Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
All bleeding stops eventually
22,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it blind without any info one time, Easy to take apart, hard to put back together....

Getting the sear back in smooth gave me trouble until I found this site;

http://guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

This is one of the best and easiest to understand set of instructions out there. The field strip page is better than Ruger's manual (the manual that leaves a step out for reassembly) which has been the bane of Ruger owners for several years.

Throw the printed manual away.

Use the link above.

Win.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
+1 on that. I think steps 5 and 6 were what I've always missed on reassembly. Probably eventually hit that combo somehow inadvertently, but hopefully assembly will be quicker next time.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
You beat me to it Bennnn! I was also gonna post about the Mark III's and link to that site. I have a 22/45 that I put a VQ sear in as well as a Sam Lam bushing (Canadian guy that sells 'em for $10!!). It does away with the magazine disconnect safety crap Ruger puts in there.
I haven't had a chance to go shoot her though since I made my "upgrades".

--DirtySCREW

·
22,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You beat me to it Bennnn! I was also gonna post about the Mark III's and link to that site. I have a 22/45 that I put a VQ sear in as well as a Sam Lam bushing (Canadian guy that sells 'em for $10!!). It does away with the magazine disconnect safety crap Ruger puts in there.
I haven't had a chance to go shoot her tough since I made my "upgrades".

--DirtySCREW
I love Volquartsen's stuff. One of these days when I'm done with school I'm going to send one off for their custom shop Mark III conversion. This is the configuration I like the best.

View attachment 98

·
22,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That might actually get me to buy a ruger - purdy ;)
LOl, be advised; if you buy the Mark III (new) stock for $400-500, and then send it to them, they subtract $320 from their $1300 price and do the conversion on your pistol, and send you the factory parts they don't use back with your pistol.

So, it's cheaper to buy one of theirs for the straight $1300, unless you can find one stock for less than $320.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Thank you! Printed it off for future reference. My Mark III is probably my favorite pistol, but I had swore I would not take it apart again unless it quit running. Disassembly was a breeze but finally an hour later by the owners manual instructions, I held my tongue right and it jumped by together automagically.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I'm glad you got it Remshooter.

I still fault Ruger for an inferior design in disassembly/reassembly. I was on the fence between the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger 22/45. I ended up with the Ruger and and it is dead on accurate. I may have to check out the SR22 as it is like a normal gun for disassembly.

--DirtySCREW

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I took my Mk III 22/45 completely apart and replaced the innards with VQ parts. Took me about 15 minutes to disassemble. Took me three days to get it back together correctly with the VQ parts. Recently a friend asked me to do his. I told him about the difficulty I had with mine and if he wanted to try it we'd do it. Brought it over one Saturday morning. Took a little over two hours to do the whole thing correctly. The difference was that there were four hands (read twenty fingers) to do the job. I could tell him to hold a piece down while I pushed forward or back etc. Both of these are tack drivers now.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
BudE, I did the same on my mark III target version. Took it apart, started putting in the VQ parts...almost threw the whole setup in the trash at one point. Finally got it back together hours later and love it with the upgrades. The VQ trigger package is awesome.

The site listed above would have been a godsend back then...and a third hand. I also swore i would never completely strip it again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.