Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remington Arms has reportedly acquired LAR Manufacturing, Inc., a manufacturer of component parts for M16 and AR15-platform rifles and LAR Grizzly firearms.

Although Remington has not officially announced its LAR acquisition, LAR Manufacturing has confirmed the buyout.

Earlier this month, Remington acquired The American Parts Company Inc. (TAPCO), a designer and marketer of aftermarket accessories and replacement parts for firearms, with an emphasis on tactical-style modern sporting rifles.

Headquartered in West Jordan Utah, LAR Manufacturing has been producing firearms and firearms components since 1968.

LAR is a U.S. government contractor and has supplied firearms parts and tripod mounts to the U.S. military.

They currently supply AR15-platform gun components to many firearms manufacturers, including the Freedom Group companies Bushmaster, Remington, and DPMS. LAR is also known for its Grizzly Big Boar .50BMG rifle and .50BMG Tactical Rifle.

Industry insiders report that Remington had recently tapped LAR to help it fulfill its new five-year, $84 million contract to manufacture M4 rifles for the U.S. Army.

As outlined in the following list, this is the latest in a series of strategic acquisitions made by Remington and its holding company, Freedom Group, Inc. (FGI ), since Cerberus Capital Management – which bought Bushmaster Firearms in 2006 -- acquired Remington in 2007:

DPMS (Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services) Panther Arms: Tactical-style military and civilian rifles (December, 2007).

The Marlin Firearms Company (lever-action and bolt-action rifles) and Harrington & Richardson (break-action single-shot rifles and shotguns) ($48.1 million; January, 2008).

EOTAC, LLC: Tactical clothing primarily for law enforcement and military personnel ($0.5 million/62% ownership; September, 2008).

INTC USA, LLC: Lead-free centerfire and shotshell projectiles, frangible bullets, and loaded ammunition products ($1.5 million/27% ownership; November, 2008).

Dakota Arms, LLC: Niche high-end rifles, shotguns, and ammunition for large/safari game ($1.8 million; June, 2009).

Advanced Armament Corp.: Silencers/firearms accessory products, primarily for law enforcement and military weapons ( $11.1 million; October, 2009).

Barnes Bullets, Inc. , Premium, lead-free centerfire bullets and loaded ammunition for hunting, law enforcement, and military use ($25.6 million; December, 2009).

Mountain Khakis, LLC : Outdoor lifestyle apparel specializing in pants and shorts (75% ownership; May, 2010).

Para USA, LLC: semi-automatic handguns ($5 million; January, 2012).

The American Parts Company Inc. (TAPCO).a designer and marketer of aftermarket accessories and replacement parts for firearms, including magazines, grips, slings, and mounts (November, 2012).

As well as the recent TAPCO announcement and their purchase of some Cobb patents a few years back, The Freedom Group consists of the following:

1.Advanced Armament Corporation
2.Barnes Bullets
3.Bushmaster
4.Dakota Arms
5.DPMS / Panther Arms
6.H&R 1871
7.Marlin Firearms
8.Mountain Khakis
9.Para USA (Para Ordnance)
10.Parker Gunmakers
11.Remington
12.Remington LE
13.Remington Military
14.Remington PMPD

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Has anyone read about life at Remington and Marlin factories since they were rolled into "The Freedom Group"?

I'm not sure what you got slammed on. Is it time to get out my special Mylar "Whistlepig" hat?

Seems like Cerberus Capital Management is becoming a major player in the firearms and related items market.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone read about life at Remington and Marlin factories since they were rolled into "The Freedom Group"?

I'm not sure what you got slammed on. Is it time to get out my special Mylar "Whistlepig" hat?

Seems like Cerberus Capital Management is becoming a major player in the firearms and related items market.
I got slammed on another post about the difficulty we were having (as an LGS) getting ammo and ARs and few other things. I was accused of trying to create a run, when in fact, it was my intention to inform. The last thing I want is a run, at least on my store. There's more to it, but it's pretty much in the past now. Trying to keep people informed apparently doesn't pay off as I thought it did.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Big deal. A big company bought a smaller company. Happens every day. They aren't cornering the market on anything. In fact, sounds like they are buying a handful of random cheap, low end weapon and weapon related manufacturers with the exception of a couple small niche companies. What is going to change here? Nada...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big deal. A big company bought a smaller company. Happens every day. They aren't cornering the market on anything. In fact, sounds like they are buying a handful of random cheap, low end weapon and weapon related manufacturers with the exception of a couple small niche companies. What is going to change here? Nada...
Somehow I knew you'd weigh in with a negative comment Big Felipe. I can always count on you!

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts

with multiple family members employed at remington, i get the insider info.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Obviously you gents haven't heard of a monopoly in business. When a company buys out smaller ones of the same nature it creates a shift in the market. Once a company controls majority of the market, it controls the price. Whose to say that these buy outs won't lead to even higher prices. Once you control the market you control the consumer.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
I got slammed on another post about the difficulty we were having (as an LGS) getting ammo and ARs and few other things. I was accused of trying to create a run, when in fact, it was my intention to inform. The last thing I want is a run, at least on my store. There's more to it, but it's pretty much in the past now. Trying to keep people informed apparently doesn't pay off as I thought it did.
That's not why we gave you crap. It was your reasons stated for it...UN treaty, Obamas come'n to get us kind of stuff. I don't think anyone doubts that ammo is getting short because people are buying it up.

·
Premium Member
11,811 Posts
I'll turn the conspiracy knob up one more notch, if you consolidate a lot of manufacturers of a politically unpopular product and then someone from .gov claims there's something questionable about their business practices.....

I'm a big fan of redundant systems and multiple sources. Eliminating competition by buying them all up and consolidate them does more than just encourage pricing monopolies.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts