Bullet proof plates for students | Carolina Shooters Club

Bullet proof plates for students

Discussion in 'Politics Section' started by trkr314, Nov 12, 2017.

1. trkr314

trkr314 Registered Member

so i just read an article about a school in Florida that is selling bullet proof plates for students to put in their backpacks. Kudos to that school!! They are one of the few schools in this country that actually gives a shit about their students safety. Me personally though? As me and my wife have discussed many times, our children will NEVER attend a school where there is not some form of armed security they will be removed from school before that happens because my children will NOT become a statistic. I love where they attend school now, for their safety and security i will not disclose where, but the school is a great school, it’s very small, there are no signs outside of the building and absolutely no visible indications that it is a school, it’s tucked back into a business park so it blends in nicely with surrounding buildings and there is a city police officer there every single day during all hours of schools hours and that police officer no matter where they are on the property can be anywhere on that property in less than 30 seconds. I am so very thankful that my kids school shows so much genuine concern for the safety of not only my children but all the others as well. They set the standard to how schools should keep children safe and i am able to go to work every day at peace knowing my children will be coming home at the end of the day.

2. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Sooo...bullet proof "plates" to put in their backpacks? Please, somebody with actual bullet proof vest equipment experience, feel free to enlighten me and straighten me out on a few things.

These "plates" mean squat, when you think about it. First of all, that presumes students not only have their backpacks with them, but are wearing them...and wearing them properly (as in , not slung over one shoulder).

It also presumes students will be able to afford to buy them. (Just looked...$120 each on the link I found. Which seems to imply to me that they aren't actual bullet proof "plates". Again, feel free to correct me.)

It also presumes students will actually carry them once they find out how much weight they add to their backpack, in addition to all the other crap they carry.

It also presumes these plates are actually ballistically effective for any given caliber. 'Cause plates designed for pistols mean squat for rifles.

It also presumes that the only direction that the student will be shot from is behind. I guess it means if they're shot from the front, then it'll stop the bullet from passing through and hitting another student?

Looking at a couple articles, it may not be "plate" at all...one says "ballistic panels". That could just be a layer of Kevlar or something.

While I agree that something is better than nothing, I'm wondering if this isn't more of a free-market niche someone thought of (and more power to them, by the way) and said "You know, I'll bet there's a market for this stuff for students!"

3. Jeppo

Jeppo Member

Sending juveniles to school with armor. What a world we've created for our kids.

:(

4. trkr314

You said it yourself something is better than nothing, kind of like in Iraq in 2003 when we didn’t have armored vehicles so we lined the floors of our vehicles with sand bags, needless to say from experience those sand bags don’t stop two 155 shells that are duct taped together so i guess they weren’t better than nothing? and it’s a lot better of an option and at least they are doing SOMETHING vs. 90% of the schools out there that do absolutely nothing

RetiredUSNChief likes this.
  5. trkr314

What i wanna know is what kind of world have we created where it’s ok to guard money and property with guns but not innocent children?

Slow Rider, RetiredUSNChief and Jeppo like this.
  6. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

But...but...SRO?

7. pineoak

pineoak Registered Member

too heavy for daily carry. better to teach your kids to get DOWN on the ground if gun fire starts.

8. AJoldfart

AJoldfart Registered Member

Sending juveniles to school with armor. What a world The Democrats have created for our kids.