Best gun for ankle carry? | Carolina Shooters Club

Best gun for ankle carry?

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by jbuchanan, Jan 31, 2013.

1. jbuchanan

jbuchanan Registered Member

Looking to get my cc and I am doing research on what to buy. I wear dress shirts(tucked in) for work, so my options are a pocket carry or ankle. I am leaning toward ankle just because I am thinking it would enable me to carry a little larger gun that might be a little more enjoyable to shoot as well. I am open to all suggestions. I have been looking at the LCR and the Kahr CM9 as possibilities, but as is obvious, I am a total newbie here. I would like to keep the initial purchase around $500. Thanks for the help.

2. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I think you will be suprised at how impractical ankle carry can be.

I carry a Bersa .380 CC in my front pocket and it is virtually unnoticeable by me or anyone. Also, they make IWB holsters that you can easily tuck a shirt in with no problem.

The best thing to do is visit a few people and try out different weapons first.

Ankle carry, in my opinion, is the least practical as if you need to pull your pistol it being in you ankle is the furthest place from your shooting hand possible. This equates to extra time to present. Also, if you bend over to grab it you are vulnerable and if you lift your leg you are off balance.

Invest in a good pocket holster or a quality IWB and you will be much happier and far more prepared to defend yourself.

3. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

Look into tuckable IWB holsters. AlexAP makes a good one but the clips are still visible.
    When I wear dress shirts I also wear a Kel-tec 9mm in a Galco horsehide pocket holster at 1:00. The horsehide is rough enough to stay put with no clips, the gun is small enough to be both comfortable and invisible, and I can get to it by undoing a single button. Also, since I'm using a pocket holster I can easily move it to a jacket or pants pocket if I choose.

4. Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I often have to wear dress shirts tucked in and have found it difficult to conceal a larger gun on my IWB holster. I have a Hellcat 380 (similar to LCP or 3PAT) that I sometimes carry on my ankle, though consistent with the above comments, It isn't the best place for it. Lately, I just put it in a pocket holster in my front pocket. Nobody can see it and it is nearby when you need it.

5. ForumSurfer

ForumSurfer Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur . Club Subscribed

The only time I've ever felt the weight of a gun after a day of carry is with ankle carry. I workout 4x a week and ankle carry sucked. If you've got arthritis in your lower extremities, you may want to consider tuck able IWB or pocket. I'd rather tuck my AR in my pants than ankle carry. It wasn't that bad, but it was noticeable and I didn't like it.

But if I just had to...I can guarantee you it would be a Ruger LC9 or an LCR. Maybe an airweight S&W. Something lightweight for sure.

Or you could pull off full size if you pretend to be Scottish and start wearing a kilt:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359672089.938081.jpg

6. B00GER

Dang FS...you got nice legs! Hubbahubba!

To answer about what guns to look into now that we have established that ankle carry is pretty low on the totem pole.

Bersa .380 Thunder CC: I've found this to be more pleasant to shoot than the Ruger LCP. It is bigger but still easy to conceal inside a pocket. $300

Ruger LCP: very compact, but punishing to shoot. Recoil generally isn't a factor, but one must practice, and I pleasant practice sucks. $300-350

Diamondback .380: same as Ruger LCP...prices about the same

Ruger LCR/ Smith & Wesson 642: these provide up to a nice .357 punch in a small package, but are limited in capacity. Also, the LCR is so ugly that it merely being shown may scare off small children and bad guys.

Glock 26/19: these are a bit too big (in my opinion) for pocket carry, but with a good IWB holster a G19 disappears easily. Provides 15+1 firepower, and is large enough to be a pleasure to shoot..

Comfort. Power. Ease of concealment.

Pick 2.

7. cloud

cloud Not Subscribed

I agree.I have a kahr 380 and it fits so nice in the front pocket. I also have a kahr cm9 for me it is a little to big for front pocket carry .But I know some other people have no problem with the cm9 in their pocket or on their ankle.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Ultralight j frame in an Alessi ankle rig. Perfect for road trips and when strong side is not an option.

9. cranbiz

cranbiz Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

There was a gun in that picture

10. jjwestbrook

jjwestbrook Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I prefer not to , but when I do ankle carry its a ruger LCR in 38 . doesn't bother me at all . just prefer a quicker draw when available.

11. ForumSurfer

ForumSurfer Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur . Club Subscribed

I just love the holster reviews on her YouTube channel lol. Clearly a woman who isn't above doing some squats at the gym :)

Maybe it's my knee that made it uncomfortable. I mangled it up in a motorcycle wreck years ago. Suzuki vs Caddy...guess who won.

