Checkering a stock | Carolina Shooters Club

Checkering a stock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing | Firearm Assembly | Troubleshooting' started by Headspace, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

I found a very nice Savage Fox Model B 12 ga. shotgun this weekend at the Hky gun show. I've been looking for quite a while for this model. As clean as it was, there was something about it I couldn't put my finger on, but bought it anyway. When I got home and disassembled it to clean it, I realized that the rear stock has been replaced. The stock it has is a beautiful piece of walnut, the LOP is just right for me if I install a recoil pad, which it also didn't have. I once had one of these in 20 ga. and the Fox's come with a ventilated recoil pad.

After doing more checking, it turns out that the stock is for a Stevens 311, which I had one I traded (plus cash) for this Fox. I have ordered a replacement Fox B stock, but neither of these replacement stocks have any checkering on the handgrip like the original does. The shotgun's fore end is the nice beavertail and has a nice impressed checkering pattern (not cut). That's okay, but I'd like to have checkering done on the new stock like what was on the original, so the stock looks complete (that's what kept sticking in my mind when I first looked at the gun).

Who does checkering in the western NC area, and what kind of money is involved? I understand it is labor-intensive.

Edit: Wow, after watching a few Youtube vids, I can see the work involved. It makes me want to try it, I love intricate handwork.

Edit 2: This is all I'm wanting, to make it match the fore end:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. CriminalCamel

CriminalCamel Member

These guys can do it with a laser engraver. http://caddgraphics.com/etched_wood.htm

They can digitize a picture of the exact original pattern from FOX and duplicate it.

They have some a bunch of NFA engraving for me and do an excellent job at a fair price.

3. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

The 03a3 I picked up had a very nice checkerin on it after it was sporterized. It was beautiful but I had to chanqe it out to start the return to oriqinal condition.