Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to start my own over the winter, Im a novice carpenter at best. Well maybe a little better than novice. Just wondering if anyone has ever built their own coop.

How hard was it? I know its a pretty vague question, Im hoping someone will share their experiences with me. I dont want to just buy a kit cuz theyre pretty pricey.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4-6 birds tops

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
A coop or a "tractor"?...I built a coop. 4' x 8' with an 8' x 16' fenced pen attached. We "had" 6 hens and a rooster till they got picked off one by one by *****.
Planning to do some coop remodeling to prevent that from happening again, but we're waiting till we get a water supply to it. Twas a pain to shuttle water the
way we had it set up before.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think he said he spent like 20 bucks. Looks like something from jungle. Sticks, plywood and bungie cord

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
41 Posts
I built one using shipping pallets that I got free. It ended up about 4x8. The back is two pallets across the back and one across the side, and the walls are two pallets high. It has six nesting boxes. I also put a door on the outside to collect eggs from the nesting boxes. I have 12 hens that nest in it. You could most likely do this on a smaller scale. Here are some pictures.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might luck out and pick up one of those kits and just put one together myself in the spring. My wife is excited about the idea, but I can see her turning them all into pets and trying to bring them in the house.

Im still looking forward to it.

I know theres lots of other info online but I wanted more local info from people here.

Thx fellas.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i have plans for both chicken "tractors" and permanent (attached to the land) coops .... lemme know if you would like to talk about them

we (better half and I) have been raising chickens for years for eggs and meat for our family and to sell ... here is some friendly advice ... do NOT use chicken wire as the only thing it will keep out is chickens .. it barely slows down predators like foxes, raccoons and coyotes ... use something called hardware cloth instead .. don't let the name fool you .... there is no cloth involved .. it is all galvanized metal ... it costs a little more up front but well worth it .. the aforementioned predators can take out the whole coop in one night ... trust me: use the hardware cloth

·
Registered
502 Posts
I built mine. It wasn't hard. But, make sure to bury a couple of feet of wire fence under the ground & have a good roof to prevent burrowing & flying predators.

-

Attachments

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh now that's just cool. I really dig the wheels so you can move it.

Pretty darn slick.
I thought for sure you'd pick up on the rear access aspect of it. Youre gettin slow old man!

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lots of great ideas here!~!

Im looking at putting in a garden in the spring as well. I wanted one this past spring but never got around to it.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.