Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both in 5.5" barrel. Buck Mark costs a little more (~$325 vs. ~$280-300, from what I'm seeing online), but generally in same price range.

I like that the Buck Mark doesn't have a mag disconnect, but definitely not a deal breaker for range use. Seems like takedown, cleaning and reassembly are a little easier on the Buck Mark as well.

Which do you prefer?

·
Joe thinks I'm clever
1,930 Posts
I love my Ruger, had it for 20+ years. I bought a Buckmark several months ago. Either will serve you well. The Buckmark will have a bit better trigger out of the box. It is also the way to go if you want to change barrels. Ruger mags are a little cheaper. There are more aftermarket parts for the Ruger.

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much does a decent trigger upgrade for the Ruger cost? I assume this is a DIY-able job?

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
I looked at both and got the BuckMark. Love it. Spent a little extra to get the fiber optic front sight (my old eyesd have a little trouble picking out a black sight against a black target these days). You do have to use allen wrenches to take down the Buck Mark, but otherwise it is easy to do. Or, just get a bore snake so you don't have to take the barrel off. Which ever one you wind up with will be a keeper.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I love my Mark III 22 45 ...but I swear cleaning that thing is a pain in the arse. It is an amazing shooter, very reliable, accessories / parts galore and cheap. But...if you like the Buckmark trigger better, BUY IT. It will serve you well , be easier to take-down and maintain .

If you are looking at a Ruger and immediately want a trigger job...buy the Buckmark. Just my opinion.

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
I have not shot a Buckmark but I do own a Ruger MkIII. I'm impressed with the accuracy and workmanship but IMO it has a serious design flaw.

There is enough room in the breech for two cartridges to get jammed in there when you have a FTE, and they do, frequently. I usually have to drop the mag to clear it and occasionally have to get out the multi-tool and pry out the jammed casing and buggered up live round. It happens even with a squeeky clean gun and multiple brands of ammo.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
I love my MKIII. I like the trigger. I have hex set crews tapped into the trigger as stops and I removed the mag safety and LCI. It's easy to do.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I can attest to the fact that the MKIII is a bitch to break down. On that basis alone I would suggest you go with the Buckmark. That and you like the trigger better.

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
Both in 5.5" barrel. Buck Mark costs a little more (~$325 vs. ~$280-300, from what I'm seeing online), but generally in same price range.

I like that the Buck Mark doesn't have a mag disconnect, but definitely not a deal breaker for range use. Seems like takedown, cleaning and reassembly are a little easier on the Buck Mark as well.

Which do you prefer?
I've shot both extensively.

Honestly, I'd buy whichever I could get cheaper when you compare similarly equipped models.

Of course, there's no denying that the Ruger is king when it comes to aftermarket accessories if that's your thing. That's not my thing, I just need lots and lots of ammo.

You really won't be displeased with either IMHO.

I ended up with a Buckmark. At the time, the buckmark was cheaper than a similarly priced Ruger with the same features (recessed crown, adjustable target sights). My package also came with three magazines. It didn't come with a top rail but I don't like using optics.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property Gun accessory

1000's of rounds and I'm still a happy camper with my camper.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I prefer the Buckmark, based on looks alone. Either pistol will make you happy at the range. I've shot plenty of Mark III's but don't own one. As said above, I bought a Ruger based on price, and got a LNIB Mk.II for $240, w/2 mags.
I could shoot the Buckmark all day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.