12. Phantom

Phantom Member

I have carried .380 caliber pistols on my ankle, Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, and now a Kahr P380. All were reasonably comfortable. I know a lot of people that use Kahr PM9 or CM9 and S&W J-Frame revolvers for the purpose. I once sold a Kahr K40 to a cop in Tennessee for the same use, but he was NFL lineman huge, so it worked for him. It really comes doen to personal choice.

13. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

There's a P3AT on my hip in this pic. I use a belt clip when other issue carry methods aren't available

[​IMG]

Sweater Vest are also very helpful and stylish this time of year ;)

14. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Member

If you are going to ankle carry, IMO, you're going to need a SMALL pistol (Shield, Kahr 380/CM9, Nano, LCP, Bodyguard 380, etc.).

If I were you (and actually, I did this early on in my CCW days), I would get a cheap ankle holster (one that has a support strap that will go around your upper calf), and try it out.

And then, if I were you, I would abandon it, realizing that carrying a really small pistol with a tucked in shirt isn't impractical at all. Smart Carry makes a holster that allows you to carry in your pants, but outside your tucked in shirt. That makes it really easy to conceal, and really easy to draw. A slim/good kydex holster with good j-hook clips can also conceal well with a tucked in shirt (like I do sometimes at church with my PPS). Finally, if it's small enough, you can just stick it in your pocket with a Desantis pocket holster, and it'll be easy to conceal.

I think all of these options are ultimately better than an ankle holster if you're going to take self-defense seriously when seconds count.

15. jbuchanan

Thanks for all of the replies and pics. Glad I asked the question before making a purchase as it looks like ankle carry is not the way to go. For those who carry inside the waistband over a shirt, what is your gun of choice?

16. tilefish

tilefish Dog Defender Club Subscribed

That is one nice looking Scottish man!

17. B00GER

Now you've really kicked a hornets nest! You will get as many suggestions as members!

Rule #1. Get a good belt. Cheap Walmart or basic dress belts will not be comfortable. I suggest either a Fatboy belt or an MTR belt. They are worth their weight in gold.

Rule #2. Don't skimp on a holster. With whatever you pick, don't cheap out on the holster. It makes no sense to buy a nice carry gun, and then buy the cheapest IWB you can. Chiefjason, Alexap, and Rrholmes are members here that all make excellent holsters. Rrholmes is the Kydex King...Chief seems to specialize in belt slides and leather, and Alexap makes a mean crossbreed super tuck style holster. Again, buy once, cry once.

Rule #3. Carry what >you< feel comfortable with, are confidant with, and will practice with. For some here that is a little Ruger LCP...for others it's a .44 Magnum revolver loaded with hellfire. Shoot as many pistols as you can. Build your carry gear around what pistol you feel good about.

With a good belt and a well made holster you can carry anything.

Personally, my current IWB choice is a plain old Glock 19. It conceals well, had a good capacity,can use multiple capacity mags, is accurate, comfortable to shoot, reliable, and easy to maintain. I can field strip it, clean it out, and reassemble it faster than most modern songs get annoying.

Concealed carry is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting. Keep that forever in mind.

18. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Member

I have 4 options I am content with. Which one I use depends on the weather, dress, etc.

I have a Smart Carry holster which is described as "deep carry." You wear those over your junk. (Don't worry!) It's perfect for CCW in the summer with shorts, and when you have to tuck in a shirt. It actually keeps your firearm outside your shirt and easy to draw. (Though like any front carry, it's not easy to draw while seated.)

Second, I have a Crossbreed holster. They make awesome holsters. You can find similar options from Alexap here at CSC as well. If you get "j hooks" for your holster clips or Velcro, it will be more easily concealed. Crossbred also makes nice belts.

I also have a sweet custom leather holster for CCW made by Eric Hopp. So sweet he's making me an even nicer one for my new 1911.

Then there are pocket holsters or little clips that can often work.

I would still get an ankle holster and try it out, if I were you. You can find decent ones for cheap. My wife's dad actually loves ankle carry, and doesn't care how right I am that there are better options. That's the beauty of the need to do what feels best to you, of course, while still based on reasonable knowledge.

B00GER has written a bunch of great stuff about belts, etc. If I had to wear business wear much of the week, I would probably want at least two good options for CCW: like a Shield and a LCP. One is small, the other is tiny. Many will say that a double-stacked 9 is easy to conceal, but I never thought so. I'm a BIG advocate for a single stack 9 for CCW in somewhat normal-sized clothes. Then a 380 when you just can't carry a 9 or 40. If you're worried about lack of ammo capacity, carry an extra mag with you. (Smart Carry holsters already have a pocket for an extra mag, or cash, or whatever.)

I used to have a double-stacked XDm compact 9, but it's thickness made it hard to conceal, so it would stay at home, and then my love for it waned because I entrusted my CCW to a Walther PPS. So I sold the XDm.

