Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's my problem: I have about $300-ish to spend. I have a true sickness when if comes to pistols, and am thinking about buying another one. I don't have one in mind, no clue actually. I also ALWAYS need 5.56 ammunition (or 45ACP/7.62x51/9mm/9mm Mak, etc...)and could buy 1,000 rds (5.56)with that money. So I'm kind of stuck on what I want to do.

I don't really NEED another pistol, but Dang it! I keep seeing them and thinking "hmmm.. that'd be cool!". Oh, and I'm NOT wealthy. It's been a while since I had "an extra" $300!

So My question to Y'all..... what would you do and why??

·
Vendor
8,069 Posts
Honestly,

I would take that money and buy ammo.

Take that 1000rnds and keep it, when you go to the range to shoot, rotate the stock.

You will always have 1000rnds on hand for any use.

John

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I don't know what you're in the market for, but Bud's has the Taurus TCP for $199. It dropped down the $182 earlier this week. I'm waiting for another price drop to get me one.. The other price drop was before payday :/ They've also got the Taurus 2" 327Mag for $238. Or a little bigger, Taurus 45 ACP 24/7 for $323.

Just a few ideas....Ammo is always good though

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
I think most of us are in the same boat in that we don't "need" another gun, but it's your cash so do what you will. If you're dead set on another pistol, I'd recommend looking around or calling around known dealers that stock LEO trade in Glocks. You'd be surprised how close $300 will get you to purchasing a used 22/23/17/19. You may need a little more cash to boot, but not much.

However, if you need ammo, like most of us do, (you can never have too much ammo) there are plenty of deals out there for 1k of 5.56 shipped for around $300. As a matter of fact, there's a thread in the "Hot Deals" section of the forum about 1k of Privi Partisan 5.56 M193 for around $300 shipped.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Since your not sure what you want, I would say ammo or save it. You stated you needed ammo, so that would be my first choice. If you just wanted to stock up on more ammo why not wait a bit until you have a few more dollars to spend and then get something nice that goes boom. Just a thought.

·
Vendor
6,243 Posts
I want to reload, too, sheepdog....
If I had to choose, I would buy ammo....half of it on 9mm or .223, the other half spread out among 22, 45, and whichever one DIDN'T get half....Oh, and some more 12 ga....Just in case the zombies DO show up.....LOL

If I had to pick a gun for that, it would be either a ruger P85/89/90/95 or an SR22...just bought one for $319.00 and I frikkin' LOVE IT!!!!! I am a BIG Ruger fan anyway, and my MKIII's have always been my go to plinker, but the SR22 has seen more action in the last three weeks than the MK's have seen in months....

·
Vendor
8,069 Posts
sheepdog120,

I am in the same boat, so you got me looking.

this is what I am doing by line item.

Reloader: http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=210|212|237|1011 video

Brass and bullets: http://www.topbrass-inc.com/reloading-supplies/product_details.php?item_id=89

Powder for .223 and I reload .308win on a single stage http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=1546&dir=278|283|311

Primers: http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=253&dir=278|284|316

So thats my new wish list.

John

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
$300 is right about what it cost me (actually a little less) to get set up for reloading 45acp, that's everything I needed. I got one of those 50th anniversary Lee kits for $112 shipped (it's a single stage press but that's all I need). Comes with everything you need except for dies and a caliper. Then bullets, powder and primers put me a little under $300 into it.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Im a big fan of getting a reloading set up when you have the choice. Nothing worse than being in the situation where you have more guns than you can afford to feed. The added benefit is that reloading allows you ti shoot more.....which can make you a better shooter. I'd rather be a great shot with the few guns than like some folks who have tons of guns but can't shoot to save their life if they had too.

The other option for extra money when I have it is getting some additional training from a quality instructor. Its something that you can never have enough of and the skills you pick up are worth more over the course of a lifetime.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.