DIY Powered Case Trimmer | Carolina Shooters Club

DIY Powered Case Trimmer

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Boltgun, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Boltgun

Boltgun Member

Like most reloaders, I find the hobby relaxing and enjoying. Except case trimming, I hate it, I loath it, I wish it wasn't a necessary evil.

Also, like most reloaders, I'm frugal. I love finding a good deal, or being able to get the absolute most for my dollar. This is why I had a hard time justifying a $400+ Girud or Gracey powered case trimmer, I'm sure they're nice, I know plenty of people who have them and love them, but i already had an RCBS Trim-Pro and it worked fine, just slowly and while giving me arthritis at an early age.

Then a few weeks ago I stumbled upon this post by sandpiper96 on Arf.
    http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=471

It seemed like a fun project, so on my day off last week, I swung by the Habitat Re-Store and Wal-Mart to get some supplies

[​IMG]

$6.40 hand mixer from wally world
    Spare drill I had in the garage, but a $15 one from Harbor Freight would do just fine

[​IMG]

Box built from a $6 sheet of laminated plywood

[​IMG]

Mount drill and mixer inside box, drill a few holes, use some screws to hold them in place.
    Zip-tie the trigger down to the appropriate speed, this one has that adjustment mounted to the trigger.

[​IMG]

Mount the Possum Hollow trimmer and power adapter, the Lee chamfer and de-burring tools are mounted in some cheapo 11/16" sockets, which are attached to the mixer shafts with epoxy putty and good ol' electrical tape.

Thats it, at some point I'll wire up some light switches and put some handles on it. But I'm pretty happy with it so far. Total investment at this point is right at $60

2. camron1039

camron1039 Member

Gotta love good ole American ingenuity. I like it!

3. Warning Shot

Warning Shot Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Dude........that is too cool.

Thanks for posting.

4. SpeedyCotton

SpeedyCotton New Member

Most excellent.

5. nics00ss

nics00ss Member

LOL that is crazy! Looks good!

6. jpeck

jpeck Registered Member

Way to go!

Looking for an egg beater this weekend! Thanks for the post.

7. Boltgun

Boltgun Member

Just a quick update, went through a batch today, 300 per hour is about as fast as I go comfortably.

No problems to speak of, besides being kinda loud, but for the price, I ain't complaining.

8. Tym

Tym Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Great idea!! Trimming is bad but I really, really hate the chamfer and debur process. I'm thinking of just using the mixer idea and I have a welder so attaching a chamfer/debur tool to each shaft would be simple. My concern is getting it true. If it weren't true how much ill affect would a slight wobble have ya reckon?

Tym

9. Boltgun

Boltgun Member

My de-burring setup wobbles a little, i think it has to do with using a 6pt socket vs a 12pt on the chamfering side, honestly even with a little wobble I've noticed no ill effects.