Wish I still had my tiny S&W Bodyguard though.

19. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

If you insist on ankle carry, get a good holster to begin with. And a light weapon. Ankle carry is not as glamorous and comfortable as you think.

Like has been said, if you waistband carry, get a good gun belt. Don't discount pocket carry, it is very good with the right weapon.

20. redhouse

redhouse Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Funny, that's a peculiar pattern of plaid he's wearing??

21. ilivas

ilivas Vendor Vendor

I carry a kahr pm9 in the front pocket

22. jbuchanan

My brother in law has a LCP, so I am going to check it out and see how I like it. At least with that size gun it can be carried in the pocket and I could try it out on the ankle as well to see if that is an option. One thing about the IWB carry is that I spend a large amount of time behind a desk and 2-3 hours a day in a car and I would prefer a carry method that doesn't require me taking my gun in and out of the holster for comfort/access.

23. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

Another consideration: If at first you have only 1 gun be sure to choose something you can have with you always. Later on you'll get more but having the gun on you at all times is most important. In my estimation the considerations for concealed carry are, in order of importance:

1- Proximity (carry your gun on your person)
    2- Reliability (your gun) and Capability (you) are equally important
    3- Conceal-ability
    4- Capacity
    and a distant last place...
    5- Caliber, cost, cosmetics, etc etc

Others will differ but that's how I see it as a pasty faced office worker.

24. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Hall of Shame

If I was going to ankle carry it would be a Ruger LCP. I hate that little gun but it would be perfect for ankle carry.

25. ilivas

ilivas Vendor Vendor

My first carry gun was an LCP which I pocket carried. It was great and I still own it. I started with it and slowly moved up to a larger gun which is why I now carry a kahr pm9 for everyday use. The LCP was a great gun for me to get used to carrying. It disappeared in a pocket. I still use the LCP for gym shorts or something that needs a very small gun. Shooting the LCP isn't very fun though, but its not meant to be fun.

26. Ruger1022Gal

Ruger1022Gal Registered Member

I ankle carry; as well as pocket carry. (Not at the same time.) My preference is to pocket carry.

27. GrnRanger

GrnRanger New Member

I have recently tried my P32 in an ankle holster, it's not as comfortable as I thought it was going to be. It's also about as light of a semi auto as you can find. I much prefer my 9c IWB when my wardrobe allows it. ...which reminds me. I talked to a guy at a raleigh gun show not long ago that was planning to carry a XD 45 Compact in a cheap elastic ankle holster. I had to bite my tongue.

28. BoppaBear

BoppaBear Member

I've never carried on my ankle or in my pocket, so all I can add to that part of the conversation is "why". Ankle just seems too cumbersome and difficult to access. If it were for a BUG, then that's a different story. Can't see myself carrying my primary that way. As for pocket carry, I already have enough stuff in my pockets, and would likely be dead by the time I drew.

I have been an IWB at 4-430 for a very long time, and my holster of choice (after many trials and errors) has been a CompTac MTAC. I still love and use this method and position, but felt I needed another option for carrying in certain situations, i.e. another position, but still strong side. I decided to give AIWB a try, and really like it...once I got past the potential castration and accelerated bleed out worries. I may be using this as my primary position of carry for a while.

OP, in my opinion AIWB (appendix carry) is not for people new to CCW. While no ND is good, a ND when carrying AIWB can rid you of the frank and the beans, as well as potentially hit the femoral artery/pelvic region, causing rapid blood loss (which is why many instructors teach students to shoot for it). Many also don't like the fact that when they sit, the barrel of your gun is basically "sweeping" you.

29. ChadWard

ChadWard Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

For a while I carried a Colt Mustang .380 in an Alessi ankle holster. While the gun was fairly light and the holster had been recommended to me by several experienced shooters who used an ankle holster as a backup, I couldn't get used to it. Too thick, too heavy. I felt like I had to tighten the holster so much to keep it from slipping that I cut off circulation to my left foot. I ended up selling both the superbly tricked out Mustang (much to my regret) and the ankle holster to a guy who did executive protection. I had NO regrets about getting rid of the ~$150 ankle holster.

30. Cocked & Locked

Cocked & Locked Hunter of Deer...Few More Days Club Subscribed

I've got an elcheapo ankle holster and love it. Had it for years. It has a strap that fits around my leg over the top of my calf and another that goes around the leg lower down.

I adjust it so the muzzle of the gun rides about 5-6" above the top of my ankle...inside of left lower leg...reach it with either hand.

I carry it often with a Kel Tec PF9 or a S&W 642. It is so comfortable I forget it there.

Not perfect for all situations but works well for BUG and for primary in some situations.