Carolinas Wild Bunch Shootout May 22, 2021 | Carolina Shooters Club

Carolinas Wild Bunch Shootout May 22, 2021

Discussion in 'Shooting Sports & Competitions' started by Crunchy Frog, Apr 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Crunchy Frog

Crunchy Frog Registered Member

The fifth annual “Carolinas Wild Bunch Shootout” will be hosted by the Gunpowder Creek Regulators in Lenoir, NC on Saturday, May 22, 2021. Wild Bunch Action Shooting is a multigun sport under the Single Action Shooting Society but is a separate discipline than cowboy action shooting.

Ordinarily Wild Bunch is a three gun sport (1911 pistol, pump shotgun and big bore cowboy rifle) but this match will be pistol and shotgun only.

2. Crunchy Frog

Just to close the loop, this was a very good match.

Keith E. likes this.
  3. SourwoodTom

SourwoodTom Registered Member

OK, I'm a SASS member (alias Sourwood Tom), and for several years shot with the High Country Cowboys in Madison County.

Cowboy shooting is expensive - takes four guns. For most SASS Categories (I shot Wrangler) there are available copies (Uberti revolvers, Rossi Rifles, Stoeger shotguns) so it is not too expensive. I even found a NIB Chinese '97 for under $300.00 to save on my grandfather's real '97. (Has long barrel and full choke. Guys who set up the range called it a "shovel maker" because it hit the steel so hard, even with low-brass #8 shot. I refused to have it cut down.)

Friend of mine was interested in Wild Bunch, he also shot wrangler. He has 1911's, but all have beavertails, fancy triggers, good sights, etc. Yes, you can get a decent 1911 these days for $450 or $500 (Tisas, Rock Island). The real kicker, though, is the shotgun. The copies like I bought are now selling for $800, and a decent real '97 is over a grand. Even model 12's are three times what they were a dozen years ago.

I think SASS does itself a bit of a disservice be making Wild Bunch so expensive to get into. Add to that the fact that many clubs only have a couple Wild Bunch matches a year (ours was/is? only when there was a 5th Saturday in the month), and it makes it hard to attract folks to it.

4. Crunchy Frog

I agree that the lack of clubs holding Wild Bunch matches on a regular basis is a challenge to those of us who enjoy shooting WBAS and who want to grow the sport. My home club used to shoot Wild Bunch on 5th Sundays, which is about once a quarter, but we lost that date to a larger number of club members who wanted to shoot Three Gun (if you want to talk about an expensive shooting sport check that out).

As regards the pistol, many folks have the mistaken impression that Wild Bunch requires a military style 1911. In fact, shooters in the Modern category (in most matches that’s by far the majority of shooters) can use a pistol with features like adjustable sights, beaver tail grip safeties, checkered front straps, and full length guide rods. The rules do prohibit “race gun” features like compensators, bull barrels and optical sights.

Wild Bunch rules once limited shotgun choice to the 1897 pump. Because prices of shootable original Winchesters have gone up and Chinese replicas stopped coming in, the rules were changed to allow the Model 12, a rugged shotgun that can usually be found for less than a ‘97.

I hear more complaints about the requirement of a forty-plus rifle, since so many cowboy shooters use a .38/.357 rifle. In our local matches we usually allow any SASS legal rifle.

A friend in the Florida panhandle offers “Mild Bunch” matches where the firearm and caliber requirements are loosened somewhat. It’s been pretty well received. Some clubs allow shooters to use Wild Bunch firearms at cowboy action matches, either by creating a posse of WB shooters, or by creating an unofficial “Pike”category. SASS does not exactly encourage that but it’s an example of how individual match directors have flexibility.

Concerns about cost affect every multigun shooting discipline. It’s often raised in CAS by shooters who ask for an adult rimfire category, or the option to shoot, say, one revolver instead of two. In the current ammunition shortage, some local clubs have responded to this demand.

SASS has shown that it will listen to the suggestions of Wild Bunch shooters. That’s how we got the Model 12, and how we finally got away from five rounds in the 1911 magazine.

I was Match Director for the Wild Bunch mini-match at the SC State SASS Match. In order to encourage new shooters to sample Wild Bunch, I announced an “Open” category in which any center fire 1911, any SASS legal rifle, and any 12 gauge shotgun would be allowed.

SourwoodTom likes this.
  5. SourwoodTom

SourwoodTom Registered Member

Appreciate the reply. Good to know that clubs and SASS are working to make the sport more affordable.

As to 3-gun, I'd really like an M4 Benelli but think of all the used cars I've purchased in my life that cost less than that fine weapon.

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  6. Crunchy Frog

I shot a couple of local Three Gun matches using my Wild Bunch pistol and shotgun and a pretty inexpensive modern sporting rifle. One of the top shooters had an optic on his rifle that cost more than all three of my guns combined. He could shoot, though.