Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple who deliver newspapers in Union County are accused of breaking into customers' homes while they were out of town and stealing jewelry, coins and other items.

The suspects, Amanda and Charles Bowers of Monroe, worked for an independent contractor and were carriers who delivered the Observer and a Monroe paper, The Enquirer-Journal. It was not clear Saturday which paper or papers the victims were customers of.

Victims in a dozen cases told investigators they lost more than $30,000 worth of items from their homes, according to a dozen incident reports.

The Bowers were each charged recently with multiple counts of breaking and entering and larceny. Records show Charles Bowers remained in jail Saturday under a $310,000 bond. Amanda Bowers was not listed as a Union County inmate.

The couple are suspected in as many as 20 home break-ins in Monroe, Wesley Chapel and other areas in Union.

Union County deputies said the victims in the cases all had newspaper subscriptions and had temporarily stopped delivery when they were scheduled to go out of town.

"These folks would then know who wasn't home and would enter homes and remove items," said investigator Andrew Mullis of the Union County Sheriff's Office.

Mullis said investigators have been working on the case for the past year to year and a half. "We knew there was a connection," he said, "and were just recently able to put all the dots together."

WCNC-TV, the Observer's news partner, reported that the Bowers worked routes for both the Observer and The Enquirer-Journal. The Monroe newspaper is closed on weekends, and a message left for its circulation department wasn't immediately returned.

Jim Lamm, the Observer's vice president of circulation, said the company was notified about the Bowers' arrests on Friday by its independent contractor who handles deliveries in Union County. Contractors are responsible for hiring carriers, who are not direct employees of the paper.

Lamm said he has never experienced a problem like this in his 40-year-career at six papers, and staff believes nothing like this has happened before at the Observer.

One of the break-in victims, Cathy O'Brien, described the crimes as an invasion of privacy. "It kind of shatters your confidence a little bit," she said.

According to a police report, the O'Briens reported as missing jewelry, a wallet, iPod dock and other items valued at about $1,100.

"We were fortunate that we didn't lose anything really big, but we lost enough that you still miss it," O'Brien said. "I'm still looking for things but I'm very glad they have been caught because it makes you very mad."

Lamm said the Observer plans to talk with its independent contractors to try to prevent an incident like this from happening again. He said that while he doesn't believe the company has been contacted yet by police, the Observer would cooperate with investigators.

"We're very pleased on the behalf of the Observer that these folks have been apprehended and taken care of and put into the justice system," he said.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/17/3672930/newspaper-carriers-charged-in.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/17/3672930/newspaper-carriers-charged-in.html

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
...Good reason to cancel the local fishwrapper. I did 20 years ago.

Newspaper publishers are boobs at best, and an enemy of Liberty if we boil it down to the essence of the worst.

Why anyone send them money these days is beyond my comprehension.

·
Vendor
8,204 Posts
I had a cousin that just loves to post that she's going on vacation and current vacation pics day by day to Facebook. She came back from her last vacation and her house had been broken into. I only post vacation pics once I'm back home. And I always request drive by's from the local PD and let them know that there should be no one at the house. Having retired neighbors is nice too.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We were having a surprise 40th for a buddy of mine. I went down the street to the cold de sac and asked one of the neighbors if she minded if we parked a couple of cars there. She proceeded to tell me each house where the neighbors were out of town. I had never met this woman. I'm sure she was good at knowing what was going on everywhere.... I told her it probably wasn't a good idea to tell strangers which of her neighbors were on vacation. It didn't seem to phase her.

·
Registered
451 Posts
We lived in Pennsylvania for a few years and the bad guys were combing through the newspaper and reading the obits. They would show up on the day and time of the wake/funeral when they knew everyone would be at the service and do a quick smash and grab type burglary.

I didn't know the neighbor well so I volunteered to stay behind with the children of the families involved why everyone went to the service. Right around the time the funeral was happening had a U-haul drive by their house slow and stop while one guy ran up to the house, ring the doorbell and look in the porch window. Yelled over "can I help ya?" Guy said he was looking for directions.....told him I didn't know he should check at the police station in town. Said he would and left. Found that incident interesting and down right shitty they would hit the house of a dead guy while the wife and family was out morning their loss.

·
Premium Member
4,984 Posts
We were having a surprise 40th for a buddy of mine. I went down the street to the cold de sac and asked one of the neighbors if she minded if we parked a couple of cars there. She proceeded to tell me each house where the neighbors were out of town. I had never met this woman. I'm sure she was good at knowing what was going on everywhere.... I told her it probably wasn't a good idea to tell strangers which of her neighbors were on vacation. It didn't seem to phase her.
It didn't bother her because she's the neighborhood watch. She know everybody's business and your's too when you park there. Nobody gets by her. You think you met her by accident? ;)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Yeah, someone tried to break into my friend's house while he was on vacation last year.

His daughter had posted a pic on FB of her feet with the ocean as a backdrop and commented on the vacation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.