Beech Mountain Had Drugs | Carolina Shooters Club

Beech Mountain Had Drugs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by NCFlyfisher, Aug 20, 2012.

1. NCFlyfisher

NCFlyfisher New Member

2. HellTeeOne

HellTeeOne Member

Drugs at music festivals comes as no suprise.

The JBTs making such an effort to get themselves some headlines by seizing lots of drugs doesn't come as a suprise either.

3. John Connor

John Connor Terminator terminator Club Subscribed

Who really cares about drugs? Waste of tax dollars...

4. WNC Seabee

WNC Seabee Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I don't do drugs. Most potent thing I've ever done was smoke a little weed back in the high school days. But to my way of thinking, what business is it of ANYBODY's what drugs I do or don't take SO LONG AS I'm not harming anyone else? Growing, buying, selling drugs should not be illegal; robbing, driving stoned, fake prescriptions, those ought to be crimes.

5. John Connor

SeaBee for Mayor!

6. ncgrl84

ncgrl84 Registered Member

Nothing good ever comes of drugs. Pot is one thing... but it's almost inevitable that more hardcore drugs will cause you to harm someone else directly or indirectly. I'm just not really sure how you or anyone can think drugs can be harmless. They spread disease, cause addiction/overdose, they change people and make act in ways or do things they otherwise wouldn't do (steal, lie, become violent or manipulative, endanger others lives). If you haven't been keeping up with the news, I'm sure there are a few threads on here about the man that ate the other man's face off. Chances are, the man that was drugged up didn't even realize what he was doing. So yes, at that point, I think it's EVERYONE'S business when drugs are involved.

7. John Connor

Drugs didn't do those things, stupid people on drugs did those things. It's the same argument used against guns really.

Look at all the people killed this last months by guns...

I would smoke weed, eat shrooms and pop Valium weekly if it were legal. I would not be any more of a harm than I am when I drink, I can promise you that.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  8. RedneckFur

RedneckFur Well-Known Member

While you make some good points, I hope that you understand that alcohol ruins far more lives and destroys far more families than drugs do.

9. Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe New Member

Well.........

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/2...na-in-miami-face-chewer-system/#ixzz1z2Ne6RED

But.......

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/06/0...ble-had-recently-smoked-pot-when-he-attacked/

10. John Connor

11. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Registered Member

How is this possible.
    I thought drugs were illegal. Next thing you know the bad guys will use a gun to illegally shot an innocent citizen, then what. I use sarcasm '

12. WNC Seabee

WNC Seabee Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

It's called personal responsibility. Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose. Do drugs and become a horrible washed up no good POS with a wasted life...OK, your choice. Break into my house to fund it...now we've got problems.

It's important to note that the whole personal responsibility argument carries over to the clean up of your wasted life too....if you become a drug addicted criminal, don't expect me to pay for your rehab or excuse your actions because "you didn't know what you were doing".

13. ncgrl84

So are we arguing "stupid" people or the legalities of alcohol vs. drugs. Seabee mentioned drugs, I stated my opinion.

Funny thing about drugs, they don't care if you're "stupid" or not. Drugs AND alcohol can intoxicate intelligent sane people as well as "stupid" people and still have the SAME affect of causing them to do things they normally wouldn't do. While the choice to do drugs/alcohol is ultimately theirs, it doesn't change the affect once the drugs are ingested.

I don't know why alcohol is legal and drugs are not. I'm not arguing what should be legal and what shouldn't. I'm simply saying that they do affect people, and generally, the outcome is negative. I also understand that laws aren't going to stop people from using/distributing/making drugs... just like laws don't stop criminals.

14. John Connor

Would you support a ban of alcohol?

Tobacco?
    Caffeine?

I'm being serious and not trying to stir the pot.

15. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

The thing is, many of those things happen as a direct result of such drugs being illegal.

16. Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe New Member

I wonder why the Dutch don't have the problems countries with strict drug laws do....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

Their alcohol laws are different also.....

http://hollandtour.org/dutch-liquor-laws.html

17. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

Where do people come up with "drugs & alcohol"? They are one and the same! Alcohol is a drug!

18. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Member

Bath salts turn people into ZOMBIES!!!

