishing you the best man. Heed all instructions and warnings with recovery and make the very best of your new chance.

And how on earth are you a "new" member with almost 900 messages!?!

Take care. Hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

5. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Retired Staff Member Lifetime Member

best of luck for a really fast recovery!

6. 5string

5string Active Member

A friend of mine who is pushing 70 had one eight weeks ago and he is doing fine. Just don't try to do too much too quickly.

Butter likes this.
  7. Behindyou

Behindyou Member

My dad had a quad about 15 years ago - and at 86 he is going strong. Best of luck with the procedure.

8. rantingredneck

rantingredneck Disposable apparently Lifetime Member

Father in law had 4 in 2006 along with a pacemaker. Still going strong and had his pacemaker replaced about a year ago. Those have an 8-10 year lifespan.

The docs gave him a pillow to hold across his chest for when he sneezed or coughed for a few weeks after. If they don't give you one keep a throw pillow handy. Seemed from looking at it that any coughing or sneezing sorta sucked for a bit after.

Best of luck!

9. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

The pillow idea is a great idea after any chest or abdominal surgery! Take it slow even when you just start feeling better. Not sure how you feel about pain meds but take them on schedule even if you're not feeling pain yet. You want to stay ahead of the pain for sure. This kind of surgery is becoming almost routine but it's a major surgery so as others said, follow directions for recovery. Don't be afraid to ask questions about anything and do your research on what all is involved. Typically surgeons are great but the nursing staff that you see while you're laid up tend to vary in quality...

Oh and if you've never had a major surgery before... The horribly sore throat upon waking up is no fun. It's a minor thing but be prepared.

gunbelt likes this.
  10. Busta Prima

Busta Prima Registered Member

I'm sure it's a little late for this but from what I've heard the best place to go is the Cleveland Clinic. They do crazy number of these surgeries A DAY. I remember a Saudi Prince flying in for the procedure. If you can, do whatever it takes to have it done there. Like the song goes "Nobody Does It Better."

11. Butter

Butter Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Our chaplain at work just had some done. Like other have said, diet and exercise. I know his activity level was good, but diet sucked.

12. wsfiredude

wsfiredude Hall of Shame Club Subscribed

I've read where they are doing some of them with minimally invasive techniques (not cracking the chest).

13. NC Rebel

NC Rebel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Hope everything goes well and a quick recovery.

14. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

My step father was a plasterer for 30 years. Hanging board. Plaster.
    He got home from work one day and suddenly felt weak.
    My mom took him to the ER and before the night was over he was in surgery. Quint bypass. Two of the arteries were more than 90% blocked.
    He lived another 15 years after that. Lived well and plastered another 10 years before he retired.

Zbizzle911 likes this.
  15. captcave

captcave over there Club Subscribed

If you are eligible for the rehab, do it.
    Keep the pain killers on schedule.
    Don't overdo anything.
    Recliner is your friend.

I haven't had one, but I've seen and been around plenty that have, this is all for if they are cracking you open.

If you have those veins that can't be found for an IV, they can give you a small shot to numb the area before they stick you like a pig.

fishgutzy likes this.
  16. Best wishes to you, and a speedy recovery.

17. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

I had a quad at 42. I was in pretty good shape when I had mine. I was probably about 180 lbs at 5'11". Rode my bike about 3,000 miles the previous 12 months. Here is what I would suggest:

- Be nice to the nurses. They can make your time easier or more difficult.
    - Don't be a tough guy the first week. Plenty of time for that later. Take the pain meds.
    - Look on the bright side. You are going to lose the extra weight you always wanted to. Make a plan to walk every day when you get home. I did 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles before dinner. Don't try to do it all at once. It is much easier to get strong without wearing down breaking your walks into shorter lengths.
    - It is going to hurt. Keep that pillow with you when you get home. Laughing, coughing and sneezing will be your enemies for a while.

Stay positive. It gets better. And if you use your time effectively you'll be better off in the long run. If you need any specific advice or have questions just shoot me a PM. Good luck. You'll be fine.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  18. Cocked & Locked

Cocked & Locked Hunter of Deer...Few More Days Club Subscribed

I've not had one...I've just got a gizzard and don't have a heart.

Seriously though, hope all goes well for you. Do what the Doc says and you should be good to go. Friend of mine had bypass surgery about four years ago. We were cutting and loading wood into a dump truck with a front end loader. He kept getting out of breath and having to take breaks.

Went to see the doctor next day and then straight to the hospital. After recovery he is doing great.

Brangus likes this.
  19. Don

Don Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

One of my best friends had a quad. Luckily they caught his before the heart was damaged. So as he says "I've got new plumbing and a pump that's in good shape."

20. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Registered Member

No experience or advice, just prayers and wishes that all goes well and you have a full and speedy recovery. Keep us posted after :)

21. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

Dad had a nearly fatal attack in early 2013. One blockage at 100%, one at 90%, two at 50%. He had an aortic valve replacement at the same time to correct a previously unknown birth defect. His doc intended to do an ablasion to correct his AFIB, but became concerned about losing him during surgery.

Fast forward two years...he's been in rehab since a month after his surgery and healthier than he's ever been in his life (he'll be 76 in February). He loves rehab and I doubt he'll ever quit going. His primary nurse gave him a chest pillow, and yes, they are a great idea and highly needed. Hug that sucker hard when you cough or sneeze.

What I learned from Dad's event and want to share with you...Do what your doc says...to the letter...no more and no less, especially in regard to recuperation and rehab. If you have any questions, ASK him. He will be professionally and personally invested in your recovery and continued well-being.

We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

22. HF_DX'er

HF_DX'er Section Moderator Staff Member

After 4 heart attacks, and 7 stents, I had quadruple bypass 4 years ago.
    You will be sore for a while.
    I now feel the best I have in over 10 years.
    If you have unhealthy lifestyle, change it.
    If your grossly over-weight, fix it.
    I had weight loss surgery 6 months after the bypass surgery.
    Get active. Stay active.
    Before my surgery, I got winded just taking the garbage out.
    I can now hike with a 45+ lb back pack on the AT for miles.
    If you have any questions, just ask.
    Good luck, and keep me informed.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  23. fishgutzy

Indeed. A Lazy Boy 3 motor power recliner. It puts the Lazy in Lazy Boy. Will lift to to near standing at the push of a button :D

24. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

Reminds me of my step-dads mom getting caught in hers during a power outage. She'd never had to use the battery backup and didn't realize how slow it moved when a heavy person is laying in it and didn't realize it was actually lifting her it was going so slow. She called and says she was trapped in her chair lol. Walked in and it looked like a turtle on it's shell. Had to laugh.

Good luck, OP.

It's scary how many of these stories have started out with "So-and-so felt funny and went to the doctor, and two days later had surgery on blockages". A lesson to anyone that going to the doctor is a better safe than sorry type thing. I'd rather pay a co-pay and head home with no issues than my wife having to call 911 later, I guess.

fishgutzy likes this.
  25. fishgutzy

That could be a whole other thread :D