Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be soon.
Just waiting on tsconver to quit playing with mine and transfer it to me :).
What bbl and what can? Tsconver offered to save me some cash...he's just too far away from me to make it work. I gotta take care of my local guys :)

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
You will need a 30cal can if you plan to run supersonic ammo. 9mm cans are only good for subsonic ammo. I have a Wilson 11.3" barrel which runs great suppressed/unsuppressed with Supers and Subs.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will need a 30cal can if you plan to run supersonic ammo. 9mm cans are only good for subsonic ammo. I have a Wilson 11.3" barrel which runs great suppressed/unsuppressed with Supers and Subs.
Yep...but I was planning on a secondary build for subsonic .300 BO...just not sure if it's worth the effort for the Octane. Would the subsonic ballistics be appreciably better than 9mm?

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Yep...but I was planning on a secondary build for subsonic .300 BO...just not sure if it's worth the effort for the Octane. Would the subsonic ballistics be appreciably better than 9mm?
That's a good question......because technically 300blk is however there really aren't any feasible options for expanding bullets for 300blk Subs so you end up with 200+gr bullets that will penetrate and keep going. 9mm as you know has many expanding options in 147gr.

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
How about a 9mm upper! :)

lots of ammo choice...or easy to reload
works great with Octane
suppresses better than 300bo (127dB vs 131dB)

actually, Im just rationalizing my 9mm sbr build, but after trying a suppressed 300bo at DPRC yesterday, its now back on my project list...

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting a little confused now after thinking about this. I "ASSumed" that I could run any 9mm through the Octane on an AR platform (which I presumed would be supersonic?)...is this correct? I thought the subsonic rating by SWR was only for the .300BO.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

works great with Octane

actually, Im just rationalizing my 9mm sbr build, but after trying a suppressed 300bo at DPRC yesterday, its now back on my project list...
My initial SBR build will be a 9mm AR with a 5.25 bbl. I'd planned for my second upper build to be a 8-10" .300BO build for the same Octane can.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yes, you can run any 9mm load of your choosing through an Octane sub (147gr/158gr) or super (115gr/124gr) and the can will handle both fine. Only difference being the supersonic "crack" in sound. When it comes to 300blk the Octane, like most 9mm cans, is rated for SUBsonic 300BLK due to the increased pressure associated with full power supersonic 300BLK loads. There are some exceptions like the Liberty Mystic 9mm can that will handle both sub and super 300blk, but at the expense of being one big heavy mofo. :)

·
Vendor
5,801 Posts

works great with Octane

Ballistics are better for the 300 than the 9mm, to get best ballistics from a 9 which is still a pistol round no matter what you shoot it out of, you need a longer barrel.

With 220 grain my rifle which was zero'd at 100 yards with supersonic rounds is on center mass with just a slight hold over at same distance with sub rounds. Those that shot it yesterday were having no issue hitting 8" steel at 40 yds and torso size steel at 50yds with no coaching so i am assuming they were not doing any hold over.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, you can run any 9mm load of your choosing through an Octane sub (147gr/158gr) or super (115gr/124gr) and the can will handle both fine. Only difference being the supersonic "crack" in sound. When it comes to 300blk the Octane, like most 9mm cans, is rated for SUBsonic 300BLK due to the increased pressure associated with full power supersonic 300BLK loads. There are some exceptions like the Liberty Mystic 9mm can that will handle both sub and super 300blk, but at the expense of being one big heavy mofo. :)
Great!...that was my thinking when I planned this build. I understood the can to be limited only by the .300BO loads....not the 9mm factory loads. That being said, I'm trying to justify a ballistic advantage with .300BO. If there's no reasonable advantage over 9mm then I can't justify a secondary .300BO upper build other than another "toy".

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ballistics are better for the 300 than the 9mm, to get best ballistics from a 9 which is still a pistol round no matter what you shoot it out of, you need a longer barrel.

With 220 grain my rifle which was zero'd at 100 yards with supersonic rounds is on center mass with just a slight hold over at same distance with sub rounds. Those that shot it yesterday were having no issue hitting 8" steel at 40 yds and torso size steel at 50yds with no coaching so i am assuming they were not doing any hold over.

Thanks, but the question is related to subsonic .300BO VS any 9mm due to the limits of the can.

·
Vendor
5,801 Posts
Great!...that was my thinking when I planned this build. I understood the can to be limited only by the .300BO loads....not the 9mm factory loads. That being said, I'm trying to justify a ballistic advantage with .300BO. If there's no reasonable advantage over 9mm then I can't justify a secondary .300BO upper build other than another "toy".
Real question is what do you want to do with it? That should be your deciding factor. I have no experience with 9mm on ar platform. However the 300 black sub loads are a little finnicky. They are so long that they max out the magazine and this can lead to a few miss feeds. I think finding the right mags and making the round as long as possible for the mag will help. We switched to gi mags yesterday and most of the feed issues went away. To be honest that was the most subs i ever ran through it and i learned some things and will probably stick to gi mags for sub rounds.

All that being said the subsonic 300 gun is one of my favorites to shoot, it is just a blast suppressed.

·
Vendor
5,801 Posts
Thanks, but the question is related to subsonic .300BO VS any 9mm due to the limits of the can.
Not sure what you mean, 300 sub rounds are ballitically better and that is what i was referring to. They are a rifle round, they will fly better and be less impacted by wind.

As i just wrote, really need to know what you plan to use it for? Since can hunting is illegal, is it home defense, plinking, etc? Not sure why anyone would need either in the real world unless you were on an entry team. I know mine is fir pure enjoyment.

·
Vendor
5,801 Posts
My bad......lack of reading and comprehension tsconver :)
Lol no worries

Guess i need to build a 9mm upper. Never thought about what mods have to ne done to lower do they make adapters so you can use a standard lower and how reliable are they?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.