Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. I have come to the conclusion that the scope that came with my 30.06 mossberg is junk lol. Time for a new one. My question to you guys is what is a good budget scope. I only have around $100 to spend and that is even pushing it. I know that there are few if any decent scopes for that price. I do not need top of the line just be able to consistently group in the killzone of a deer lol. The max I will be shooting this rifle is 180 yards. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Hey, guys. I have come to the conclusion that the scope that came with my 30.06 mossberg is junk lol. Time for a new one. My question to you guys is what is a good budget scope. I only have around $100 to spend and that is even pushing it. I know that there are few if any decent scopes for that price. I do not need top of the line just be able to consistently group in the killzone of a deer lol. The max I will be shooting this rifle is 180 yards. Thanks guys.
Cheapest scope I would recommend is the Nikon Pro-staff.

For a little More the Vortex Vipers are Nice, has the best warranty in the business. This is what I use on my hunting rifles. I have 3 Vipers and one Diamondback (which is the budget Vortex scope), and eye relief is not as good as the viper, but it does have good glass for the money.

The Leupold vx-1 3x9x40 will be 169.99 at Bass Pro Shop for the black Friday Sale. Regular 229
Also Red-field is now made by Leupold, so they will have a good warranty. They are comparable to the Budget Leupold Rifleman.

You will probably need to spend a little over 100 to be truly satisfied with your hunting optic.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Hey, guys. I have come to the conclusion that the scope that came with my 30.06 mossberg is junk lol...I only have around $100 to spend and that is even pushing it. I know that there are few if any decent scopes for that price.
I think you will find that most scopes that fit into this budget will not be much of an improvement over the scope that came with your rifle. I agree with Silver Bullet about looking at the Redfields that start around $160. Leupold and Nikon also have some good value scopes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Chrck midwayusa.com they put scopes on sale pretty regularly.They also have "blem" scopes that i have bought that i couldnt find anything wrong with.Personally for around that price range i doubt you can beat the nikon prostaff.I have one of those on my 06 and a leupold rifleman on my 30-30 and i like the prostaff better.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
scopes in the $0-100 price range
are Chinese. brand doesn't matter.
same factory.
100-150 might matter, but not so
you could tell much difference.

bottom line: if 100 is 'pushing it': don't buy any scope.
save your $100, then save another $100.
you get the picture.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
I just got a BSA 6 x 24 for about $90.00 and it shoots very well and has screw on metal caps, paralax correction and exposed turets that I like. Shoots very good, has good eye relief. This is the model:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...earch&InitialSearch=yes&N=0&O=&Ntt=Pt624x44md

Looks like the price went back up. This is not a crap scope....

Scott
No offense but that is a horrible hunting scope. Looking downrange over 200 yards at a higher powers is less than ideal and not as clear compared to other scopes. I seen a friend try to hunt with a BSA, and one good bump in the woods and he always needed to re-zero. 6-24x44 is way to much scope for hunting in the Carolinas. You need to be able to take your zoom down to 2x-4x at least, so you can find your target quickly if needed. Sounds like the op will be doing close range hunting, as no shots more than 180 yards. A 3x9x40 would fit perfect. Heck my preferred scope is a 2x7x32. 4-12x is the absolute most ever needed for a big game hunting rifle.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seriously thought about putting some type of Iron sights on it so I wont have to worry about zeroing a scope but I have no idea how i would go about that or how much it would cost.