Good thing they caught the dealers. We could of had a Zombie outbreak.

19. ncgrl84

No, because....

Tobacco no longer affects me directly. Since they've banned it from most public places in NC, I'm happy. If smokers choose to smoke, so be it, I just don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke.

Caffeine, in my opinion, is harmless. While it provides energy and helps people concentrate, I don't see it as being a potential threat. Overall, it doesn't affect me when others use it.

I'd be a complete hypocrite to support the ban of alcohol when I drink occasionally, myself. Depending on how fast/how much a person drinks, the proof of the alcohol, and a few other factors, the intensity of intoxication can be somewhat controlled.

I wouldn't support the ban of any of these.

20. Chris B

Chris B New Member

IMHO...

Drugs are illegal for a reason.. I personally believe that the effects of drugs are far worse than the effects of alcohol. I personally consume alcohol, and used to smoke a little pot. While I enjoyed the feeling of the effects of the pot, it ended up causing mroe grief than its worth. I don't discriminate against pot smokers, and I could care less if anyone other than myself uses drugs. What I know is I don't use them. Nor do I have any desire to. As far as alcohol consumption, I drink as I desire. I'm a responsible American adult and if I choose to drink it's no one else's business.

Music is an expression of freedom, no matter what your genre preference. Willie Nelson has been an avid pot head for years. Many artists struggle with addiction themselves. In any event, it's your choice as an individual to do what you would like. We all know what is legal and what is not. I personally attempt to refrain from being present during illegal activities.

Would I support a ban on alcohol? No. Would I support a ban on tobacco? No. Would I support a ban on caffeine? No. Do I support a ban on drugs? Well, that doesn't matter considering we know they're illegal...

I personally wouldn't support a movement to legalize any drugs. Simplybecause, I don't like them. If a vote can be obtained without my input, so be it.

Compare this to our current president. Say you don't like him. If someone else asks you to vote for him because it's to their benefit to keep him in office, will you? Doubtful. You have your own opinions and stand by them. At the same time, if a deciding vote can be obtained without your input, so be it..

I know, I rambled and got off topic. I'm at work, excuse my lack of dedication and attention. Just some thoughts from me...

And all in all, that's worth $0.02...

21. ncgrl84

They are not one and the same. While alcohol can be considered a drug, all drugs cannot be considered alcohol. The law divides drugs and alcohol; it lists them separately.

22. Chris B

Chris B New Member

True dat....

23. Dcgallim

Dcgallim Hall of Shame

So you get rid of the law then all the sudden they are the same. In a truly scientific argument they are mind altering substances. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean someone else shouldn't be allowed to. This is the same mentality used by antis to assault the 2nd.

24. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Sadly if you look at the reasoning for banning many drugs, racism is usually a factor... For heroin, the bans were first enacted because of fears of white women getting suckered into the Chinese opium dens in San Francisco. Pot was for very similar reasons regarding the Hashish dens in NYC. For cocaine, the initial bans happened because of the fears of Negro dock workers getting aggressive and harming whites in the North East.

On the other hand, MDMA (ecstasy) was banned without any scientific evaluation as to its effects by the government or leading scientists and was done in a response to the early rave scene. Almost all of the studies as to its benefits or detriments have been done after the ban making it very difficult to conduct valid research.

About the only drugs that have, in my eyes, legitimate reasons for their being banned are things like PCP and other hard core psychotropics that have a history of producing violent psychotic effects, thankfully those are very rare these days, probably because they are so inherently dangerous... There are a few that do this although other psychotropics like LSD and Mushrooms do not have such violent tendencies associated with them.

Finally, pot and meth are in my eyes a very good indicator of what would happen if they tried to have a total ban on guns... Pot can be grown in a ditch, Meth can be made with soda bottles in a car trunk... Likewise, guns can be made with rudimentary tools by just about anyone. To believe that you can successfully ban something that is in demand is foolish, a waste of money and deadly for all involved as we can see daily in the so called "War on drugs".

