Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some just beautiful 225gr BTHP match bullets that I want to load in my win mag. I have to stay at the 3.34 length for them to fit the magazine. I suppose I don't have to use the magazine but would rather. So my question is, what's the problem with these bullets seating deeper than what I'm used to? I want to, but I don't have my notes with me, that the 220gr RN I have fired is 1.25inches-ish long and these are 1.5in-ish long. Using IMR-4831 powder

· Premium Member
5,771 Posts
You're reducing capacity in the case... that can increase pressure. Don't expect the same load to work for the RN as that bullet is probably considerably less in length. I'd start low and work back up to find what it likes.

· Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Fair enough... you may see a loss in accuracy that has less to do with the bullet weight and more to do with how you're seating it. You're going to increasing the jump to the lands and that can negatively impact your accuracy. I'm not sure if these are VLDs or not but if they are, they can be very sensitive to seating depth. Berger did a GREAT write up about this: http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/ (Worth a read for anyone that uses VLDs of any weight...)

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good read! Ok so just to be clear, there is no danger inherent in seating a bit deep, just accuracy, correct? I may do some that are seated further toward the land and not feed them through the magazine. Actually I'll try their suggestion for distance from the land.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.