Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,223 Posts
Appears you're off to a good start...oughta be a good one ;)

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chiefjason:913164 said:
LIME!!!!! Put some lime on it while you are turning it. Looks good. And push all your leaves in there and turn them in too.
I remember you saying you did that. I need to do some more research. Our first garden here was 12 yrs ago and was 1/3 the size. Turned out pretty good. I've got some good compost to put in too. My tiller is pretty small though. Weed eater motor. :(

Should I stock up on reg seeds or go for the heirloom nonGMO stuff?

·
Vendor
8,204 Posts
If you have a local mom and pops hardware store go talk to them. Sometimes they carry some really good stuff. My local guy carries good seed and heirloom plants in season. The big box seeds can sit for a long time and be really dry which makes it tougher to sprout them. If you can find bulk seed in bags or cans even better. Bulk seeds have a 2 year shelf life before replacing, pre packaged bags can sit for up to 5 years before they are sold. Stay away from the little pre packages ones if you can. If it's all you can find use them.

And some of it depends on the vegetable you want. Personally I use crook neck squash, mountain half runner beans, better boy and cherokee purple tomatoes, little green cukes, and green peppers. I seed my squash, sunflowers, and beans. This year I am trying tomatoes and cukes too.

I have not dealt with these folks yet, but I've heard good stuff about them.

http://sowtrueseed.com/

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx so much CJ. I want this to be something that will eventually turn into a supplement to my preps.

I talk about my BIL all the time, but this guy, I swear. He has a garden thats probably 25yds square or more. I dont have the room, but I think this will be fine for a start.

·
Vendor
8,204 Posts
If you plant it and rotate it right you can do a lot with a little. Here is a shot at just under half of my garden. I'm standing at the corner and you can kind of see where it ends on the other side. You can also see that it's not really deep. The other section behind me is just a little bigger than this. We had a great season this year and we are still getting some tomatoes and green peppers. I'm letting my okra and beans go to seed. I had 72' of beans and got about 52 pints canned. And we lost the beans kind of early too.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amazing. I really want this to be my thing. Ill leave the chickens to my wife. I think we'll start with them in the spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.