Ar15 scope help | Carolina Shooters Club

Ar15 scope help

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by swardrn, Sep 14, 2017.

1. swardrn

swardrn Registered Member

Hey all I just picked up an American Tactical 5.56 ar15 this week. Love it. This is a brand new world for me and I really dont know that much about ar15s so I am asking for help. I bought the rifle without optics and what do you guys recommend for scope. I will use this some for hog hunting and range. So if heard red dot an then I have heard scope. What do you recommend and why? Thanks so much!

2. xRHINOx

xRHINOx Registered Member

I prefer scopes over red dots personal preference. Short range hunting out to 100yds 1-4 is good. 1x if stalking and 4 if you have the time and need to make it closer. Same for most of my hunting bolt guns but I use a 3-9. The higher power is good for stand hunting. Low power for faster shoots. Sometimes too much power and you miss the small branches you can see if the power is too high.

3. James Harnish

James Harnish Registered Member

Get a primary arms, they are good glass for the price, and they have some very good reticle options.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

When I bought my first AR I tried a buddies 1-4 on it and for my hunting needs I found it under powered for me as I was use to at least a 2.5-10 scope from years of hunting . I buddy really wanted that rifle so sold it and built one the way I wanted it and put a 2.5-10x42 Nikon prostaff 7 on it . It has a 30mm tube BDC reticle and offers good shot placement at longer yardage than a dot optic or a 1x varible can offer .

I've killed hogs and deer with a 2.5-10 as close as 25 feet hunting in anything from a thick swamp or creek bottom up to 350 yards when you walk up to a woods road and see game at some distance , but like I said I'm use to scopes and can shoot both eyes open at shorter yardage. IF your not use to scopes and not knowing your budget its a guess what will work best for you .

I have a red dot on a revolver I've hunted with for decades , a 2 moa dot and its good for modest distance's in the field with larger heavy bullets where a shoulder shot is wanted a bullet impact with in 4 inch area fro aim point at 100 yards will make a pass threw and drop a hog . Tried one on a AR and found bullet aim point and shot placement tend to be less precise as distance grows and those little bullets should be placed precisely for a quick kill . That's not the domain of red dots as yardage increases and hunting is not like military needs .

Having the power of a variable scope may let you see branches too that you would not see with low power or a dot optic and increase's low light visibility at the lower power settings .

Scope I have on my AR - http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products//riflescopes/prostaff-7-2.5-10x42-bdc.html

5. hdrolling

hdrolling Registered Member

If you give us a price range your trying to stay in that would help narrow down your choices.

6. coxter69

coxter69 Registered Member

A 1-4x with a lighted reticle has worked well for me, both eyes open while aiming is a plus. I have a Millet DMS-1 that I really like, but there are lots of other budget friendly options. Primary Arms has lots of options, good quality, and good prices.

7. pineoak

pineoak Registered Member

If on a budget, then practice and train with your iron sights. You need the skillset anyway if used as a defensive tool.

If buying for defensive usage inside of 100 yards 90%+ of the time, wait for the Black Friday or other sale from American Defense Manufacturing and get the Aimpoint PRO with their SOCOM/high mount. Great deal for an optic you could take into the sandbox.

For a range toy that you're not needing for defense and not worried about the red dot being daylight bright, the Burris RT6 is available for $300 (SportOptics?) and is a great scope for the $$$; but know the red dot may not be visible during the day so it won't be reliable as a red dot, only as a 1-6x scope; this is your best bet IMO for hog hunting and range use

an expensive range toy or quality defensive tool that is heavy but solidly durable is the Vortex Razor Gen2 1-6x; the PST Gen2 may be an option as the glass is great but I can't testify to the durability as although I owned one, I never even mounted it

8. Socom Elite

Socom Elite Member

Both the Vortex strike Eagle and the PST are not daylight bright.

9. Sevenshot

Sevenshot Registered Member

3-9x40 from a reputable company. Better to buy a nice piece of glass. You can put it on any rifle you want to use that day.

303hunter likes this.
  10. Ken Murray

Ken Murray Registered Member

I use a Eotech 512 with a 3x Eotech magnifier with the 3x on a flip mount. Expensive set up, but I took in trade for upgrading a buddy's AR. I have a Holosun circle dot on another rife. I also use a couple of Vortex's. Vortex's are bad on batteries. My choice for price, quality and battery life? Holosun for home defense, varmint shooting and plinking. Serious range shooting? I like my Nikon P-223. Does a great job for the price.

11. 303hunter

303hunter Registered Member

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 is excellent glass for around $150. I’ve got them on both my 450 Bushmaster AR’s, and highly recommend them. Nikon “P” series rings are very budget friendly, and high quality.

12. 303hunter

303hunter Registered Member

Just realized this thread is two years old....