Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW! Thing is LOUD!!!

Happened Friday afternoon. Needless to say I have kept my car in the driveway over the weekend and I dont like it. I have always parked my car in the garage overnight.

Has this happened to anyone? Any idea what Im looking at to replace?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I had one break and it flopped around, damaged the sheet rock and put a dent in my SUV. Over the years (one at each house) had four broken. As for replacement costs I can't help as I've always replaced them myself. I suggest that you replace both at the same time.

-R

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both? As far as I can tell theres only one on mine. Right in the center, near where the opener connects.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Depends on the door size and spring configuration. Some have two - one on each side with a pulley system. Those are dangerous when they pop. Then there are those that are wrapped around a axel and supply tension by twisting.

If you're mechanically inclined the replacement is easy. Take the old spring off, match the paint color (tension strength in lbs), reassemble, pre-torque, set the lock bolt, have a job well done beer.

-R

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I've had two break over the years. One while I was closing the door manually from the inside and it nearly took my head off. Yeah, pretty loud and violent when they let go. I always had the two spring set up... one on each side and just replaced the springs.Pretty simple and not that expensive. I am not familiar with a single spring door.

·
Provider of Facts
5,693 Posts
Some smaller or lower weight doors have only one spring.

To safetly change out, make sure you use TWO rods, or bars, made of at least some type of rebar strength. You will have to slide the old spring off, the new srping will have a straight line painted down one side of it, and when you turn the srping to add tension, you will start to see 2 lines, then 3 lines, then 4 lines. Basically, with every full rotation of the spring, another line appears, this is how you can measure the tension on the spring. USE 2 hands and stay focused. If that rod slips while you are turing the spring, you may go bye bye or at least lose an eye.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to worry gents, I have no plans to DIY it.

One of our custodians here at school does garage door work part time, im hoping my wife can sweet talk him a little.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
if you have torsion springs, I'd let someone else do it while you watched and drank beer. Then next time you can do it yourself, it's basic mechanical knowledge with a hint of danger thrown in for spice.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Yup, had one of my two give way back in the spring. I wasn't interested in losing an eye at best or my life at worst so I outsourced it. $150 to replace both which is highly recommended and I believe a single replacement was $100. I have the guys card around here somewhere if you want the info. He was a referral by a member here and I was very pleased with the work.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, had one of my two give way back in the spring. I wasn't interested in losing an eye at best or my life at worst so I outsourced it. $150 to replace both which is highly recommended and I believe a single replacement was $100. I have the guys card around here somewhere if you want the info. He was a referral by a member here and I was very pleased with the work.
PM it to me if ya dont mind. Thnx friend.

·
Registered
486 Posts
For those that have two springs and the pulley system... get the cables that go through the springs, to keep them from becoming projectiles if they break. I've almost been killed by one.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not that hard really. You just have to be REALLY careful. I replaced my single spring a while back after watching this 3 part series.

I got my replacement spring at an Overhead Door dealer in Hickory.
How much do you charge? ;)

·
Vendor
8,204 Posts
How much do you charge? ;)
Probably best to go with Krabba. My PIA hidden surcharge is excessive. :D If you can get it done for $100, go for it. My single spring was around $70 and an hour wait to have it cut.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Mine is a single spring door. Local company charged me about $100 to replace the spring when it broke about a year ago. It didn't look that hard to do, but at the price they charge, no reason for me to risk getting hurt.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
I'm about to need replacements myself. One of the springs has a widening gap in between the coils so it might be only a matter of time. I've got the two spring setup that runs parallel to the door track.

I did have a spring break loose at my old house that made a huge commotion. Fortunately only one of the two cars was in the garage and no damage on anything was noted.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im fortunate that nobody was in the garage and I had left the car in the DW planning to cut my grass that afternoon. I dont think I would have been able to raise the door now that I have the safety release inactive and zip-tied shut.

Glad I didnt sell my second push mower.........

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
The one on my left garage broke last year. I think I paid somthing like $120 to get it fixed.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can only afford one garage on a teachers salary. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.