Even more difficult drugs to manufacture like Cocaine which requires a field and processing facilities along with moderate chemistry knowledge or LSD which basically requires advance chemistry knowledge and access to a college level chem lab for at least 3 days, are still easily found if you know where to look... To think that banning something like a rifle that requires far less technical know how would work is delusional. This is especially so in an era where parts can be "printed" on a $1000 3D printer in your home.

25. Dcgallim

Dcgallim Hall of Shame

[​IMG]

26. Dcgallim

Dcgallim Hall of Shame

Double post

27. ncgrl84

At no point did I say anything about what should and shouldn't be allowed. I simply stated that nothing good could come from drug use.

28. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

Alcohol is a drug! Some people may rationalize it's use by saying it is not a drug, but it is a drug and it still makes one that drinks a drug user. Just because it is legal doesn't make it any less a drug than illegal drugs.

29. ncgrl84

You know, come to think of it, I've never questioned why drugs are illegal... I just always assumed it was because they were bad. I attempted to research your claims and all I could find was the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act on Wikipedia. It contains a few quotes from old news articles stating their concerns of black men using cocaine and raping white women.

"At the beginning of the 20th century, cocaine began to be linked to crime. In 1900, the Journal of the American Medical Association published an editorial stating, "Negroes in the South are reported as being addicted to a new form of vice – that of 'cocaine sniffing' or the 'coke habit.'" Some newspapers later claimed cocaine use caused blacks to rape white women and was improving their pistol marksmanship. Chinese immigrants were blamed for importing the opium-smoking habit to the U.S. The 1903 blue-ribbon citizens' panel, the Committee on the Acquirement of the Drug Habit concluded, "If the Chinaman cannot get along without his dope we can get along without him."" -Wikipedia

"Wright further stated that "cocaine is often the direct incentive to the crime of rape by the Negroes of the South and other sections of the country," even though there was no evidence to support this claim.[citation needed] Wright also stated that "one of the most unfortunate phases of smoking opium in this country is the large number of women who have become involved and were living as common-law wives or cohabitating with Chinese in the Chinatowns of our various cities"." -Wikipedia

The drafters played on fears of “drug-crazed, sex-mad negroes” and made references to Negroes under the influence of drugs murdering whites, degenerate Mexicans smoking marijuana, and “Chinamen” seducing white women with drugs.[11][12] Dr. Hamilton Wright, testified at a hearing for the Harrison Act. Wright alleged that drugs made blacks uncontrollable, gave them superhuman powers and caused them to rebel against white authority. Dr. Christopher Koch of the State Pharmacy Board of Pennsylvania testified that "Most of the attacks upon the white women of the South are the direct result of a cocaine-crazed Negro brain".[2]

"Before the Act was passed, on February 8, 1914 The New York Times published an article entitled "Negro Cocaine 'Fiends' Are New Southern Menace:Murder and Insanity Increasing Among Lower-Class Blacks" by Edward Huntington Williams which reported that Southern sheriffs had increased the caliber of their weapons from .32 to .38 to bring down Negroes under the effect of cocaine." -Wikipedia

I also think the addictive qualities of these drugs played a major part in the laws as well...

"By 1914, the problem had grown to the point where an estimated one U.S. citizen in 400 (0.25%) was addicted to some form of opium. The opium addicts were mostly women who were prescribed and dispensed legal opiates by physicians and pharmacist for ”female problems,” probably mostly pain at menstruation, or white men and Chinese at the Opium dens. Between two-thirds and three-quarters of these addicts were women.[6] By 1914, forty-six states had regulations on cocaine and twenty-nine states had laws against opium, morphine, and heroin." -Wikipedia

It seems I've learned something new... I would have never thought race had such an influence on drug laws. I know racism still exists, but growing up in a generation that is much more accepting and tolerant of things, I tend to forget the impact it once had on society as a whole. Nonetheless, it's an interesting bit of history.

30. RedneckFur

RedneckFur Well-Known Member

Tens of thousands of abused children, battered spouses, and people injured or killed by drunk drivers would disagree with you. I've yet to hear about rashes of people killed by pot smoking drivers, or seen a crying wife telling the tale of how her husband smoked a joint and then beat her senseless. Most of the "problems" with soft drugs are the result of being caught with them in your possession, and not the result of use.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Not necessarily their own facts, however.