Dark Knight Shooting | Page 6 | Carolina Shooters Club

Dark Knight Shooting

Discussion in 'Firearms News and Firearms related political news' started by NCFlyfisher, Jul 20, 2012.

1. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Twitter has been far more up to date than any of the "news" sites all day... You just have to filter through the BS like you do anything else.

2. Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider Invictus Club Subscribed

For those who don't know him, this is sarcasm. ;-)

3. Dorton

Dorton ... Club Subscribed

Just got an email from Gun Owners Of America. Not sure if this was posted earlier on here or not.
    In CO it is legal to carry in a theater,but, this one decided to protect its patron by having a "No Guns Policy".

Whether or not it would make a difference..? Can't go back in time, what is done is done. But if he have up that easily to the
    police, who's to say he wouldn't have stopped earlier if someone was armed and could have attempted to stop the slaughter.

4. sr30

sr30 Wings of Gold 1990

Not to derail the thread, but Im just an anti-twitter kind of guy.

5. drypowder

drypowder Les Deplorables Club Subscribed

Raleigh, a little east of the Fairgrounds
    I was thinking this as well. The guy isn't some hardened combat vet. Even a non-incapacitating hit might have caused him to rethink things. And it certainly would have slowed him down, allowing more people to get the hell out of there.

6. pirate

pirate Ad Victoriam Club Subscribed

We all know that these types of tragic events are likely to continue because of the collapse of the moral and social fabric of this nation. We as a society are literally breading these nut cases and sociopaths. So what do we do as a nation? It obvious that our government cannot help solve these problem, it exacerbates the problem more than helps, and we all certainly know more knee jerk gun control is not the answer. We will be bombarded by the liberal media, leftest politicians and Hollywood types with calls for more and tougher gun controls, we know that is coming. So the big question is what do we as patriots and supporters of the Second Amendment do now? What I do know is we can not allow the left to hijack our inalienable rights because of the mass hysteria surrounding these tragic events. The liberals are waiting for these moments so they can use the tragedy to move forward with their dangerous power grabbing agenda. We have to fight this agenda at every turn or we will lose the rights we all have worked and fought for. We have to do more than just talk, fret and write about it, I truly feel the time for action may be coming folks. What that entails I don't really know yet, it depends on how the events to come unfold in the near future. I just hope we have not already lost this fight and just don't realize it yet. This next election cycle my be the deciding factor.

7. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

This is a situation where I would NOT want a laser. A large dark room with smoke/gas in the air? Why not just wear a battery powered neon target? Oh wait, you would be. :)

I may be naive but I actually think that in that amount of chaos, darkness and poor visibility it might not have been impossible to manuver around behind the guy, but I'm the first to admit I'd be crapping my pants.

8. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Retired Staff Member Lifetime Member

One good thing that could come out of this (eventually once things cool down) is a lawsuit against the theater by a CCW holder that couldn't defend themself.

9. flounderfs92

flounderfs92 Member

I agree with the possibility in the chaos a ccw holder could end up behind the guy with his attention on other targets. I for one would have zero problems doing a mag dump in the back of that guys head. At that point shooting him in the back is not an issue.

10. sr30

sr30 Wings of Gold 1990

While right now might not be the right time, Im wondering where is the NRA going to be in the coming weeks? Id like to see more of their message in something other than my mailbox and American Rifleman magazine.

11. SgtSundevil

SgtSundevil U. S. Military

If concealed carry had been allowed maybe less would have died or been injured, to many responses bet this has already been addressed.

12. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Retired Staff Member Lifetime Member

just heard on the news that the cops initially thought the guy was one of them because of his swat team style outfit.

13. SgtSundevil

all soldiers duty is to run for the muzzle blast and stop them and i feel that many of us would have done that same exact thing in that situation, i would have done everything in my power to stop it and the closer i get to him and farther i get from my family the safer they are. this aint gettysburg i dont have to approach in the open, where it is easy for him. I will use the skills i know to take him out as effectively as I can, with out putting me in more danger than I already am.

so any word on the weapon type or caliber. of any of them involved

14. Chris B

Chris B New Member

Yep. Remington 870 12ga. S&W AR-15 and 2 Glock .40, model not specified

15. Chris B

Chris B New Member

It's a shame that this event has happened. I, too, agree that if places like this allowed concealed carry, this may have been handled differently. While I intend NOT to sound like the "If I had been there..." type, I have to say I would have done my best to defend the folks there. I don't believe I stand much chance against a rain of bullets, but a theater of rightfully armed citizens may have done this guy the justice he deserves.

