CCW wait? | Carolina Shooters Club

CCW wait?

Discussion in 'NC Concealed Carry' started by MCASgt_New_River, Dec 28, 2018.

1. MCASgt_New_River

MCASgt_New_River Registered Member

I just applied for my CCW and was told it would be a minimum of 30 days. Is this the norm for Onslow County?

Thanks,
    Mike

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. swardrn

swardrn Registered Member

It varies county to county some counties up to 6 months. Im in Randolph County applied feb 24th picked up April 6th

MCASgt_New_River likes this.
  3. axe1127

axe1127 Registered Member

Yes, I got mine in 2010, took me 2 mths

4. Evergreen

Evergreen Registered Member

Best bet, get a Utah CFP which is recognized by North Carolina, even for residents. I confirmed this both with my NC CHL course instructor who works as a Deputy for Cabarrus County Sheriff, as well as contacting the best source, the NC DOJ who also confirmed this information . You can easily get an out of state Utah CFP and it will arrive to you usually within 30-45 days of the application. I believe I obtained mine within a month, but it did get a Utah CFP a while ago. If I move back to North Carolina I am planning on getting a Utah CFP, since my Colorado CHL will no longer be valid; although I will have a valid Idaho CHL, which would also be valid for conceal carry in North Carolina. However, Idaho requires you to apply in person, so that is not feasible for most people. Most states in the East Coast except Florida do not issue out of state permits so you should also look into obtaining a Florida CHL. I have no clue how long it takes Florida to issue out of state CHLs though.

So, while you are waiting for your NC CHL (which takes for ever in some counties I am told), you can conceal carry with another valid out of state permit.

UPDATE:
    Oh crud, I just realized that Utah changed their rules and now require you to have a CHL from your home state. That didn't use to be the way it was. So, with respect to that, there are other states who will issue you an out of state CHL, such as Florida..

Anyhow, what I wrote here would be much better information for people (like me) who are thinking of moving or moving back to North Carolina and want to have a valid carry permit while they are living in the state and waiting for their NC CHL to arrive.

Interesting articles:
    https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License
    https://dailycaller.com/2016/06/29/9-things-to-know-before-applying-for-a-nonresident-pistol-permit/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019