Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, on another thread I commented that I load steel and aluminium. It was requested that I give some more details on this.

I initially used a set of both that I picked up from the range. Curiosity got the best of me so I loaded them up with my standard load. They all fired fine and the cases looked normal. I have reloaded the same cases several times since then and they are holding up fine. I have has nickel brass fail quicker in the past so.....

Now, some may not agree with this and that is fine. This is my experience only and I use brass 99.9% of the time. I just couldn't see just throwing them away so now I use them when I have enough to load and will shoot them at random loss brass local matches.

Now, please remember, this is my experience, you can take it or leave it. I check my cases and only shoot powder puff loads in them. I have had great results with them and will continue doing so.

Disclaimer-this is my opinion and yours may vary.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Add long as it is not beridan primed then no special tools are required. I load them in the same for with the same setup as brass.

As posted by others, the aluminum cases may not last as long bit I have been able to lead them several times due to the low charge I use on my plinking loads.

Best part is that no one fights you for these cases.:p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Yeah, the Wake Country range is particularly bad for brass thieves.

With that said, the risk to a firearm and potentially its user from reloading non-flexible metals (like steel) isn't worth it to me; I reload brass and nickel (nickel for pistol only) and leave the "disposable" Aluminum, Steel, etc stuff for the recycle man...

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
I've tried it just out of curiosity and it did work, but I never felt a need to continue. Brass is plentiful and cheap. If that changes I'll adjust accordingly.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
It's still nice to have this info just in case there is a shortage of brass cases in the future. I didn't realize that some aluminum & steel cases were Boxer primed. Good to know.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Most, if not all of the Tulammo is boxer primed. I have also reloaded it successfully. I normally use it for lost brass matches. That way, I don't cry about losing the brass. :)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Thanks for posting this up and also appreciate the links in the related thread

·
Registered
290 Posts
Shhhhh. This info may make a dent in my pickups from the range.....I reload aluminum a lot.

One thing I have experienced and want to pass along is be careful when you tumble.. I have seen two things happen if you are not careful. 1. If you use walnut and tumble it to long, the walnut can destroy the case mouth. 2. If you use mineral spirits in your media, it will soften the clear spray on the cases which will cause it to build up in your dies - be sure to clean it out - it picks up fine dirt partials and will start to scratch all your cases.

Keep an eye out for cracked cases while you work through this process! I will sometimes start to load a nice looking case and after loading it, find it cracked. DO NOT OVER BELL THE CASE MOUTH!!

Like everyone else, this is my experience and yours may be different. These cases are considered single use from the manufacturer so proceed at your own risk.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For me it's not about the brass,I have plenty of that. It was more about the curiosity. I hate waste and throwing away the case is just waste. If I get one more load out of them then I feel like I did something positive.

I am not worried about running my gun or injuring myself by loading these cases. However,I would not max load them, ever. But then again I don't max load anything, just wastes powder.

Plus I am pretty sure that both aluminum and steel are flexible enough to use a few times. You just have to watch your cases like you should be doing anyways
:p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah, the Wake Country range is particularly bad for brass thieves.

With that said, the risk to a firearm and potentially its user from reloading non-flexible metals (like steel) isn't worth it to me; I reload brass and nickel (nickel for pistol only) and leave the "disposable" Aluminum, Steel, etc stuff for the recycle man...
Guilty as charged. Last Friday night I stole a couple of hundred, boxer primed, once fired, 223 brass cases from the Wake county range. Sometimes I stand behind the shooter of a semi auto handgun and catch the cases before they hit the floor. I wonder why people reload steel cases when there are brass cases just laying/flying around at the range for the taking. Apparently, people are not taking enough brass from the range as they have maybe a dozen 5 gallon cans full of various cases.

BTW -The Tula ammo that I have shot -7.62x39 and 5.45x39 - have had Berdan primers. Where can you buy Berdan primers? I saw them once for sale at Powder Valley.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I should have clarified my Tulammo statement, new handgun ammo (.40 and .45) is boxer primed. Don't know about anything else as I don't shoot it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Guilty as charged. Last Friday night I stole a couple of hundred, boxer primed, once fired, 223 brass cases from the Wake county range. Sometimes I stand behind the shooter of a semi auto handgun and catch the cases before they hit the floor.
You stand behind me and steal my brass while I'm shooting and we're going to have a little come-to-jesus meeting.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I always ask the shooter if he reloads and if not, may I have it. It's a plus for those who shoot at PDHSC and don't reload as I will clean their lane for them.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've reloaded some Chinese copper washed 7.62X39 berdan primed cases. I popped the primers from the inside with a small punch over a drilled anvil. Then, rather than tumble them, I washed them in a top loading washing machine while enclosed in a mesh garment bag. Set out inverted to sun dry.
I got the PMC .217 diameter primers from a score of 20,000 I purchased off of Gunbroker some 5 or 6 years ago.
Everything went well as far as loading and crimping (Lee).
I did notice that about 1 in 5 had split necks after being fired so I gave up on that little project. I do still have an ammo can or so that I've not fired saving for a rainy day and don't care if I retrieve the spent cases or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.