Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Font Circle Logo Parallel

This is how my plumbing is for my kitchen sink. On the left there is just a p-trap, in the center is a center cap, and on the right there is a p trap under the garbage disposal. The dishwasher line connects to the Garbage Disposal. Two things of Drano Professional (per their directions) and no help. Still clogged. I can turn the GD on and it makes the water go from the right sink into the left sink while on and as soon as you cut if off, water refills the right sink. Plunger does nothing.

So I open the p traps and get all of the water out of the sinks and throw the drano water outside. I open the center cap up to see if there is a blockage. NOPE. I run a plumbing snake down the center as far a s it will go, which is just about my whole plumbing snake and reel it back in.

I don't want to put the center cap back on and the p traps back just to find that that water is still NOT draining.

What can I do? I already had the chemical burn on my skin LOL, so.....

Nothing appears to be blocking it.....but water would drain.

Help

DS

Attachments

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
If it's accessible enough, run a garden hose down the "cap" pipe as far as possible. Seal off around the hose, and sink inlets in the pipe with rags etc. Duct tape works good here as long as the rags and pipes are dry.
Have someone else turn on the water to the hose while you hold the rags in place, and watch for bad leaks. That SHOULD push the blockage out to the main drain. This is assuming the "cap" is the main drain for the sinks, and the left and right sinks empty into this "cap" pipe.

G

·
This is why you need to stop dumping your cocaine down the drain every time someone knocks at the door..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sounds like you have a clog deeper in the system probably where your drain pipe for your sink connects with your main drain pipe. Sewer or septic? Subfloor or slab?
How long of a snake did you run through the pipe?

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
See if you can find a plumber or a hardware store who will rent you a "tape" ( I don't know the correct word for it) It is like a fishtape, but you feed it down thru the vent stack (your clogs is probably not in the p trap areas. Sometimes they will come with a small ball on the end, but when I am first testing it out, I like to remove the ball as sometimes that just shoves the blockage further down, and a naked piece of metal will puncture the clog. This is assuming you have disassembled the traps under your sink and no clog is there...., but it sounds from your description of the way the clogged water runs that this is not the problem.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:

After about 4-5 hours worth of work I STILL have a clogged kitchen sink.

I'm on a slab. I ran my 25' snake down every cap under the sink, but only got about 18-20' or so down. Don't know if I'm at a blockage or where it dumps into main pipe and is getting hung up.

I ran my snake (Chdamn is thinkin dirty thoughts by the way) on the OUTSIDE clean trap. I ran about 20' into the house before it wouldn't go any further. Again, don't know if I'm at a blockage or where it breaks off to the other plumbing in the house.

I ran my garden hose about 25 to 30' in the OUTSIDE trap with it on trying to flush any blockage out. The Mrs. would flush the 2 toilets when I would advise and nothing but clear water came by.

I plunged the everlasting crap out of the kitchen sink and noticed the water became more and more greasy.

Tried THRIFT crystals with boiling hot water and that did NOT work.

So right now I have 2 sinks about 1/4 full of the Thrift acid cleaner stuff.

I'm guessing a plumber with a camera is gonna have to come and try to find the blockage. I'm outta ideas. A friend was over for about an hour helping and his dad is a plumber. After exhausting all of his ideas, he gave his dad a call who advised to snake up to the vent under the sink. Did so, and Nada. This was of course BEFORE the Thrift.

I thought about using my air compressor and blowing air down the line to try and blow the blockage loose....but was advised that all that air would come back...so i haven't done that.

Frustrated:

DirtySCREW

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Was it a hand crank snake? You could try Home Depot rental of motorized big and bad one. But it's sounding like you trying all the right things. Compressed air could work, but how old is the plumbing under there? You could burst an old pipe and then really be in trouble without moving the clog.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was it a hand crank snake? You could try Home Depot rental of motorized big and bad one. But it's sounding like you trying all the right things. Compressed air could work, but how old is the plumbing under there? You could burst an old pipe and then really be in trouble without moving the clog.
Yea, its a hand snake. Plumbing is 13 years old.
House was built in 99.
DS

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
I'm using the hell out of my hand snake right now otherwise you could borrow it.

Well I don't know if using is the operative word.......more like choking the crap out of it.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone think a shop vac would help at all? If I can't push the blockage out...maybe I can suck it up? Just spit ballin here.

DS

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Sounds to me like there's grease in the line and the hand crank snake isn't breaking it up. If so you'll more than likely need to rent an electric snake and run it til it hits the point of blockage and let it keep turning til it breaks loose.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.