Best Precision Build? | Carolina Shooters Club

Best Precision Build?

Discussion in 'The Snipers Nest' started by Skijumpr199, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Skijumpr199

Skijumpr199 Law Enforcement

Alright guys, I need some help. I recently got hired by the sheriff's office in a bordering county. I have to wait at least a year or two before I can try to get on with their sniper team, but its something I'd really like to be apart of. So, once I save up some money, I'm going to build a precision rifle from the ground up and start practicing on my days off. I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers on brand names to avoid or go for, tips on a good scope and caliber (I'm thinking .308, or .338) and if you know of anywhere in the state that has a decent amount of distance for me to shoot. Thanks.

2. 47D

47D All I had today is six gummy bears & some scotch Club Subscribed

Do you have a budget in mind or do you want to hear people's opinions of the best "money is no object" precision rifle and optic?

3. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Dead and Remembering Lifetime Member

I would find out what they use and duplicate it.

Zbizzle911 likes this.
  4. sdiver2006

sdiver2006 Well-Known Member

260 remington
    Imho

5. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Dead and Remembering Lifetime Member

308 Winchester is fine, .243, 6.5, 6mm ect are barrel burners, you can get 5k rounds out of a 308, 243 1500, 6.5 Creedmoor 2000ish

Your department would likely use NATO. Just find out what they use and duplicate it so you can practice with what you will qualify with.

6. Djstorm100

Djstorm100 Carolina Shooters Club Club Subscribed

So you want to shoot for the SRT as a sniper/sharpshooter/etc?

If so get a 308 and shoot as much as you can, learn it. Shoot what you will be using with the department.

7. chuckman

chuckman Well-Known Member

Do some ballistics research first. Some calibers are better than others for certain applications like penetrating glass, etc. You won't need the range like a sniper or designated marksman, so aside from special considerations any caliber would be fine.

8. ggmanning

ggmanning Registered Member

It'll be predominantly .308 for any PD. Don't worry about some custom build. A real custom from the ground is going to set you back $4000++. Get yourself an off the shelf .308 in Remington 700 since that will surely be the platform you'll be shooting. Get a tactical, P, LTR, etc with 16-22" barrel and take some classes. You'll be far better served by learning to shoot vs spending a wad on a precision build from the ground up. PD engagements and training are short range in comparison to most PSR style shooting. A gun that is MOA is more than sufficient for you to build your skill set. Spend your money on ammunition and instruction........a precision from the ground up is a total waste of money for you at this stage. The fit, finish custom touches and .25MOA you pay for in an all out custom are unnecessary things in your goal. Best of luck to you and I hope you make it all happen! If you have money to blow and want a custom then go for it....in that case I like Short Action Customs, American Precision Arms, and GAP.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Gun Dude, 5string, mpw003 and 2 others like this.
  9. MikeDawg46L

MikeDawg46L Well-Known Member

Don't forget to pick up a few of these so you'll be adequately prepared:

[​IMG]

LOL...but not really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 5string

5string Active Member

Hope you have some deep pockets if you plan on a state of the art, custom built precision rifle.
    I suggest checking out a Savage Long Range Precision, and putting some money in loading equipment and components.
    Learn how to drive it, and you may find that's all you need.

11. Punisher29073

Punisher29073 Registered Member

I would suggest Dave Tooley in Gastonia or Accurate Ordinance in GA. I would thing a 308PSS would do what you want to do and more though. Good Luck.

Ryan

jerz_subbie likes this.
  12. billyh

billyh Semper Ebrius Club Subscribed

Like previously stated get an off the shelf .308 and a bunch of 175gr FGMM. For $1k you can get a bunch of rifle. @Madmardigan has a nice remington 700 for a great price and I've got a Savage McMillian for around the same price. Both would be perfect for trainers. Also take a couple rifle/optics courses. @J.Boyette teaches a great set of percision classes.

Madmardigan likes this.
  13. J.Boyette

J.Boyette Teacher of the Craft Lifetime Member

CZ452 22lr
    Boyd's Tac-Cool stock
    MS1 sling
    Harris bi-pod
    Rifle basic trigger
    Dip 20moa base
    Low rings
    Rear bag
    Eley ammunition
    Leopold mk4 4-16x mildot

That's what I would buy.

John

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Madmardigan likes this.
  14. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Registered Member

If you want a factory rifle get a Tikka; it has the best combination of accuracy, smooth action, and price; worst case is you may want to change the stock. I like Savages but unless you want to tweak it a bit (which you can do yourself) they are usually a bit rough. Dont't own a Remington because the ones I have shot are much rougher cocking out of the box than a Savage, and you cannot easily correct the extraction timing issues yourself. If you want to spend a bit more buy a custom action like a Stiller, CBI pre-chambered barrel, and stock of your choice and put it together yourself. Shoots as good as a custom for much, much lower cost. If you don't load, great factory ammo in either 308 or 6.5 Creedmore which is ballistically superior if you are want to stretch out the range >750yd.

15. J.Boyette

J.Boyette Teacher of the Craft Lifetime Member

I posted what I would buy if I was you.

I assume you want something to train on, if so the 22lr is your best bet.

If you have a dream of building your own and using it as a duty rifle, you better build 2 of them and train in parallel with equal focus.

If you pop a perp the rifle will be confiscated longer then your SBI investigation. If you have a backup you can get back to work. The second rifle also helps if one goes down for what ever reason.

It's a thought

16. skylightguy

skylightguy Law Enforcement Club Subscribed

I rarely post and mostly lurk but thought I would chime in on this one.

Boyette made a great suggestion for training and learning.

Depending on the SO you will probably be issued a rifle anyway if you make the team. As you probably know, most agencies use some type of Remington 700 "pss,ltr, etc." Most of them will have stock triggers and Leopold bases and rings. You will probably be required to shoot and qualify with Federal Gold Medal Match in 168gr. and equipped with a Harris bipod.

Taking all that into consideration, I would do a lot of practice shooting prone at 1" pasties at 100. You should be able to keep 5 shots in the pasty including your cold bore. Cold bore is everything to a police sniper. Record everything.
    You will probably have to go a police sniper school at it will probably be held at Butner.

My suggestion if you are going to build a rifle, is to have someone like Cecil at Arrow Dynamics build it for you. He builds some outstanding rifles that are absolute tack drivers. I only use Nightforce or S&B anymore but the Vortex Razor HD's and Leopold Mark 6 and 8 series are great as well.
    Stick with .308, it is rare to see any other caliber other than .223 for a police sniper. Distance shooting is great but make sure you are good to go at 100 yards and in using various positions before trying to do the distance game.

Not that this makes any difference but I have competed against some of the best police and military snipers in the country. Currently, me and my sniper partner are defending Champions of the Gastonia Sniper Conference and Guilford Sniper challenge. Not only in team but individual winners as well. I only added this info so you know where it's coming from.

Best of luck to you !
    RH

J.Boyette likes this.