Best Primer Pocket Reamers | Carolina Shooters Club

Best Primer Pocket Reamers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SourwoodTom, Oct 18, 2021.

1. SourwoodTom

SourwoodTom Registered Member

Question:

Which, in particular large, brand of reamers do you guys use?

I ran across some '65 Lake City .308 a while back. After shooting about 60 rounds, decided to reload some 150gr match bullets that have been collecting dust on the shelf for years.

Reamed the primer pockets with my Hornady reamer. Took a good bit of "meat" out of the pocket, so it seemed. When I went to prime the cases, about every one out of three gave me trouble. I've probably reamed 1000 or so cases with that reamer - it is carbon steel, it should do 10 times that before notably wearing. Has a lifetime warranty, I believe.

Thinking maybe the reamer wasn't any good, even with the low use, I ordered another. This time Lyman. When it arrived, it is a thousandth smaller than the Hornady.

I've tried both Wolf and Federal primers. Set one of the Federal primers off trying to get the mangled primer and case out of the shell holder. Don't think it is the primers. Have successfully reamed 1000's of LC .223 brass without problems. Seems the crimped large primer pockets are giving me trouble. Wouldn't have worried about it a few years back, but hate to waste primers these days.

Any comments/suggestions? What brand do y'all use?

2. SeabeeChief

SeabeeChief Registered Member

I dont ream, i swage with a mighty armory pocket swager. Reaming removes brass from the case head