16. Jdp751

Jdp751 Registered Member

This shooting is probably going to set us back 10 years and we may never fully recover from it. Yes they're going to try and take our second amendment away, just think about it who else can our government and state come after, they cannot take the weapons away from the criminals they know that will never happen. ((the honest citizens are the only ones that are government and state can control)) why because we let them plain and simple . and besides most people that make a living from the criminals would be out of a job if they were no criminals judges that make a couple hundred thousand dollars a year keep putting them back out on the street, I guess it's job security. And back to our government if this soldier needed help from being in the military they should have helped him, people in the military always get the short end of the stick from our government. And if you want to see a movie go into South Carolina where you can legally carry if you pay admission. If this person's own mother could tell there was something wrong how is it he slipped through the evaluations that military makes on soldiers coming from a stress combat environment they probably didn't want to spend the money on him.

17. gamemaster

gamemaster Member

Spot on. The law makers in NC should not be allowed to keep me from defending my self or family in this type of situation. It like having your hands tied.

18. SgtSundevil

he has a constitutional right to a trial buy a jury of his peers, he should get a trial by a jury of his peers, and I say his peers should be those people he killed, let their voices sing loud and clear to his innocence or guilt and let him die by the same means that he killed, by firing squad.

19. Chris B

Chris B New Member

Elaborate please....

20. Chris B

Chris B New Member

Even though you're a Clemson fan... I'm forced to agree

21. jjwestbrook

jjwestbrook Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

SC doesn't have the law that says no carry anywhere that charges admission. however all the theaters i have seen in sc are posted legally

22. Shocker73

Shocker73 Registered Member

With all do respect, now that we know he was in full body armor, engaging the shooter may have only exacerbated the situation and caused more fatalities; likely the person brave enough to engage him. While I FULLY support the defense of innocent bystanders, (certain) situations require restaint until professionals arrive.

23. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

Haha. First. If you had one of them there cop killer pistols body armor wouldn't matter

Second.......ahhhh Nevermind.

Blame any misspellings and or grammatical errors on the ridiculously small keypad on my phone. Friggin tappatalk my butt.

24. tilefish

tilefish Dog Defender Club Subscribed

Are you guys watching the press conference right now? The Governor is giving a rambling, nonsensical speech, its really bad. I have no idea what he is even talking about.

25. NCFlyfisher

NCFlyfisher New Member

First, my condolences to the victims and their families. Such a tragedy...

Second, an former neuroscience student (according to the media) does his own test experiment? Something else had to set this idiot to plan out such an extreme act. I wished the news would focus on what brought him to this point but stories like this involving firearms they so love since they think it sells more to their viewers.

On my end and if I was sitting there at the movie, having the choice to protect myself is a clear & documented freedom whether I decide to defend myself or not. It is my right.

The last movie I attended was the Hunger Games and it was semi-packed. A darken theater with bullets fling all around, people screaming, running and shoving to get out. Complete chaos without a doubt. Would one have the time to locate the shooter?

Remember these folks went to a movie to be entertained and enjoy themselves, not be in combat mode 24/7.

26. CriticalHomeDefense

CriticalHomeDefense Hall of Shame

Ironically, me and my female co-worker who both are licensed CC'ers talked about this tragedy throughout the day across from each others cubicle. And we obviously both were thinking the same thing, "conceal carry to work in case something crazy happens". Then I came back to reality. Such a tragedy.

As a sidenote: Why are glocks always the apparent gun of choice for the psychos that do this type of horrible acts?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  27. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

I hear exactly what you are saying and I agree that handgun rounds may not have been an effective method to stop the lunatic, but I still don't think I would have been able to not try and stop him if I had the potential means available.

28. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

The same reasons they are the most popular handguns in America with law enforcement and civilians, they work. By that I mean they are boringly reliable and absolutely efficient in function. They are also not prohibitively expensive.

Aurora, Gabby Giffords and VA Tech - all recent mass shootings/murders where the perpetrator used at least one GLOCK.

29. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

Based on the police chiefs statement, the shooter obtained the 4 weapons legally over the last 60 days at a local Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountain.

Additionally he purchased 3k rounds of .223, 3k rounds of .40 and 300 12 gauge shells via the Internet, along with "multiple high capacity magazines for the assault rifle, one of which was a 100 round drum type magazine which was recovered at the scene".

30. NCPatrolAR

NCPatrolAR New Member

I bet the panic buying is already starting