Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to share my experience with a relatively new gun shop (Dec 15th is his 1 year anniversary) that I went to in Clayton. It's named Clayton Guns, and it's located right off of Bus. 70 and Sadisco Rd. White building, can't miss it. If you take the 70 bypass, I believe it's exit 319. Rob is the owner, and I'll share my experience below.

I recently placed an HK P30 on this forum as well as Armslist for trade/sale. I was primarily looking for a Glock 19 at the time and had a couple offers for used ones, but mainly just people wanting to trade straight up. Disheartened, I began heading to the LGS' in the area and got trade quotes. The ranges were from $613-$700 for my HK. Not bad considering the deal I had to acquire it. I was losing maybe $25 total for the whole thing. After handling the Glock 19 gen3, I discovered I didn't like the grip very much and placed the blame on the whole "glock grip angle" that I've read a lot about. I began searching for a different, smaller gun. A few days go by and I received an email from Armslist inquiring about the gun. The email asked me to call so I did and on the other end was Rob, the owner of Clayton Guns. He told me he had a few Glocks available and asked me to come down. I explained the situation with the angle and he invited me to his shop to look around and see if there was anything else. Always up for a good gun shop visit, I drove about 15-20 mins away from my home in Garner and entered his business. He had a couple customers in his shop so I politely waited and browsed his selection. After a short bit, he greeted me and I let him know I spoke to him on the phone. We talked a bit and he allowed me to handle a Glock 19, 22, 26, 27, and a few other pistols. I explained to him what I was feeling with the 19 and he pointed out (rather quickly) that it had nothing to do w/ the grip angle but was really more of the two row stippling pattern Glock used on the 19. He handed me the 26 again and sure enough, I didn't feel the same issue I had before! The gen3 26 has a three row pattern that is more comfortable for me. I was surprised but told him one of the reasons I was looking at the 19 was because it was the Talo edition w/ Ameriglo Night sights. He told me he could order the Talo 26 w/ the same sights and it would be here in a couple days. He asked what else I was interested in to make up the difference in the HK! Pleasantly surprised, I told him I was left handed and one of the issues I had originally w/ the Glock was that I wasn't very quick actuating the slide release with my index finger, nor the mag release. He then installed an extended slide release and mag release on his 26 for me to handle and sure enough, it made a world of difference. I told him the extended mag release cut a bit into my finger and he filed down the corners enough so that the entire gun fit like a glove. He also put +1 extensions on my 26 mags and grip adapters on the G19 magazines he gave me. All this, and he still included some cash to make up the trade difference (he gave me $700 on the HK).

Now, I'm not sure if he trades like this all the time as I found out that he's an HK guy (carries a USP .45) and loves shooting suppressed (he's a class 3 dealer). He intends to keep the gun I traded him so that might be why he valued it as he did and helped me out w/ all the extra little things. Either way, Rob is a solid guy who is very personable. While just talking, I mentioned my other gun (PPQ) and he said he hadn't had the chance to handle one. I brought mine in and he held it, remarked about the trigger, and even showed me how to take the sights off if I wanted to replace them w/ night sights (and greased up the trigger spring a bit to make the trigger even more smooth), all the while never charging me a penny. Other customers came in and he did small things like that as well.

His shop doesn't have a large array of guns to handle, I will admit that. He had a few Glocks, M&P's, Ruger's, Taurus, SCCY CPX 2 (which sold apparently because it was gone today), PF9, and of course, some HK's. He had two cases of revolvers as well, but I have no experience w/ them so I wouldn't be able to tell you what was available. His walls were lined with various long guns as well. He does trigger jobs, sighting of weapons, and obviously gun sales. If he doesn't have something, he'll check his distributor while you wait and let you know when/if he can get it and quote you the price. His price for my Glock 26 (Gen3, Talo w/Night Sights) was $525. The least expensive place I had seen it was another smaller dealer asking $540 for the Glock 19 Talo version. Fuquay Gun and Gold was asking $500 for a Gen 3 and $80 for TruGlo Night Sights (I really prefer the set up on the Talo tho).

I'd recommend Rob and Clayton Guns to anyone looking to experience personalized service from a smaller gun shop. I don't believe he's active on this forum, but I asked for permission to post my experience/recommendation on here and he was okay with it. Hope you all get a chance to check him out. Side note, a gentleman with a Glock came into his shop while I was picking up my gun today and asked Rob to take a look at why his weapon's action wasn't cycling properly when a loaded magazine was inserted. Rob took about 45 seconds with it (tested to reproduce error, drop mag, field strip, look in barrel...) and said "Yup, just what I thought. You have a bullet stuck in there." Sure enough, everyone in the shop (there was about 7-8 of us) all looked at the barrel in wonderment (It was certainly MY first time seeing that) and even snapped a few pictures. Rob told the gentleman that he could push the bullet out and did, then inspected the barrel and determined no functional damage was done and by the time I left, everything seemed okay with the man's Glock. Below is a Google Map link to his shop, his is the Green Arrow building in front of the "A" pin. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

~Mike

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.592003,-78.408569&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&ie=UTF8&z=19&iwloc=A

·
Registered
444 Posts
I live in Wilson's Mills about 5 miles or so from there. Never been in, but I need to. That little shop has a growing reputation around the community for sure. Based on this, I will be by to see him over the holidays. Its always so busy and I never catch it when its not.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have been shopping at Clayton Guns since he has opened. He has great service and reccomend him anytime. I am there atleast once a week and he will make sure you are getting the right deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.