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Agreed on the power. But I have a BSA scope and I've been very pleased with it so far. I always thought they were junk. But for the application (.22LR calibre, 150 yards and in), it has done very well. So much so that I bought a second one. That said, I haven't tried it as far as 200 yards. I'll try the second one (on a different .22) next time I'm at the range and try it out to 200 yards, once I get it zeroed.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Agreed on the power. But I have a BSA scope and I've been very pleased with it so far. I always thought they were junk. But for the application (.22LR calibre, 150 yards and in), it has done very well. So much so that I bought a second one. That said, I haven't tried it as far as 200 yards. I'll try the second one (on a different .22) next time I'm at the range and try it out to 200 yards, once I get it zeroed.
.22lr has no recoil. The op is putting a scope on a 30-06, so it needs to hold up under most circumstances for that once in a lifetime shot. :D

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
I have seriously thought about putting some type of Iron sights on it so I wont have to worry about zeroing a scope but I have no idea how i would go about that or how much it would cost.
With a good scope and a good set of rings, you will not need to re-zero much unless you change out ammo. I zero'd my 270 with a vortex viper with leupold prw rings 3 years ago. Checked it this year, and it's still zero'd. I shoot it once a month at least during hunting season just to make sure, but I have never lost zero, and I have banged my rifle around in thick brush. I put a set of talley rings and another vortex on my brush gun, no problems with it this year.

If you buy a good quality optic and mounting system you will not have problems holding zero. Your optic is as import as your firearm, and you really shouldn't try to short change your self. It will just cost more in the end.

As far as installing iron sights, you might want to ask that in the gunsmithing section as some who frequent that section might could answer that for you.

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
All of these are well regarded scopes:

$100 to $200:
Nikon Prostaff $150
Redfield Revolution $160
Bushnell Elite 3200 $200
Burris FullField II $200
Vortex Viper $200

If you decide to save up some pennies before you buy, then $200-$300:
Nikon Team Primos $250 (supposedly the same as the Nikon Monarch, but cheaper)
Nikon Monarch $350
Vortex Diamondback $250
Millet TRS $300
Weaver Grand Slam $300
Leupold VXII $300

The Burris seems to be recc. the most. The Nikon Team Primos would be a great deal if it really is a Monarch relabled. Or catch a used Leupold VXII (or if you are super lucky, a VXIII) on Craigslist.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
All of these are well regarded scopes:

$100 to $200:
Nikon Prostaff $150
Redfield Revolution $160
Bushnell Elite 3200 $200
Burris FullField II $200
Vortex Viper $200

If you decide to save up some pennies before you buy, then $200-$300:
Nikon Team Primos $250 (supposedly the same as the Nikon Monarch, but cheaper)
Nikon Monarch $350
Vortex Diamondback $250
Millet TRS $300
Weaver Grand Slam $300
Leupold VXII $300

The Burris seems to be recc. the most. The Nikon Team Primos would be a great deal if it really is a Monarch relabled. Or catch a used Leupold VXII (or if you are super lucky, a VXIII) on Craigslist.
That's about right. I think you got the viper and diamondback mixed up. The viper is a higher end than the diamond back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You got alot of great options that these guys listed. The only one I don't see mentioned is Simmons. I've got 3 of them. One on a 30-30, 25-06, and 270. A couple are atech series and one 44 mag series. None have lost zero in the 5 plus years I've had them. I pull them out before hunting season and 1 shot they are dead on. I believe all were around $150 range. Have one of the new Redfield's but haven't mounted it yet too.

·
Registered
598 Posts
.22lr has no recoil. The op is putting a scope on a 30-06, so it needs to hold up under most circumstances for that once in a lifetime shot. :D
I must say that I expected a shitty scope for the money (BSA) but its quite good, and shoots just fine on my. 308 M1A. Holds zero and groups like a mofo. I admit that the 3-9 x is way better for hunting, heck I don't need a scope at all under 200 yds. Just pointing out that I was impressed with the cheap scope. Way better than a bushnell that comes on most combo deals.

Now i do know a good scope, have a few nikon pro staff scopes, and they are very nice, just saying I was impressed with the bsa platinum scopes are pretty good.

·
Banned
779 Posts
You might want to check with your local gun store for used scopes, I picked up a used Prostaff for under $100. Pentax makes a decent scope also, Amazon usually has pretty good deals on them. They're made in China but not bad for the money.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.